Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

beaker

Reaction score
Not to be mean, but here's pretty much the standard boy who cried wolf-take with an ocean of salt approach when it comes to(and always has come to) non Muppet JHC projects: Don't believe it til it's in the can.

Remember in 1998 on MC when Brian Henson announced the Dark Crystal prequel? While the Farscape miniseries did in fact happen after the show's cancellation thanks to fan support...and we have gotten a few clips/pilots of one off HA! shows online...most if not all of the reported JHC projects never happen.

I'm sure Drtooth has a better memory of the long litany of never-had-a-chance-of-happening projects announced, but the Fraggle Rock movie/DC2/Doozer cgi kids show is just the tip of the iceberg.

In fact, I'm wondering if there's a list of any exciting JHC announcements that have ever been seen to completion and released since the late 1990's? (not including PBS kids shows and that sort of thing)

Drtooth

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, the FR movie will never happen. It's closer to happening without Weinstine, but still a billion miles from ever happening. Even if they did manage to get the film into production with them, I'm sure they would have sicked script doctors to destroy the film so it plays to no one. You know, like everything else out there... you could get lucky and make a Chipmunks, but you'll more or less wind up with Marmaduke.

I wish they could at LEAST freaking focus on one smaller project at a time and not try to make another huge film that keeps getting stopped in production forever then starts over only to get stuck again. Happytime Murders would have given them a name in the college film going crowd at LEAST! But seriously, if they can get 2 CGI kid's shows off the ground, Doozers SHOULD have happened.

Convincing John

Reaction score
The Muppet web videos (Popcorn, Ode to Joy, and of course Bohemian Rhapsody) were really popular and played a part in getting the Muppets back into the public eye again. This, in turn, generated interest to do the movie which we will all see this Thanksgiving.

Of course, that all happened with the Mouse's Money.

The same route could be taken for Fraggle Rock to reintroduce the characters to the audience. I'm not talking about song parodies. If they had some kind of short Traveling Matt segments, that might work to advertise the Henson Company. Matt was known for bumbling around the world, not understanding anything. Since the film industry loves "fish out of water" stories, well, that's what Matt's all about. Only with Matt, those bits were well written and Dave Goelz did an excellent job with him.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I like the idea of the Scissor Sister's involvement. They would NEVER have been my first choice, but listening back, I can see the resemblance in the music; in "I don't feel like dancing" especially.

This could be great for publicity and great for the Fraggles.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The same route could be taken for Fraggle Rock to reintroduce the characters to the audience. I'm not talking about song parodies. If they had some kind of short Traveling Matt segments, that might work to advertise the Henson Company. Matt was known for bumbling around the world, not understanding anything. Since the film industry loves "fish out of water" stories, well, that's what Matt's all about. Only with Matt, those bits were well written and Dave Goelz did an excellent job with him.
I've been saying that since Ode to Joy. Sesame Street FINALLY got the hint and came up with that Old Spice parody and Conversations with Bert. All I'm saying is rebuild Matt, get Dave and have him interact with various silly creatures LIVE. Who of us would not want to see that? Henson NEEDS to step up for the internet market. Jim would've ran with the opportunity. He loved new media, and if he were still around, you can bet there would be YT channel all his own devoted to playing with it, puppetry, animation, whatever. That's the kind of wizkid Jim was. The fact Disney beat them to the punch is either a testament to the fact they need stronger leadership at Henson or the fact that even Disney got it right on the first try.

Not even just Fraggles. Play around with the Puppet Up characters. Don't just use the channel as a graveyard for unsold pilots. I mean, we're thankful we can see them, but how about some new stuff as well?

beaker

Reaction score
Actually, many of us several YEARS ago were wondering why JHC isnt doing viral videos for youtube with the characters(especially Uncle Matt) out in the real world.
Muppets started doing this in 2008. Then Sesame came stepped up and have done a few viral videos(Cookie Monster's SNL spoof, Bert's old spice spoof, etc) last year.

JHC does upload videos all the time to their youtube account, though mostly archival stuff(a lot of good gems there!) Why they don't have their Henson Alt characters out mucking around in Southern California, no idea. Youd think they would have been on the ball with all that stuff.

But apparently, it's too much trouble to have Red, Matt, etc in youtube viral shorts. (really a no brainer to do so)

Drtooth

Reaction score
As I said, Jim would've had his own personal YT account and put anything and everything he could up on it. Animation, puppetry, experimental films... Jim embraced film and television that much that something like YT would have drove him nuts, just itching to take advantage of the new medium. Even at the age he would have been if he were still around.

For JHC to spend their account using archival stuff alone (which, we are VERY VERY thankful for) seems like wasting potential. I mean, they're having such a hard time getting FR back out into the public, why not make some Red Fraggle videos or something. The Puppet's built.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As I said, Jim would've had his own personal YT account and put anything and everything he could up on it. Animation, puppetry, experimental films... Jim embraced film and television that much that something like YT would have drove him nuts, just itching to take advantage of the new medium. Even at the age he would have been if he were still around.
I agree, I can definitely see Jim embracing New Media projects. And doing documentaries about them, lol.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Actually, I think we maintain the right to be excited about a failed potential future project that we all hope and pray will one day rise like a Phoenix from the ashes or a toe-tickler from a cave as a beautiful butterfly.

Fra:smirk::coy:les F:sigh:rever