Muppet Babies DVD Box Sets

Drtooth

Reaction score
it tells me my loathing of disney is justified. :embarrassed:
Actually, it's harsh to just blame Disney... ALL major studios HATE the idea of DVD box sets that aren't sitcoms that you can watch on television or online legally for free. I mean, current shows are like 40-60 bucks each, and for the most part, cartoons can range from 15 bucks to maybe 40 at most per season. You can get the complete Bravestarr over here for like 20... and that's 60 something episodes. That is, if you don't mind the quality or the fact they're in little envelopes. WB failed to give us the rest of Animaniacs and Tiny Toons on DVD, and most of their new shows get the 4 episodes for 15 bucks treatment (as it's perpetually 1999)...

Disney knows how to put one thing and one thing only on DVD... movies. They're masters at it. They're masters of hiding a movie in an imaginary vault for 10 years only to rerelease it with a new Disney tween pop star of the year rerecording one song from the movie. They force every TV show they have into 90 minute movie formats too.

Still, I don't see ANY harm in releasing P&F in a freaking box set, even 13 episodes at a time. That's not preventing internet piracy at all.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
there does see, to be differences with uk vs us releases. For example, i saw talespin on dvd there, but it wasnt released here (gutted)

we did finally get chip n dale on dvd but only volume 1, the other volumes i couldnt find.

also i saw gummi bears there in the US too which hasnt been released here either,
what frustrates me is, these things are on youtube etc, so if the company doesnt release them im happy to watch online, but, then the company puts a stop to online watching - even when they have no intention of releasing the shows. Ok copyright - but, if the person isnt making money how can it be copyright?:grr:

And I do actually like disney, have a lot of dvds coz everytime they release a movie from the vault, i jump through hoops to get it. (the latest being beauty and the beast)

I think its more the romantisim of what Disney is supposed to stand for (ie for kids, and for adult kids, all magical etc) vs reality (disney just being a company) that deludes me somewhat. While I accept all companies need to make money, IMO disney always had a certain magic to it, but Im now seeing the magic is just a coorperate suit with a card up his sleeve :smirk:

Oh and thats just my personal opinion - like i said, i do follow disney and love the hand drawn movies. CGI? not so much.

Drtooth

Reaction score
there does see, to be differences with uk vs us releases. For example, i saw talespin on dvd there, but it wasnt released here (gutted)

we did finally get chip n dale on dvd but only volume 1, the other volumes i couldnt find.

also i saw gummi bears there in the US too which hasnt been released here either,
what frustrates me is, these things are on youtube etc, so if the company doesnt release them im happy to watch online, but, then the company puts a stop to online watching - even when they have no intention of releasing the shows. Ok copyright - but, if the person isnt making money how can it be copyright?:grr:
I fail to see why more companies don't flock to hulu or something. I mean, you can't make money off of something if you're sitting on it. There's so many Disney TV cartoons that will just disappear completely. I don't see why DVD releases will kill them. I'm furious they not only didn't finish The Tick, but they used Comedy Central edits AND cut episodes out for dubious copyright reasons (they were having a feud with Marvel at the time, because they refused to release any Marvel cartoons on DVD because they'd hurt ratings of Toon Disney airings). And they ONLY owned the Tick because Murdock had to sell a channel for some reason, and Disney got everything Saban and Fox Kids ever did.

Making things unavailable to fans INVITES piracy. And sure, there's some garbage about rights that keeps certain things from ever being released (Batman), but there's NOTHING wrong with fully owned products like Darkwing or Gargoyles. Seriously, if they're so sick of people uploading things on Youtube, either release them to home video or post them on YT or Hulu themselves.

But I stress... it isn't just Disney that does this. If it wasn't for Time Life, The Real Ghostbusters wouldn't have been released. Sony didn't want a full release of a "Kid's Cartoon."

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
I think, in reality, it comes down to growing up as it were.
As a child none of these things are known, you dont thnk about it, and you always hold cartoons in such high regard. You dont think, or know, about how companies work, so you get to watch your cartoons happily and care free. :laugh:

For example I think Disney Parks have become far far far too kidified. Part of me stands by this, and goes, yes it definately has, but the other part goes - But has it though? Or is it just that youve grown up? Wasnt it always this way?:skeptical:

Anyway I digress. If I knew then what I know now, i wouldve kept all my VHS tv shows - I had all the muppet babies / bunny rabbit picnic/ racoons/ gargoyles/ dinosaurs(which FYI hasnt had a UK release either ) etc which I just recorded off tv.

After a few years DVD came out, so I deleted my VHS as I was sure that DVD releases of all these shows would happen. Of course it didnt and that was a huge mistake.:sigh:

Oh and the reason I pick on disney so much is just because my illusion is shattered. I literally worshipped disney growing up. And I had them wrapped in this mystical magical bubble away from coorperations and normal business. But then, I was angry at disny for building euro disney in paris and not spain....

So Im sorry if it seems like I pick on them, its just coz I held them in such high regard. Still do probably otherwise I wouldnt have paid £2000 to go back to florida in 2008 JUST for the disney parks.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
and i will say this FOR disney, when it comes to their own product, such as the parks, or movies, they are **** good at what they do. Even at 27, I was greeted as a "princess" going into the park, and I felt all warm and fuzzy, and around 8 years old again lol

this is why I get angry. - muppets arent their own concept, so dint get the same treatment. If muppets had been soley disney Im sure that it wouldve got the love and care it deserved.

I kinda wish Lucas had bought the muppets.

But, I shouldnt complain, I must remember that disney are releasing a new movie, and they didnt have to, but they are, so i must give them some credit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh and the reason I pick on disney so much is just because my illusion is shattered. I literally worshipped disney growing up. And I had them wrapped in this mystical magical bubble away from coorperations and normal business. But then, I was angry at disny for building euro disney in paris and not spain....

So Im sorry if it seems like I pick on them, its just coz I held them in such high regard. Still do probably otherwise I wouldnt have paid £2000 to go back to florida in 2008 JUST for the disney parks.

I've been ranting for years, Disney isn't the only company. ALL major studios hate DVD box set releases. At least with MGM they put the Bill and Ted cartoon, even the DIC series on hulu instead of digging a pit, burying it deep and saying "watch our reality shows." WB refuses to finish anything else as well, Sony HATES adults that buy cartoons, the only companies that deliver are third and forth parties like Shout and Mill Creek.

Invader Zim would NEVER have been released on DVD had another company got the license from Nick. They're out of print, and Nick came up with a weak, bare bones "Best of" single. Seriously, these companies feel it's perpetually 1999 and 20 bucks for 2 episodes is spoiling us. They don't sell, then we never see any of them ever again.

I will say, at least Disney knows what it's doing... had it not been for DC comics, WB would be screwed. They don't know what the heck anything is. Sony just makes terrible movies and wonders why no one watches them, and blames piracy and redefines stealing... most of these entertainment companies are run by either out of touch old coots, or some young idiot kid of someone. Just like everything else.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
unfortunately us in the UK cant access HULU "this is not available in your country, sorry". I can find pretty much anything i want onlne, but, cant access it :frown:

I luckily grabbed invader zimm on dvd on my last trip there(the full box set) - but - thats coz im a HUGE johnen vasquez fan. I read all his comics- which are adult- and was amazed hed had a kids cartoon commissioned.... (if you dont know, he wrote a comic called Johnny the homicidal maniac, a few random collections of crazy art, Happy noodle boy, filler bunny, and my fave spin off of JTHM - Squee.)

and i agree about not selling = no release. Last time i saw (official) muppet baby dvds was when they released muppet baby toys - which came with ONE episode. I didnt want the toy, the quality was awful - but i wanted the dvd. BUT I wont pay £20/$20 for 1 episode or dvd. Thats a rip off. The exception being shorts - like Robot Chicken, Ill pay anything for that regardless of length coz its just worth it.

I just feel that with modern approaches and values, its all money, nothing is sacred. At least when disney first started, you believed Walt was there for the kids, and the money was just a bonus.

Maybe im just stuck in the 50's.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
yes hulu is quite annoying that it is not allowed to show it in the uk are thy hiding something no also what annoys me is so many shows are not released dvds in the uk if we can get stop the pigeon we should get talespin pee wee playhouse even the mister t cartoon or darkwing duck

Drtooth

Reaction score
The world has quite a ways to go in making television shows online available.

We need something more universal that lets you watch anything from anywhere in any language or at least with subtitles. Hulu's great if you can access it, but there's still a lot to be desired. That's all due to show production companies. WB has been a real hold out, especially with cartoons on that site. Somehow they have the Snorks and no Smurfs...

Seriously, Muppet Babies needs the nod sometime... well after the film, mind you... but sometime.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
The world has quite a ways to go in making television shows online available.

We need something more universal that lets you watch anything from anywhere in any language or at least with subtitles. Hulu's great if you can access it, but there's still a lot to be desired. That's all due to show production companies. WB has been a real hold out, especially with cartoons on that site. Somehow they have the Snorks and no Smurfs...

Seriously, Muppet Babies needs the nod sometime... well after the film, mind you... but sometime.
Dr. Tooth, where do you buy your DVDs from that you're paying up to $40 for series sets? I buy mine from DeepDiscountDVD.com and the most they'll be is $37, and there's free shipping.