80's Robot

muppetperson

Reaction score
It is hard to find a spot for this thread as it is Muppet related.Can anybody ID this robot?

It is the exact robot that Disney have modelled the muppet 80's Robot on.The closest I can find
is a Tomy Omnibot 2000, but that head is more circular.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Just to stir up controversy, I read somewhere (*cough* TP *cough*) that 80s Robot isn't technically a Muppet. Why would that be? Is it because he's not foam constructed nor puppeted (we assume) directly?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the thing...

80's Robot is an 80's robot. Stereotypical in every way, a parody. Robotic Robots (unlike humanoid andorids or cyborgs) generally had that look to them in the 80's... from R.O.B. to Short Circuit, to that one from the horrible takes you out of the moment sequence from Rocky 4 (all I'm saying... that's something that should happen in a Saturday Morning Cartoon, not a movie that's realistic fiction). Even the Honey Comb Robot sorta liked a bit like that (but with the Robot from Lost in Space type arms).

In fact, even before the character's official name was revealed, I knew there was something 80's throwback parody reference about him and the film (80's cleaning stuff up montage in the trailer). Just another 80's Jason Segal bit.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Just to stir up controversy, I read somewhere (*cough* TP *cough*) that 80s Robot isn't technically a Muppet. Why would that be? Is it because he's not foam constructed nor puppeted (we assume) directly?
A Muppet takes in many forms.It doesnt have to be foam constructed or puppeteered.A Muppet can be anything from a worm,book,hand puppet,full costume,or even dancing pipe cleaners or feather bowers.What about Vedaface or other Muppet robots?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yeah, presumably M.A.M.M.A is a Muppet? It might be because 80's Robot was not created by Puppet Heap.

beaker

Reaction score
80's Robot is a Muppet in that he's one of the prominently featured new non human characters in the film. Many of the Jim Henson Hour characters(in the Muppet TV portion) aren't cute, cuddly and furry or foamy but they're still Muppets.

And wait a second...that looks like the exact same robot. I smell lawsuit?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Yeah, presumably M.A.M.M.A is a Muppet? It might be because 80's Robot was not created by Puppet Heap.
Wasnt he? Anyway, I wish someone could tell me the name/brand of the original robot in the picture.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wait, the robot in the picture isn't 80s Robot!??? I'm confused...

muppetperson

Reaction score
Wait, the robot in the picture isn't 80s Robot!??? I'm confused...
No.The robot in the picture is a mass produced robot from the 1980's that I am trying to identify so I can buy one as it is pretty much what 80s Robot is modelled on, right down to the decals.

dwmckim

Reaction score
If something is Muppeteered, i think it's safe to call it a Muppet. Welcome to the family, 80's Robot! (Do you play music? If so you're my new best friend...queues up "Cruel Summer"...)