Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Garrgh! We've been lied to! "Mom and Dad Have a Big Fight; D.W.'s Big Wish" was supposed to be on today, and what did we get? Well, I don't know, but as soon as I heard Arthur sound like a girl, I changed the channel.

Drtooth

Reaction score
During "Desk Wars", many seasons later, Ratburn has to leave class to take an emergency phonecall, which turns out to be from his sister, telling him he's an uncle.
I dunno... maybe she found someone who could tolerate her sickeningly sweet nature and they got married in that time frame?

I feel sorry for THAT kid.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask for the longest time... what's everybody's favorite title card sequence? Personally, my favorite's the swimming one. I also kind of like the one that seemed to be used exclusively during Season One, where Arthur's suddenly drenched by the rain, and digs for an umbrella.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed this, this is something that just now occured to me...

Anytime the show does a flash-forward sequence, and we see the gang either as teenagers in high school/college, or all grownup, Buster's the only one who goes through a voice change? Arthur, D.W., Francine, Muffy, Binky, Brain, etc, all their voices still sound exactly the same older as they did when they were eight, but Buster somehow is a different story.

Actually, I take that back, whenever they do sequences where they're really old senior citizens, they at least do fake stereotypical old people voices.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anytime the show does a flash-forward sequence, and we see the gang either as teenagers in high school/college, or all grownup, Buster's the only one who goes through a voice change? Arthur, D.W., Francine, Muffy, Binky, Brain, etc, all their voices still sound exactly the same older as they did when they were eight, but Buster somehow is a different story.

Actually, I take that back, whenever they do sequences where they're really old senior citizens, they at least do fake stereotypical old people voices.
Well, with Buster anyway, he's an adult voice actor and always been one. Sometimes they have lower voices, sometimes they don't...sometimes they do that bad stereotype old person voice like you said.

What bugged me was that episode where D.W. had Hiccups the second time and had the fantasy sequence she was an old woman, the only thing that changed was the color of her hair. Now was that intentional? I mean, I KNOW even 5 year olds know they grow up and look different. or were the animators/artists just too lazy to come up with an elderly D.W. design.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, over the years, the show has managed to take background characters and turn them into recurring characters, like Fern, George, Baby Kate and Pal, random kids in D.W.'s preschool, that gray rabbit in the orange sweater from Arthur's class, but there's one character who really deserves to be written for more, and that's Grandpa Dave.

He's in the main titles, and he's been seen in the background at family gatherings, but he's really only had like one episode where we get to know him ("Grandpa Dave's Country Farm"); I'd really like to see more of him, and Arthur and D.W. interact with him, because we've seen them with Grandma Thora so many times over the years.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
There was also that one episode where he tells them about a map and they steal it to find out it was a fake that Grandpa Dave made to spend time with them. But then again, he did spend almost the entire episode sleeping...it was kinda sad. It was almost as if they didnt know what to do with him so they decided that hes old and old people sleep a lot.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, over the years, the show has managed to take background characters and turn them into recurring characters, like Fern, George, Baby Kate and Pal, random kids in D.W.'s preschool, that gray rabbit in the orange sweater from Arthur's class, but there's one character who really deserves to be written for more, and that's Grandpa Dave.
Oh, he IS going to be the subject of an episode next season....

he's going to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease! :eek:

If nothing else, it explains his slow decline in that treasure map episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, he IS going to be the subject of an episode next season....

he's going to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease! :eek:
Are you froggin' serious?!

Need we more proof that the writers are OUT OF IDEAS?!

I mean seriously, if I thought giving Mrs. MacGrady cancer was a loss for better ideas, giving Grandpa Dave Alzheimer's is icing on that cake.

I hope they do it well, because my own grandfather died of Alzheimer's.

TSSD

Reaction score
^I can't believe it either. I just found it on Youtube but I'm only about a minute into it.

Youtube

I really hope they did this well too, my Great Grandmother had Alzheimer's, and passed away a few years ago.

Oh, and a sidenote. This is the first new episode I've watched in a while, and is it just me, or does Arthur sound way too much like a girl, a lot more than he used to?