Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is the first new episode I've watched in a while, and is it just me, or does Arthur sound way too much like a girl, a lot more than he used to?
That's the way he's BEEN sounding since about 2005 or so... that's one of the reasons I can't bring myself to watch any new episodes, because it's irritating to listen to Arthur sound more like D.W. and D.W. sound more like a chipmunk.

The last good Arthur actor they've had was during whatever seasons it was that brought us episodes like "Elwood City Turns 100" and "April 9" and episodes like that, he sounded closer to the original Arthur since the original Arthur grew into his voice.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Are you froggin' serious?!

Need we more proof that the writers are OUT OF IDEAS?!

I mean seriously, if I thought giving Mrs. MacGrady cancer was a loss for better ideas, giving Grandpa Dave Alzheimer's is icing on that cake.

I hope they do it well, because my own grandfather died of Alzheimer's.
If there's one episode I always support, it's explaining diseases, disorders, and disabilities. That is VERY important work they're doing. Is Dora going to talk to kids about Asperger's? Is Mickey in the Clubhouse going to talk about cancer? These are things that effect kids by way of their friends and family. If someone I knew had a disease and I couldn't have it explained to me by adults that want to hide me from the truth, I'd want an honest program that deals with the problems of growing up to tell me what's going down with my aunt that I'm close with.

Though they HAVE been doing a lot of these lately.

That's the way he's BEEN sounding since about 2005 or so... that's one of the reasons I can't bring myself to watch any new episodes, because it's irritating to listen to Arthur sound more like D.W. and D.W. sound more like a chipmunk.

The last good Arthur actor they've had was during whatever seasons it was that brought us episodes like "Elwood City Turns 100" and "April 9" and episodes like that, he sounded closer to the original Arthur since the original Arthur grew into his voice.
Eh... that's why most cartoon studios go with older women doing the voices of kids. They're not always authentic sounding, but at least they don't have to be replaced every time someone goes through puberty. There's always an inconsistency of how recast kid voice actors sound.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Oh, he IS going to be the subject of an episode next season....

he's going to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease! :eek:

If nothing else, it explains his slow decline in that treasure map episode.
Oh, he IS going to be the subject of an episode next season....

he's going to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease! :eek:

If nothing else, it explains his slow decline in that treasure map episode.
O_O wow...just...wow. Wasn't expecting that.

I'm all for shows teaching kids about illnesses and stuff, because its part of life that they need to know, but it seems like now they are doing it because they really are running out of ideas.

Anyway, what happened to Slink and the rest of the Tough Customers that arent Rattles or Molly? They all seemed to have just dissapeared. Some of them were basically background characters there so their lunch table didnt look empty, but why did they not develope them more? I mean, Fern went from background character to annoying main character. They should at least bring Slink back. They at least established a personality for him...

Drtooth

Reaction score
If it's something Grampa's going through, I don't think they're running out of ideas.

"In my Africa" YES.... but that one, not so much. I just checked it out... very moving episode, and I like Joan Rivers being an old Jewish Grandmother stereotype.

Seriously... In My Africa was the worst episode BAR NONE. I've seen some "why was this episode even made" episodes in my day, but 10 minutes devoted to a song about a continent and writing it? TERRIBLE! I SO hope D.W. and Cheik doesn't become a TV series spinoff. Postcards from Buster was boring and bad enough.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I just find it strange that this type of thing is becoming common all of a sudden. *shrugs*

Its because of that Africa episode I'm losing faith in the show (It did seem reeking of potential spinoff).

Also I dont know why that quoted twice and my phone doesnt let me edit things

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anyway, what happened to Slink and the rest of the Tough Customers that arent Rattles or Molly? They all seemed to have just dissapeared.
Well, there was an episode early on where Binky "de-founded" the Tough Customers because he didn't like the rule that forced him to punch Arthur just to show how big and bad and tough he is.

Butinterestingly enough, there's another example of turning a background character into a recurring character: that little bespectacled bunny in D.W.'s preschool is Molly's baby brother, James, in fact, there's been a couple of episodes about him, including him inviting D.W. to his backyard swimming pool, while D.W. brings Arthur, who's horrified to see that James's older sister is Molly, and later when D.W. spends the entire episode getting James to kiss her because she thinks she'll turn into a princess if a boy kisses her (after Emily bragged about a boy kissing her while she was in Paris).

Speaking of preschool, I've been doing some reading about the show, and you know that little poodle who's always seen in the background in D.W.'s class? Some are speculating she's actually Fern's little sister, but I believe Fern is an only child, isn't she? All you ever see is her and her mother, I believe that's all of the family there is.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Hm...I forgot about that episode.

But unlike most background characters, they had established a personality for Slink. So why did he just vanish? I mean, he's not even in the background anymore.

If they could make Fern and George ad James and those characters into recouring minor characters when they used to be background characters, why not Slink?

If its a voice actor thing I'm sure they could find a replacement. They are obviously not above it :stick_out_tongue:

I just happen to like Slink. Come to think of it my favorite characters usually are the bullies :smirk:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I saw the Alzhiemer's ep ages ago when it first aired over here in Aus and I thought that it was well done adn that it did tie up any loose ends over from him aging in the previous map-finding episode. They've already gone over cancer with The Great McGrady - personally one of my favourite episodes and I think that they did it rather well. Arthur seems to have a knack for gettng talking about disease/disablity and equality for those affected etc. right without going down the patronising route or having hundreds of token characters. And yes, I too am an enormous fan of Joan Rivers as Bubba - I find it hard not to be throughly entertained during the episodes graced by her presence. A good character to be sure.

EDIT - Having just read the thing about Fern - She's an only child, you see her mother and in Phony Fern you see her father, who is a postman.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
She's an only child, you see her mother and in Phony Fern you see her father, who is a postman.
Wait... there's a dad? I thought her mother was a single parent, that maybe they divorced, or maybe she was widowed or something...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask for the longest time... what's everybody's favorite title card sequence? Personally, my favorite's the swimming one. I also kind of like the one that seemed to be used exclusively during Season One, where Arthur's suddenly drenched by the rain, and digs for an umbrella.
After going through some old tapes, I just realized another title card sequence that seemed to only last for a season or so: Binky's bubblegum mishap.

Another interesting thing I've noticed is that after all these years, there have been some minor inconsistencies, however, there is one MAJOR inconsistency that continues: the exact location of the treehouse. Sometimes it's in Arthur's backyard, sometimes it's in another kid's backyard, sometimes it's in the woods, sometimes it's next to a creek, etc.