Your Thoughts: New Muppet Central Forum Features

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Also, I would like to ask if the forum staff would please make up it's mind...

Are we, or are we not allowed to have images in our signatures?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Also, I would like to ask if the forum staff would please make up it's mind...

Are we, or are we not allowed to have images in our signatures?
I'll support your concern. I feel my having provided the majority of graphics and branding at Muppet Central over the past 10 years has earned me the right to include my quick-loading, minuscule signature, but others should be able to as well.

I think the problem is that not all members have reliable image hosting so that they don't take a long time to download or cause errors. The graphics also need to be small. Mine is currently smaller than most people's text signatures. but i would have no problem seeing images up to a maximum of 80 pixels tall. It sure would help divide the posts.

I also think we should also be using REAL FIRST NAMES required somewhere in our posts. TP does it and I think we should too! No need to hide behind Muppety names.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'll support your concern. I feel my having provided the majority of graphics and branding at Muppet Central over the past 10 years has earned me the right to include my quick-loading, minuscule signature, but others should be able to as well.
Just wanted to clear the air Jamie, I wasn't singling you out, I've noticed other members still have signature images as well (though Phil did tell me personally that it's against forum rules). I didn't want you to think I was taking a shot at you.
I think the problem is that not all members have reliable image hosting so that they don't take a long time to download or cause errors. The graphics also need to be small. Mine is currently smaller than most people's text signatures. but i would have no problem seeing images up to a maximum of 80 pixels tall. It sure would help divide the posts.
You bring up interesting points, and you're right, that can be an issue, if not unreliable image hosts, but also if members have a signature image, leave MC, eventually delete the pic, and we're stuck with those lovely red Xs (or depending on the host, one of those "This photo no longer exists" replacement images). And actually, my old Abe Vigoda signature image was pretty much the average size for a signature banner, though people still complained about "how big": it was. Go fig.
I also think we should also be using REAL FIRST NAMES required somewhere in our posts. TP does it and I think we should too! No need to hide behind Muppety names.
That would make MC more chummy, BUT, there are some people out there who are still apprehensive about sharing too much personal information on the internet, and I know a few people out there who only share their real first name privately with people they know; I know, because as a moderator at another forum, I had to force another member to stop calling another member by her real first name, even after she asked politely (and repeatedly) for the other member to please stop using her real name.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to clear the air Jamie, I wasn't singling you out, I've noticed other members still have signature images as well (though Phil did tell me personally that it's against forum rules). I didn't want you to think I was taking a shot at you.You bring up interesting points, and you're right, that can be an issue, if not unreliable image hosts, but also if members have a signature image, leave MC, eventually delete the pic, and we're stuck with those lovely red Xs (or depending on the host, one of those "This photo no longer exists" replacement images). And actually,my old Abe Vigoda signature image was pretty much the average size for a signature banner, though people still complained about "how big": it was. Go fig.
That would make MC more chummy, BUT, there are some people out there who are still apprehensive about sharing too much personal information on the internet, and I know a few people out there who only share their real first name privately with people they know; I know, because as a moderator at another forum, I had to force another member to stop calling another member by her real first name, even after she asked politely (and repeatedly) for the other member to please stop using her real name.
:cool: Thanks. I was just making sure you weren't offended by my graphic. Here's the 600x80 size I was thinking would be appropriate. Anything taller than this (that's not a new, on-topic image buried in the body of a post) as a repetitive signature would break the flow of the page. Something like this adds to it and helps separate posts. I support the sort of "ribbon" featured here. It's just enough.

:wisdom:I understand the cloak of anonymity, but I think at least first names should be required to facilitate meaningful discussion. I just don't really like discussing things with "BigBird'sFeet83" unless I'm talking to the actual feet Big Bird had in 1983. (Yes, I often speak to inanimate objects. It's when they answer back that you should be worried! ) :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
:cool: Thanks. I was just making sure you weren't offended by my graphic.
Not at all, I love it! Colorful, and nice light-hearted, yet serious message. :smile:
Here's the 600x80 size I was thinking would be appropriate. Anything taller than this (that's not a new, on-topic image buried in the body of a post) as a repetitive signature would break the flow of the page. Something like this adds to it and helps separate posts. I support the sort of "ribbon" featured here. It's just enough.
I'd agree to that. Lovely banner BTW.
:wisdom:I understand the cloak of anonymity, but I think at least first names should be required to facilitate meaningful discussion. I just don't really like discussing things with "BigBird'sFeet83" unless I'm talking to the actual feet Big Bird had in 1983. (Yes, I often speak to inanimate objects. It's when they answer back that you should be worried! ) :wink:
I'm not worried at all, that's perfect, and I mean PERFECTLY normal... right BigBird'sFeet83?

BIG BIRD'S FEET FROM 1983: Right!

:eek:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Jamie, though, there are plenty of people who wouldn't want to be known by their real names here...simply because that's the wonder of a place like this, you can be anyone and anyone...My cheerful Beauregard personna was, at first, so much more zany and fun-loving than my real life one, but eventually my real self caught up and is equally as crazy...but I would never have become anything more than "Matt" had I started out that way.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not at all, I love it! Colorful, and nice light-hearted, yet serious message. :smile:
I'd agree to that. Lovely banner BTW.
It's wallpaper from the 70's. I'm considering dedicating a wall in my apartment to it!

So maybe we should all just start using 600x80 banners unless otherwise told. I'd support anybody who uses one. :attitude:

Jamie, though, there are plenty of people who wouldn't want to be known by their real names here...simply because that's the wonder of a place like this, you can be anyone and anyone...My cheerful Beauregard personna was, at first, so much more zany and fun-loving than my real life one, but eventually my real self caught up and is equally as crazy...but I would never have become anything more than "Matt" had I started out that way.
I don't know. I have a hard time believing that. :oops: hehe.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So maybe we should all just start using 600x80 banners unless otherwise told. I'd support anybody who uses one. :attitude:
I'm all for it: we've been offered the priviledge to have images in our signature before, and we have it taken away from us every time (even now, because again, Phil did tell me personally that it's against forum rules, and I had to remove my old Abe Vigoda image); but again, I'm all for a 600x80 limit.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I want to see images allowed. But very strict in size. 600x80 is more than reasonable. There should also be limits like the width and height of your images combined cant be more than that, otherwise you will have jokers with multiple huge images. heck, I would gladly make sigs for people if they need someone to. Also, no animated sigs. They are ugly and take too long to load. Speaking of loading there should also be a file size limit.

As for the names thing, no. There is a reason why I have not revealed my name.Now, if there was an optional box to enter a nickname, that would be fine as it is not pressuring people into giving away personal information they dont want to give away

dwmckim

Reaction score
I would agree real names should be encouraged but NOT a requirement (even first name). People rightly have various concerns and issues with privacy on the internet - plus let's also not forget about insiders or people who work(ed) with Henson/Muppets who may not wish to so blatently broadcast who they are.