Repetitive Login

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Since this new forum change I have to log-in each and every time I come here.

That means if I come back ten minutes after I've closed the MC window they require me to type in my username again. Sure, the information pops up as having been saved after typing a few letters and then I can press the log-in button, but it's friggin' irritating and redundant! And redundant. And redundant. Why the change? The only other site I know of that has this sort of setting is online banking. :rolleyes:

The old system kept me logged in until I chose to log off. I liked that. Bring it back please!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jamie,

This doesn't appear to be an issue on this end in either IE8 or Firefox 3. What browser are you using? Have you tried testing this in multiple browsers? If so, which ones. You may want to try deleting your cookies as well.

Thanks for any additional info you can provide. We'll try to get this working for you.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er Jamie... If you've been logged out of the forum, you have to log back in, and I know the process because it's happened to me a few times as well. But to avoid having to log back in every time you come back to MC...

The log-in window asks you to type your user name and password. And next to that, there should be a handy-dandy "Remember me" checkbox. Check that and you should be golden or green or not blue or whatever color it is frogboys are.

Hope this helps.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First off, I'm not a newby. I understand how this stuff works. All these solutions sound fine and nice and of course I thought of them before posting, but none of them work no matter what browser I use. This is a Muppet Central Forum specific problem. I never log out nor is there any software on my computer that logs me out of anything. This is not on my end and it's still quite irritating.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Still messing with me just as much!

Since the server move this new configuration keeps signing me out upon every computer and internet device I've tried. The saved parameters always require me to type in a few letters of my username and then it fills in the rest depending on how much energy the server has at the moment. This bites. It is not my computer. It's definitely something in the new settings. It's just irritating and inspires me to jet from here and go to Pigs, Mindset, Fans or many other available options that remember me when I visit. This could end up being a permanent vacation. :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since the server move this new configuration keeps signing me out upon every computer and internet device I've tried. The saved parameters always require me to type in a few letters of my username and then it fills in the rest depending on how much energy the server has at the moment. This bites. It is not my computer. It's definitely something in the new settings. It's just irritating and inspires me to jet from here and go to Pigs, Mindset, Fans or many other available options that remember me when I visit. This could end up being a permanent vacation. :rolleyes:
Just because you're logged into your account on one computer, doesn't mean you're still logged in when you get on another computer or device, unless they're all connected like a network, but otherwise...

It all has to do with cookies and caches and such.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Snowth, that's not quite what Jamie is saying.... I believe what he means is that if he logs into his account (no matter what computer/browser/device he is using) and then goes to a different website using the same browser window, then returns to MC he has to log in again, no matter how long it has been. Usually MC automatically logs me out after 30 minutes of inactivity, but Jamie is being logged out after even 10 minutes of inactivity.

(Did that clear things up?)

Sorry this is happening Jamie, I wish I could help!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, my bad.

In that case, it has to do with the forum's software's settings: all forums automatically log you out after a certain period of inactivity if you DON'T select the "Remember me" or "Keep me logged in", etc option, which I believe you DID say you do, right Jamie?

Based on what I've seen with MC, and other vBulletin forums, you're automatically logged out after an hour of inactivity if you didn't select remember me, while other forum services, it usually ranges between maybe 10 and 15 minutes... but again, it all depends on the individual forum's settings.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh, my bad.

In that case, it has to do with the forum's software's settings: all forums automatically log you out after a certain period of inactivity if you DON'T select the "Remember me" or "Keep me logged in", etc option, which I believe you DID say you do, right Jamie?

Based on what I've seen with MC, and other vBulletin forums, you're automatically logged out after an hour of inactivity if you didn't select remember me, while other forum services, it usually ranges between maybe 10 and 15 minutes... but again, it all depends on the individual forum's settings.
Yup. That's exactly what happens. I used to stay logged in for days, but now it seems I'm only logged in for up to an hour after I've surfed away. Phillip insinuated that it was a browser or settings issue on my end so I tested on several computers, browsers and platforms in the last week and the results were the same. My browsers keep me logged into my email, my facebook and other forums, but not this one. The remember me button is only useful to fill in the information upon repeated login, but I still have to initiate that process instead of it already knowing it's me like this forum used to do a couple weeks ago. I'm perplexed. :confused: