Miss Piggy Guest Stars on "So Random"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I don't see why they shouldn't be able to appear on programming like this, as long as it is balanced by their appearing on grown-up programming such as WWE (in fact, I frown more upon their appearing on that than appearing on this...sheesh...)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see why they shouldn't be able to appear on programming like this, as long as it is balanced by their appearing on grown-up programming such as WWE (in fact, I frown more upon their appearing on that than appearing on this...sheesh...)

I said it before. I am NO fan of Studio DC, but that was an important step for Disney and the Muppets. It was an experiment to see if the younger generation that loves that kind of thing and to give them that kind of demographic exposure.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be a huge media promotional blitz and they'll be on every talk show couch imaginable by the time the movie release week. But here, Disney's using their own resources to give them such exposure. I'm sure this show probably sucks and all, but it's not for me.

Balance IS the key. I would love to see them all over sitcoms... but sitcoms today have so much realism in them to the point where until recently they were afraid of getting celebs on The Office (a couple seasons ago they managed to sneak in Jack Black and Chloris Leachman as guests by having Andy watch a downloaded movie... now they somehow just put some big names in for last season's finale). I'd love to see them on Office and Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother, but I just can't see how they would fit there.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Studio DC aside, i've been disappointed over the years with how little Muppets have been seen on Disney Channel since Disney bought them in 2004 - so i actually do get excited at the prospect of seeing them all over DC as we get closer to the movie...but the flip side to that is there are shows i definately would not want to see them guest on!!

So Random is a good choice. Is it the greatest show on earth - not even in the running, but it is a variety/sketch comedy format and that's wonderfully appropriate for a Muppet to guest on and there's a lot of great possibilities here. Regardless of network or station, there aren't too many variety shows out there these days anyway for Muppets to guest on so more power to Piggy's SR episode.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Balance IS the key. I would love to see them all over sitcoms... but sitcoms today have so much realism in them to the point where until recently they were afraid of getting celebs on The Office (a couple seasons ago they managed to sneak in Jack Black and Chloris Leachman as guests by having Andy watch a downloaded movie... now they somehow just put some big names in for last season's finale). I'd love to see them on Office and Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother, but I just can't see how they would fit there.
There could be a way to pull things like "The Torkelsons" or "Scrubs", where they appear in fantasies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There could be a way to pull things like "The Torkelsons" or "Scrubs", where they appear in fantasies.
HIMYM would work perfectly... they do have the occasional fantasy sequence... the others happen in real time, so there's no way it could fit.

Unless, of course, the Office pulls off something similar to the Jack Black/Cloris Leachman movie that was in that episode and just have someone watch Muppet material online filmed as an exclusive.

I mean, they got Sesame Street on the show by having someone sync Kevin's voice to Cookie Monster clips.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Ok--I have to confess that I was wildly excited by something that happened today in the second-grade classroom where I was teaching. While the students had art class with the art teacher in the classroom, I dug my mug out of my lunch box and went in search of a cup of coffee. When I returned to the classroom, Kermit and Miss Piggy mug full of joe, about six of the little girls just squealed.

"Miss Piggy! Miss Piggy! Look, look! She has Miss Piggy on her mug!"
"She's so cool!"
"She was on Phineas and Ferb!"
"She knows karate!"
"I LOVE her!"
(Sadly, they did not mention Kermit.)

No--I am not exaggerating. I couldn't have scripted better comments. I asked if they knew Miss Piggy was going to be on So Random and they said, "Yes! Yes! This Sunday! And she's going to do KARATE!"

While I was thrilled with the comments, you're probably STILL not getting the full picture of WHY I was so excited. I've been carrying that same muppet mug in and out of the schools in my city's school system for over three years now and today was the first time that I had a group--a GROUP--of students that knew who Miss Piggy was--and WERE EXCITED ABOUT IT!

They knew who she was. They thought she was great! And they knew she knew karate! While they may not be able to get all her jokes or name all her movies, those are fans in the making--and it's about time.

From the comments that I often see at MC, I get the impression that the average fan here does not watch much children's programming, except perhaps Sesame Street, although many of the adults here watch adolescent programming--like Family Guy and South Park. The disdain that fairly drips from some of the comments when anything tweenish and Disneyish is mentioned is often off-putting. I DO watch a lot of children's programming and I enjoy it. The humor is not as smarmy as "adult" sitcoms and at least the kids can act (as well as sing and dance). Introducing kids at this age to characters that will still appeal to them in, oh, 30 years doesn't strike me as a bad idea. Disney seems to have gotten this one right.

Random, indeed.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
this is great its very refreshing to see that disney is promoting the muppets in this way hopefully there will be more to come like this way it gets more kids to know the muppets and get to like them so thumbs up disney for promoting the film so well

TSSD

Reaction score
It's on Disney Channel on Demand, which I have because of my sister, and I just watched it. Here are some quick notes I jotted down.

Opening- They're talking about how they all want to be in a sketch with the guest star.One of the minor cast members on the show comes in, asks who they're talking about. They say it's someone bigger than Lagy Gaga, smaller than Oprah, and pinker than Simon Cowell. It's revealed to be Miss Piggy, who says that she's bigger than Oprah, less pink than Simon Cowell, and will pick the sketch she wants to be in.

Main Plot- 90% of the show is taken up by a backstage plot where all the cast members go into Miss Piggy's dressing room and ask her to be in their sketch. Most she kicks out, one she Karate chops, and once she throws a tantrum, since the person asking at the time plays a character called Tantrum Girl. She also talks to Kermit on the phone once, poking fun at how So Random is now it's own show, which, unfortunately, is one of only two references to the other Muppets. Eventually one of the Cast Members calls her a Princess, and she likes that as a sketch idea.

Only Miss Piggy Sketch- The sketch is a spoof of the "Real Housewives" shows, called Real Princesses of New Jersey. Miss Piggy plays Rapunzel in the sketch, which is okay, but not that funny.

Closing- The cast thanks Piggy, who says it's an honor for them to work with her, and calls Kermit and tells him to bring the car around, and keep the engine running. She runs out, and the show ends.

All in all, it's okay, and kids will find it hilarious. It will do exactly what it was meant to do, which is raise kid's excitement for the Muppets.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Once again, a classroom full of students screamed with excitement about Miss Piggy. We were doing free-draw in art class and, to encourage creativity and boldness I attempted a picture of Kermit and Piggy. (Attempted being the operative word--my drawing skills are very rudimentary.) They didn't recognize Kermit (which probably says more about my drawing skill than his recognizeable-ness) but--again--the girls just honed in on Piggy like a beacon, praising her as wonderful and great! Methinks Disney might just have a new Disney princess on their hands....

(And BOY! Would I like to see someone who can draw attempt THAT picture!)

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
...that IS So Random.

While I love that the Muppets are gaining more exposure both in adult things (PWTFT Trailer) and with kids things (So Random), it really IS below them. Luckily, from the trailer it looks as though Piggy really treats them all like the low-end comedy actors that they are, while she has more acting ability in the glint of her eye than they do.

Nice and unusual to see PIGGY appear by herself in something and not Kermit though. I LOVE that!
I totally agree- I love the Muppets Fan-A-Thon promo video she did. Leave it to Miss Piggy to to do a promo so that she can get a bazillion likes, a lot of the solo work she is doing has been great! No matter how many fans she has, she always wants more! Way to go Piggy!

Status
Not open for further replies.