Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I want a GB3 only if it's about the four from the first film (or without Murray, if he's not interested); I'm not at all interested in a film about a new team being taught by the first film's team.
It doesn't matter if it's about George Jetson. A movie based on the Filmation cartoon Ghost Busters seems more likely at this point. I don't mind at all if it's a new class (after all, they did that in animated form in the 90's and I feel it worked well...even kept canon of the old series), but Murray's somehow being a stubborn fool about the whole thing and it's never going to happen.

I'd want one, sure, but I don't see the point in a GB3... everyone will hype the thing up on the internet and then find it to be a disappointment anyway, even if the script is solid and the acting's top notch. I can't say Indiana Jones 4 was the greatest film, but it definately didn't deserve half the crap it got... EVEN from it's own actors.

There is however some sorta good Ghostbusters news...

They have plush toy Slimer and Gozer (Stay Puft) in crane machines. Too bad they're completely unwinnable, and often burried under sort of Scooby-Dooish looking dog toys.

robodog

Reaction score
It seems there's always talk on the internet of sequels to popular 80s movies. for example Gremlins 3, Ghostbusters 3 or Goonies 2, but nothing ever seems to come of it. I'd love to see a Ghostbusters 3 but I won't believe it's actually coming until I see a trailer.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
It seems there's always talk on the internet of sequels to popular 80s movies. for example Gremlins 3, Ghostbusters 3 or Goonies 2, but nothing ever seems to come of it.
Where has there been talk of Gremlins 3? I haven't heard about that one.

robodog

Reaction score
I've seen talk of Gremlins 3 on several different websites and forums. All there were were rumors with no substantial evidence that such a film was actually being planned. The last I heard of it was several years ago. I can't remember where. Gremlins 3 is one of those movies I'd like to see made but am very doubtful that it'll actually happen.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------------------
At least the guys did the Ghostbusters Wii game...which is fantastically silly, keeps the spirit of the original film alive. I'd love a GB3...if it was far far better than GB2...
----------------------

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems there's always talk on the internet of sequels to popular 80s movies. for example Gremlins 3, Ghostbusters 3 or Goonies 2, but nothing ever seems to come of it. I'd love to see a Ghostbusters 3 but I won't believe it's actually coming until I see a trailer.
There are always rumors, and most come out of considerations or overly optimistic reports by copyright holders. At one point, Mattel said they were planning a He-Man movie. Couldn't be ANY worse than the 1980's live action one no matter what they did.

GB3 isn't so much a rumor, but a project that can't get off the ground. The writers/producers/creators are trying to push this project, but just can't seem to get it done... mainly due to Bill Murray.

At one point, they planned an animated DTV movie with the original voice cast... why it never happened is beyond me (I guess they rather wanted a live action film more) and it turned into the video game.

As I've been saying for a while now... WHY the heck can't they just make an animated movie with the animated series cast? Non-canonical to the movies if it has to be... but I'd almost rather see that now.

Now, I wanna add a couple things to this subject.

A) David Crane.... GAH! Could he have MADE the Nintendo Ghostbusters game suck any more than it did? Why is there so much love, man? He made Pitfall, then a bunch of crappy games like Boy and his Blob. Ever try to play that? UGH!

B) Why the hate for Extreme Ghostbusters? I hate the fact they used an overused, pointless buzzword in the series, sure... but it's refreshing to see a new cartoon continue the old one and take it into canon instead of starting all over.

Yorick

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it's about George Jetson.
I would love one about George Jetson :smile: Much more so than the cliche and bland "pass the torch" idea.
There are always rumors, and most come out of considerations or overly optimistic reports by copyright holders. At one point, Mattel said they were planning a He-Man movie. Couldn't be ANY worse than the 1980's live action one no matter what they did.
I'm sure most would agree with you, but to me, a lover of most things 80's, I know I would really dislike an overly commercial 2010's version of He-Man. At least in the 80's, most things, at their worst, still all had a quirky charm - even the most commercial things - which made them enjoyable and fun. And of course, at best, well, we're talking about some fantastic, creative, magical feeling things being made. But much of TV, radio, and film today is just excruciatingly obnoxious with the hip phrases of all these relatively recent years, among many other things. I know many are happy to go with the flow, but I can't help feeling I've seen the better days of entertainment. And I'm not just being contrary, honest. If I could change my mind and love what was being churned out, I would. It's not easy being unsatisfied with most of what's being made today. (I know, start the violins, ha :big_grin:)
but Murray's somehow being a stubborn fool about the whole thing and it's never going to happen.
If this theatrical re-release of the original sells well, I don't think Bill can stop it - even if he's not in it, because I heard the "movie folk" will take that as a sign that GB3 will be a hit (even though a lot of love for a classic film doesn't mean people will see a sequel or remake of that film).
A) David Crane.... GAH! Could he have MADE the Nintendo Ghostbusters game suck any more than it did? Why is there so much love, man? He made Pitfall, then a bunch of crappy games like Boy and his Blob. Ever try to play that? UGH!
The Nintendo version wasn't the best, but there are other versions of the same game he made, and some of them are actually good, and one of them looks great in the youtube video I saw, but I forget which one. As for "A Boy and his Blob" - it's pretty cool when you have a few tips. Now we have a youtube video that can help us...it's too bad the instructions didn't give those tips, though. (There was a new version of the game recently you may like!)
A movie based on the Filmation cartoon Ghost Busters seems more likely at this point. I don't mind at all if it's a new class (after all, they did that in animated form in the 90's and I feel it worked well...even kept canon of the old series), but Murray's somehow being a stubborn fool about the whole thing and it's never going to happen.
I know you used Filmation to make a point, but I think you know perfectly well that it's actually much more possible that there's a Columbia's Ghostbusters 3 :smile: And I think it's more possible than many think. Especially if they make the version I don't want - because if you put in "fresh new faces" that will sell tickets, even though it's such a predictable (and not cool) idea.
I don't mind at all if it's a new class
One more film about Egon, Ray, Winston and Peter is a fun idea, that I wish they would do instead.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would love one about George Jetson :smile: Much more so than the cliche and bland "pass the torch" idea.
I'm sure most would agree with you, but to me, a lover of most things 80's, I know I would really dislike an overly commercial 2010's version of He-Man. At least in the 80's, most things, at their worst, still all had a quirky charm - even the most commercial things - which made them enjoyable and fun. And of course, at best, well, we're talking about some fantastic, creative, magical feeling things being made.
The problem I have with the 80's He-Man movie (not Secret of the Sword... I actually know someone that has it, I just didn't get around to borrowing it and watching it yet) is the same one I have with the Smurfs movie (which, for whatever reason I didn't hate... maybe Hank?) only in reverse. The Smurf Movie took them into the real world because they figured kids would rather some loud big budget fall into toilet movie... the He-Man movie came out of the opposite, the fact they HAD no budget. Now, if they were to make a serious action He-Man film set entirely in Eternia and Man at Arms, Orko, Evilynn, Beastman and all those other characters were involved they'd have my attention. I could see something along the tone of the 2003 series working for a theatrical film. If they did a "look at how campy it was" joke fest or worse... got Michael Bay involved at any point... definitely not.

But Mattel has been trying to get interest in the movie for years. And something tells me the fact the Conan movie that bombed would hold the thing back.

Seriously, did ANYONE see that movie trailer more than a week before it came out? I didn't even know there was a Conan movie until I saw Captain America. Maybe if they didn't dump the thing in August and promoted the movie better it wouldn't have tanked. I think they just put it on a theatrical release as a contractual obligation.

If this theatrical re-release of the original sells well, I don't think Bill can stop it - even if he's not in it, because I heard the "movie folk" will take that as a sign that GB3 will be a hit (even though a lot of love for a classic film doesn't mean people will see a sequel or remake of that film).
I love Bill Murray. I can't stress that enough. He was a delightful surprise in Space Jam that made the movie better than it would have been (and all in a brief cameo), he made the live action portion of Osmosis Jones (Half one of my favorite movies... guess which half) fun (Chris Elliot helped out too)... and if I ever wind up seeing the Garfield films on TV, I can at least take solace in the fact he's in there.

But the fact he's in this artistic period where he tries to rationalize the fact he was IN those bad Garfield movies (He HONESTLY thinks we'd believe him if he says he thought the wrong Cohen brothers wrote the screen play. yeah... the guys who came up with "Oh Brother, Where art Thou" said, HEY! Let's do a Garfield movie instead of something more artistic that only adults can enjoy), all the while trying to get out of GB 3 is disappointing. This was one of you're most remembered roles, right up there with Meatballs and Lost in Translation (talk about a career spanning decades AND genres of comedy). And he had some great moments in both films, especially the second, when he was trying to seduce Segorny Weaver (those were some almost artistic comedy quality love scenes).

I know you used Filmation to make a point, but I think you know perfectly well that it's actually much more possible that there's a Columbia's Ghostbusters 3 :smile: And I think it's more possible than many think. Especially if they make the version I don't want - because if you put in "fresh new faces" that will sell tickets, even though it's such a predictable (and not cool) idea.
Well, that's cuz they're the only other Ghost Busters around! Why can't anyone but them and the producers of the movie know that they both made an homage to an Earlier film us 80's kids aren't prithee to?

A next generation one makes sense ONLY because these guys are pretty much up there in age. Ernie Hudson seems like he can still give an energetic performance (saw an episode of Psych on Ion a few weeks ago where he was the partner's father), but these guys are well into their 60's! Egon's like 66 as of this post. I could see a one last big battle type of movie... a getting the gang back together after all these years type film... but something similar to Extreme Ghostbusters with younger kids going out, fighting, and having the older guys be there and teach them on sounds like the most viable.

Unless they went ahead with the CGI animated movie. The characters can be as young as they want there, like the comic books.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know he had a cameo in Zombieland and someone asks him what his biggest regret was and he says Garfield. I dunno if thats him being honest or something the writers put in and he went along with it, but still

Drtooth

Reaction score
He actually DID say that in an interview a while back. As I said, his decision to make the movie was because he thought the Joel Cohen that wrote the screenplay was one of the Cohen Brothers that did those very good, artistic films. Which is like saying some guy named Martin Scorsessy (spelled wrong on purpose for this example) who decided to make a... I dunno... let's say Funky Witherbean movie is the same one that did Goodfellas.

Yeah... I buy that.