Will there be a big Muppet gathering this year?

beaker

Reaction score
It's been ten years since Muppetfest in Santa Monica, California. Who here says it's time to have another big Muppet fan gathering? Star Wars, Trek, even Firefly fans have official gatherings all the time.

With the D23 expo across from Disneyland coming up in late August, you know they're going to have a whole day dedicated to the Muppets like they did in 2009. Maybe that could be an official big Muppetfestish like gathering? (Since its doubtful Disney will have an official one like they do for star wars fans) And then of course, people should organize local Muppet fan gatherings for when the movie comes out.

I think it's time Muppet fans get a little louder, a little prouder...I see Dr Who, Torchwood, Trekkers, Star Wars fans, Transformers fans, Whedon and Firefly fans, etc with a very large and loud presence online. Even offline ya run into them. But Muppet fans...still seems as underground as ever for some reason.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
... an official big Muppetfestish like gathering?
Yikes! I definately read that as Muppetfetishish. :eek: Totally different kind of get-together. *coughs*

Just thinking out loud here, I think the underground nature is because we are so very spread out... there are just less die-hard fans, and those who are aren't extremely vocal. Maybe it's just comes with the Muppet territory; we're a friendly bunch and don't claw our way tooth and nail through conventions like a lot of fandoms, lol.

I would LOVE to go to something like this; alas, student loans. :cry:

beaker

Reaction score
It's interesting how virtually everyone on the planet visually can recognize at least a few Muppet or Sesame characters...and pretty much every single person in North America knows who the Muppets are and may have their favorite one. So many people light up and smile when they see me with a Muppet shirt or furry Muppet hat on. Yet...the actual fandom for it seems quite underground. I remember when Farscape in 2003 had a huge online and offline presence, far outweighing the rest of JHC fandom. Very rarely have I ever encountered an actual active Muppet fan offline...even rarer are people who keep up to date. Though as I mentioned in another thread, perhaps this is akin to the 94-96 period for Star Wars fans when SW fandom had been a bit stagnant and less mainstream.

I proposed a similar gathering in 2009 when Disney devoted a lot of the Sunday D23 events to the big Muppet event they had there, but there didnt seem to be much interest. I hope to attend D23 this year, and even though Im not much of a Disneyana fan per se(tho I do like Pixar), I expect they'll have a lot of Muppet stuff given the film will at that point be 3 months away.

I missed out on going to San Diego Comic Con, PAX Expo and other nerdish events...dont wanna miss D23. But yeah, I tend to go to a lot of conventions and you see a lot of open and front fans of many different shows and film series.

TikiColadas

Reaction score
I am a huge Muppet Fan and have been since I was 4. I live in Dallas and would love just to meet local fans in my area. Maybe we can start some sort of local gatherings? Who here is in Dallas?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has Disney announced anything yet as far as what exactly will be at D23? Any insiders here who can offer a clue?

*still snickering at the "Muppetfetish" malapropism*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I am a huge Muppet Fan and have been since I was 4. I live in Dallas and would love just to meet local fans in my area. Maybe we can start some sort of local gatherings? Who here is in Dallas?
Arlington?

Fraggline

Reaction score
Hey, I'm in! That sounds great! To meet hundreds of people who also believe in Muppets and dreams and innocent television for everyone would be the best! This should definitely be carried out.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I'd be all for a Muppet themed convention especially since I didn't make it to the official one years back. But unfortunately, conventions cost a LOT of money, and I'm not sure if they would be able to drum up enough business for it to be an all out success. And plus it would mean getting Disney involved which would be expensive as well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, recently I was wondering if Henson would even do a fan convention without the Muppets. Maybe call it Hensonfest and focus on what Henson owns. Of course I'd rather go to a convention that includes the Muppets.

I wonder if a Sesame Street Fest would be realistic.

beaker

Reaction score
I'd be all for a Muppet themed convention especially since I didn't make it to the official one years back. But unfortunately, conventions cost a LOT of money, and I'm not sure if they would be able to drum up enough business for it to be an all out success. And plus it would mean getting Disney involved which would be expensive as well.
Well thats why I was saying it should piggy back on an event already going on. Like D23, or those screening events where performers show up with their signature muppet. Noone ever talks about organizing fan gatherings in various cities, yet there are continually these Muppet related events...always wondered why that is.

You know, recently I was wondering if Henson would even do a fan convention without the Muppets. Maybe call it Hensonfest and focus on what Henson owns. Of course I'd rather go to a convention that includes the Muppets.

I wonder if a Sesame Street Fest would be realistic.
There's been some LA area Henson events, sometimes they even have Karen Prell with Red. But I was more talking about fan gatherings at performer related events/screenings, or even for when the film is out.

Realistically southern California seems to be the only logical place for an all out Muppetfest type event, since everyone/everything involved is there. Im excited to hear what Diz has planned for D23, hopefully they announce the lineup/schedule soon