Continuity within the Muppet-verse??

starchild

Reaction score
So is there an actual continuity the muppets follow? I was wondering this because of the back story behind "The Muppet Movie" and how they all met but then in the saturday morning cartoon "The Muppet Babies" they're all living in the same nursery together as well..babies? And yeah you can just give me the "well that was just a cartoon" answer but here is the kicker on "A Muppet Family Christmas" they start to watch old family movies together and it's them all as "The Muppet Babies" but in a live action muppet form.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Muppets and Continuity, yeah they stopped speaking a long time ago, lol.

starchild

Reaction score
Yeah I figured that lol, been a fan for years and just went with what they threw at us but recently that was something I just started wondering about. Was hoping someone around here might have caught something I missed over the years!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The way I always looked at it, the Muppets were similar to the comedians of the past who always played the same characters, but in completely different situations each time (Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, etc.).

RedPiggy

Reaction score
When doing my fic-verse, I went to a LOT of trouble trying to iron out the wrinkles in "continuity", from Muppets being evolved from the talking creatures in Dinosaurs until now. I think I settled on the Muppets were cared for at some point by Nanny, but later forgot about it. Also, the cartoon, with its focus on imagination, seems to be something like an interpretation (after all, the dating would be ALL wrong, since Baby Rowlf liked punk rock and that didn't exist at the implied timeline ... the cartoon is heavily 80s but can't possibly be). Notice that in MFC, it's stripped down a bit more. You only see a single corner of a dimly lit room. There's nothing aside from the fact it's on film to date it. I tried looking at 8mm on Wiki, but it doesn't address (unless I missed it) the fact you can hear them singing, which is weird to me because all of my grandfather's vids were silent. This is assuming, of course, that the Muppetverse is close to reality technology-wise. I get the impression it's implying they were babies in the 50s, but that seems odd considering Kermit isn't a kid at that time, right? I'm thinking of Sam&Friends, as I've never seen Kermit's Swamp Years. So, as there might be no official "canon", I suspect there are enough common elements (such as Piggy's poor rural background or Kermit's, well, "swamp years") to suggest a possible canon backstory.

edit: And trying to fit Fraggle Rock and other properties is a major league headache, LOL. Fraggles don't keep accurate dating records (all we have to go on, it seems, are throw-away lines by Gorgs) and the fact that the Rock's tunnel systems are magically somewhat independent of time and space make pinning down its history dang near impossible. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppets and Continuity, yeah they stopped speaking a long time ago, lol.
They never spoke... And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Is there any continuity in any Looney Tunes shorts? No. None of them ever were supposed to link up. Bullwinkle could barely keep continuity with in a story arc (The banana formula kept changing for example).

Fraggle Rock must have had some sort of continuity, sure... Sesame Street to an extent... but the Muppets? Never.

Until, of course, VMX when they referenced Doc Hopper's. And the upcoming film is said to have throw back references to other films. Other than that, there's never been continuity or canon between projects. Muppet Babies stands alone. Other than being Piggy's fantasy in MTM and the weird baby home movie in MFC, they pretty much ignored that except for merchandising sake.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
So is there an actual continuity the muppets follow? I was wondering this because of the back story behind "The Muppet Movie" and how they all met but then in the saturday morning cartoon "The Muppet Babies" they're all living in the same nursery together as well..babies? And yeah you can just give me the "well that was just a cartoon" answer but here is the kicker on "A Muppet Family Christmas" they start to watch old family movies together and it's them all as "The Muppet Babies" but in a live action muppet form.
Yes I personally believe the Mupet Movie most. Even Great Muppet Caper doesn't have continuity with the origianal, because Kermit Fozzie and Gonzo don't know Piggy, Scooter, and the Electric Mayhem.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, that and it's stated upfront that they're in a movie, so they're all playing characters.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
it just al over the place even in all the movies there is no true continuity
i said this in another thread but remember even as far back as The Muppet Movie...Kermit did imply they were acting in a film when robin asked if this was how the muppets really came together

go to 3:22
http://youtu.be/2Ev1IHXYF0w