Sesame Street Season 42 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Man am I pleased to see Susan back for the episode we've all been talking about.
Harking back to the various things people have said about whether or not a disabled main character would be a positive thing, I am of the belief that 5, Rue Sesame is doing it right. By having a disabled (in this case the wheelchair using Griotte) protagonist as a regular fixture and completely uninhibited by her disability the show provides a useful lesson that keeps in regard with other fundamental SST fixtures - just because they're not the same in one way as yourself, doesn't mean they aren't a good person.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems like somehow, somewhere there's gonna be a recreation of a certain Grover based kid's book.

I WANT to see whatever it's for! It gave me goosebumps.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I hope they use that as the tune-ins for a show or two instead of Murray. I can't believe they never thought of this before!

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Some street scene news:

I had the pleasure of sitting in on an episode filming to visit my friend Caroll Spinney. It was towards the end of their shooting season back in May so my money would be it will be apart of season 43, but still its an awesome episode. Big Bird and Snuffy are contestants on the Letter of the Day Game Show where they have to put together clues to find the letter. HIGHLIGHT: This episode also includes Leela dressed as a dinosaur. Fun!

Caroll has also told me of some new GREAT SOUNDING episodes featuring the Bird, which is so refreshing to hear.
*One involves BB recieveing a new pair of pajamas from his Granny Bird and they are "the most comfy pajamas in the world." Yet he still cant fall asleep because he is not comfortable. He requires the help of Gordon and SUSAN (yep. Susan's in at least 2 episodes this year) to find out whats making him have trouble falling asleep. (I dont know the resolution. Caroll wouldnt even spoil the ending for me haha)
*Another 2 episodes involves the Bird with some celebrities, but I feel that should remain a secret! I dont want to get in trouble for too many spoilers!
*A great episode with Caroll's performance "Emmy-worthy" (according to Carol-Lynn Parente) is when Big Bird is bullied by another group of birds. Big Bird is so naive that he is not aware that being pressured to conform to other's standards is bullying. He relies on the help of Abby to help him change into what they want, including smaller feet, etc. But, even when he does so, they still do not accept him. He eventually gets consoled by Gordon, I believe.
*Big Bird greets Hansel and Gretel on Sesame Street, but they insist to leave a trail of breadcrumbs leading back to the subway to get back home.

This shows that even if the Bird is not in excessive amounts of shows this season, the episodes he is in are very special.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Matt Vogel's Twitter feed mentioned a "Good Birds Club" and saying it was a misnomer, so that looks interesting.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Wow the episodes featuring Big Bird sound great. Though, of course, I hope those are just a few and we'll likely see more of him.:wink:

The episode I'm looking forward to seeing out of that bunch definately has to be the bullying one. Sounds VERY interesting.

And agreed, Long Live the Bird, lol.
:wisdom:

ISNorden

Reaction score
Going back to what was said earlier... As a disabled person myself, I feel like there isn't a need for another Linda of the show. Linda was great and all when I was growing up, but she was like an extra to most of us that watched that era of the show. The sign language wasn't something most of us held onto, and we just remember her as the deaf girl on SS.
When I was a girl in the 70s, having a close family friend who used ASL at work made Linda feel like more than "that deaf lady" when I watched Sesame Street. Still, as the saying goes, your mileage may vary: if the majority isn't learning anything from a new character, then s/he doesn't belong on an educational show.

Writing a character into the show with a disability like Autism would be in poor taste IMO. It is like the promotion of a muppet with down syndrome/bipolar/etc. They wouldn't be able to pull it off no matter how hard they try.
The trouble with most disabled characters on TV (even in shows for an older audience) is that they develop in one of several unwanted directions:

1. The character becomes a "poster child" for whatever disability s/he has; the plot can't include him/her without showing the disability causing trouble. If some "normal" character doesn't offer help in the end, then the "poster child" has some clever, dramatic way to adapt to the problem.
  2. The character becomes a "super-crip" with some unusual interest or talent that they pursue despite the disability. Other cast members tend to brag about the character's potential as a "great disabled artist/athlete/scientist/whatever".
  3. The character becomes a "bad boy/girl" who uses the disability as an excuse to get away with problem behavior, and gives viewers the impression that most real-life people with disabilities also have attitude problems.
Linda Bove may have gotten thrown into "poster child" plots during her earliest years on Sesame Street, but in later years her deafness was notalways central to stories that included her. Aristotle (the blind Muppet) and Stacy (the wheelchair-bound girl) barely got a chance to develop past "poster child" plots; it's no wonder those characters were forgotten and retired!

As for SS getting cancelled, I think that it'll just BARELY make it to season 50. And it's not going to be about budget cuts, it won't be because Elmo is losing his popularity, and it won't be because of a celebrity. It'll just be the fact that the cast will realize that they're just not into it anymore.
I fear that Sesame Street's death will come from a combination of budget cuts and staff burnout. Without enough money to pay talented, motivated people to do the same jobs Cooney's original friends did in 1969--the few employees who remain with Sesame Workshop will lose interest and quit sometime. Whether a 50th season is enough motivation to keep the last people going, I doubt the last years of Sesame Street will be as memorable as the first.

SS is a flagship show for public broadcasting. They wouldn't get rid of it, even if it started to get stale... As it has in recent years. Just like they probably would have still been funding Mister Rogers if he hadn't retired/died.

Mr. Rogers barely gets one recent episode per weekend on my PBS station--and his show airs at 6:30 AM, when most children young enough to be interested are still asleep. If Sesame Street gets the same treatment after dying out, I'm afraid that few children will get the chance to see what a great TV show it used to be.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I really had problems with seeing the Count counting on his pip organ too many times. Especially the time where he said something like "It's time to figure out...GRRRRRRR! what's the number of the day... Hmmmm!" That one came at the end of a LOOOOOOONG day of filming, didn't it? I love the Count and all, but once they started having him sing with the Countess, watch 6 Feet Under, and count how many sheep come by until one of them's an elephant.
Yeah, the pipe-organ number announcements lost appeal pretty fast; I'm not surprised that even the Count's performer got bored with them during the shoots. (Whoever performed the organ pipes even made a few mistakes; ever notice that two pipes sing the wrong note for their number in clip #8? :batty:)

Drtooth

Reaction score
*A great episode with Caroll's performance "Emmy-worthy" (according to Carol-Lynn Parente) is when Big Bird is bullied by another group of birds. Big Bird is so naive that he is not aware that being pressured to conform to other's standards is bullying. He relies on the help of Abby to help him change into what they want, including smaller feet, etc. But, even when he does so, they still do not accept him. He eventually gets consoled by Gordon, I believe.

My Frog! That sounds like a VERY important episode, and the stuff SW SHOULD be doing. More people need to speak out about bullying, and what better place and time than Sesame Street for the younger generation. Kindergarten, sometimes preschool is when the archtype and the beginning of cliques start coming into play... that's a nice time to drill that into the kids' heads.

Mr. Rogers barely gets one recent episode per weekend on my PBS station--and his show airs at 6:30 AM, when most children young enough to be interested are still asleep. If Sesame Street gets the same treatment after dying out, I'm afraid that few children will get the chance to see what a great TV show it used to be.
Mr Rogers completely disappeared from my PBS market about a year before he died. Then, when he did, they felt obligated to bring it back... and they soon took it off the air the following season. It's not even getting the 5:30 AM on a Sunday treatment Reading Rainbow did. Still, I find the Kid's PBS digital channel a complete waste, showing shows that are currently on the air and randomly showing Antiques Roadshow and The Civil War once 5 PM rolls around. They run Julia Child, for crying out loud!

Status
Not open for further replies.