Shalom Sesame: Passover

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The new Passover episode of Shalom Sesame will be playing on PBS during the coming week. Just thought you'd like to know!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Alright! Man... I remember the last time I saw the first Passover episode... that Pinball Number Count kept me from seeing any of the rest of them.

Man, I really wish they'd show more of these things on television, so I don't have to spend a fortune getting the DVD's. I'm glad they have videos on Youtube.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The episode's alright. The use of the "Asking Elmo" sketch hardly related to Passover (only relating to the Four Questions at ceders). I kinda miss the half-English, half-Hebrew type of bits. But, "Matzah in the House" is such a great bit, despite the puppeteering.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
The episode's alright. The use of the "Asking Elmo" sketch hardly related to Passover (only relating to the Four Questions at ceders). I kinda miss the half-English, half-Hebrew type of bits. But, "Matzah in the House" is such a great bit, despite the puppeteering.
They don't take Muppet inserts and make them English and dubbed Hebrew anymore? Seems like they are trying to have more of a concrete bridge to the American Sesame and Shalom Sesame than the original (where the only chance you had of seeing American Muppets was in mostly-dubbed clips).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
From what I've seen, the only times the American bits have Hebrew in them are for counting segments. Like in the Count's organ bits, all the pipes sing in Hebrew and the Count reiterates the number in Hebrew, but the skit is in English the rest of the time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They don't take Muppet inserts and make them English and dubbed Hebrew anymore? Seems like they are trying to have more of a concrete bridge to the American Sesame and Shalom Sesame than the original (where the only chance you had of seeing American Muppets was in mostly-dubbed clips).
Considering I've only seen the Hanukkah one, which used a LOT of footage from Elmo's World Happy Holidays, I kinda like learning more about the culture than see how the characters sound like in Hebrew. Even with the older ones. I used to have a tape of them taped off TV, and I would fast forward past the dubbed stuff most of the time.

Plus, it really seems to me that this was made for a younger audience than the last one... it feels more gentle this go around. Though I will say, I dislike how the celebs are just "there" this time, and clearly filmed during their Sesame Street word of the day tapings. But I DO love how Grover is visiting the set (it is the actual, set, right?)

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Plus, it really seems to me that this was made for a younger audience than the last one... it feels more gentle this go around. Though I will say, I dislike how the celebs are just "there" this time, and clearly filmed during their Sesame Street word of the day tapings. But I DO love how Grover is visiting the set (it is the actual, set, right?)
I'm pretty sure it is, or even if it's not it's definitely in Israel. I doubt we'll see something like the last 3 Shalom Sesame shows from the last set, which I'm seriously convinced they just shipped the Kippi and Oofnik puppets to NY and filmed those shows in the regular Sesame studios.

That said, interesting that they are not dubbing these half-English/half-Hebrew, less nightmare fuel. :smile: And better for collectors who want the Muppet inserts.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, interesting that they are not dubbing these half-English/half-Hebrew, less nightmare fuel. :smile: And better for collectors who want the Muppet inserts.
I dunno why... when the 1988 series (and I was really young then) came about, the dubbing didn't seem to bother me at all... but somehow, when I saw the revival episodes they were very jarring (Pinball Number Count especially, due to the lack of rhythm). And that kept me from seeing later episodes of that season.

I will say, I'm not completely convinced that they shipped everyone over there, at least from what I saw. They definitely would have had some more pinch hitting from NY area Muppeteers if they did....

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I dunno why... when the 1988 series (and I was really young then) came about, the dubbing didn't seem to bother me at all... but somehow, when I saw the revival episodes they were very jarring (Pinball Number Count especially, due to the lack of rhythm). And that kept me from seeing later episodes of that season.
Well, there was only one show after the Passover one. You didn't miss much, just songs. :sing:

I will say, I'm not completely convinced that they shipped everyone over there, at least from what I saw. They definitely would have had some more pinch hitting from NY area Muppeteers if they did....
I'm talking about the last three (Aleph-Bet Telethon, Passover, Kids Sing Israel). I don't know, those last three seem a bit distinct from the others (lack of the actual Rechov Sumsum set, no on-location footage in Israel, etc.) But I could be wrong. :grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, there was only one show after the Passover one. You didn't miss much, just songs. :sing:
They showed the rest for a full week, I forget which ones... but I tell you what I missed, and I'd almost pay the fortune to get the DVD... Jerry Stiller. Of course, I didn't appreciate or even know him then (and I only knew his wife through ALF)... but Jerry Stiller makes EVERYTHING grand. King of Queens, Heavyweights, Teacher's Pet, even those Capital One commercials... I want to see that movie where he plays an angry director. I can't even remember the name of it or if it's on DVD or not.

As far as the Passover episode, well, seeing a list, I know they showed it out of order. They waited specifically for Passover, which was the first day School vacation week in my state, so that one aired first. The others followed for a week. I think I flipped through one day and caught part of the Telephone Rock of the Alphbet Telethon... sound off of course.