Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 42

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a repeat from Season 40. And it's exactly what I didn't want; a repeat with nothing changed, except for a new number slapped on. Last year we had repeats, but they changed everything else in the show. I was hoping they'd do the same with these, but apparently not.
Whoa! Why did they even bother changing the number if they're showing the same thing sketch for sketch? That's not even close to trying to make a new episode. That's lazy and deceitful.

SW is SERIOUSLY understaffed if they have to pull that kind of stunt. Really... why even bother changing the number? That's pointless.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Today's episode involves Elmo and Telly as "The Cowboy Pair" (this sounds like a past episode I haven't seen, probably a repeat but I'm not sure.

I've walked in and out of the room at times, so I may have missed some segments (I don't remember seeing any segments for today's letter, E), but here's a (probably incomplete) list of today's segments:
  • Word on the Street: Pair
  • The Cowboy Pair
  • Word of the Day Explanation: Pair
  • Abby's Flying Fairy School: Blogg turns into a puppet
  • Ding-Along Song
  • Salty and Pierre: 2
  • Murray Has a Little Lamb: Irish Tap Dancing School
  • Mad Men
  • Claymation: A caveman helps the other get warm
  • Elmo's World: Farms
Aside from the word of the day segments and Elmo's World (and I guess the number of the day being 2, which is what pairs come in), it looks like the segments weren't themed by the topic of the street scene. There was a lot of variety in today's episode. Though I guess there aren't too many segments about pairs, especially not in any of the "daily segments".

I think the street story would make a great headliner for a DVD release: "The Cowboy Pair and Other Western Tales". It could be followed by several classic Sesame Street western sketches. Maybe even have a round of "The Best of Forgetful Jones" as the entire second half hour (or as a bonus).
It is, but it's a cute episode!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
It's a repeat from Season 40. And it's exactly what I didn't want; a repeat with nothing changed, except for a new number slapped on. Last year we had repeats, but they changed everything else in the show. I was hoping they'd do the same with these, but apparently not.
I actually like they're doing it this way. It's gives me a chance to see the exact same episode with no segments changed. I didn't record this one, though. Because I have the street story on DVD.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I actually like they're doing it this way. It's gives me a chance to see the exact same episode with no segments changed. I didn't record this one, though. Because I have the street story on DVD.
Yes I agree.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's ironic that starting last season they began doing 44-episode seasons and perhaps as a result went back to repeating street stories from past seasons. It seems like they're only repeating street stories shot in HD, yet there aren't really that many HD episodes yet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's all well and good, but putting a new production number on it makes NO sense whatsoever. It's like they went the extra inch to relabel these episodes to say they're new, when they could have just run the same ones anyway. It makes no sense, it's a waste of a small amount of time, but a waste of time period. They have to pay someone to put that episode number graphic after all.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
...when they COULD'VE paid someone to actually make changes to the episode to make it worthy of a reairing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...when they COULD'VE paid someone to actually make changes to the episode to make it worthy of a reairing.
Probably would have had to pay them more... :crazy:

This is just too strange for words. It's like they didn't want to make the effort to change anything... I can respect that, but the fact they took the time to relabel the epsidoes when they didn't need to... that's the confusing part. I'm sure it has something to do with PBS's end, like they didn't want to pay for more "new" episodes or something... but then it all comes back to why not just air the reruns as is?

Confusing and circular.