Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
I can't believe that people are still debating whether Bert & Ernie are gay. They were spreading rumors about this when I was in high school, it's been almost 15 years since I graduated. In my opinion, I don't think Bert & Ernie are gay because they are puppets. If Sesame Workshop wants to focus on the LGBT community, they could have human characters portray a same-sex couple, not puppets.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I think puppet characters could be gay. I just don't think Bert and Ernie are. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't believe that people are still debating whether Bert & Ernie are gay. They were spreading rumors about this when I was in high school, it's been almost 15 years since I graduated. In my opinion, I don't think Bert & Ernie are gay because they are puppets. If Sesame Workshop wants to focus on the LGBT community, they could have human characters portray a same-sex couple, not puppets.
Tinseltown

That is all...

Drtooth

Reaction score
or they could be gay and just friends :frown::stick_out_tongue:
The more I think about it, Ernie just has too much arrested development to be sexually attracted to anything.

And I will not make a rubber duckie joke.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
folks would be surprised to know how many of the main people behind the Muppet Show were in fact gay(Richard Hunt, Kermit Love, etc)
What sources cite Kermit Love being gay? I'm curious, because this is new to me.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I've stated my thoughts on E&B numerous times before (see page 1 of this thread) and don't wish to retread everything (Cliffs Notes version: i'm gay, i believe some Muppet characters could be interpreted as such but E&B aren't among them...they're more about friendship in its highest ideal - true platonic friendship that transcends gender or sexuality.)

To see so much hue and cry about people wanting to see them not only acknowleged as gay but also MARRIED?! Yeesh. E&B have always been in this delightfully ambigious spot between child and adult (unlike characters like Big Bird, Elmo and Zoe who are supposed to represent a particular age) but definately more on the kid side in terms of relationships. If someone wants to see B&E get married, the first thing that comes to my mind is Ernie's punchline in the Doctor Ernie sketch when he's pretending to be a doctor examining Bert and at the end Ernie says he can't yet tell if Bert's healthy after all the tests he put him through - Bert asks when Ernie can tell him and he replies...

"Well let's see - I have 8 years of grade school, and four years of high school and four years of college and then I've got 4 years of doctor school and one year of internship and two years of residence..."
"When can you tell me I'm healthy - WHEN WHEN WHEN?"
"In about 23 years, Bert."

I think Ernie would have to give a similar type of response when it comes to when he can get married! (Be it to Bert or anyone else male, female, or unisex penquin)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I kind of think of Bert and Ernie as ageless adults, with Ernie being sort of a man-child, like Pee-wee.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I've never thought of Bert and Ernie as children. Clearly they're sharing an apartment like adults do in the city. Bert travels alone to visit his brother. They're obviously adults.