When will toys tieing in to The Muppets be released?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Btw, does anyone recall...was there a lot of merch for other Disney Nov tentpoles like Frog or Tangled?
Mostly Disney store stuff, but the point of those movies was to make new princesses to add to the Disney Princess merchandising Juggernaut. I saw that Tiana and Rapunzel were added to the Pez set, among other things. They're staples with Jasmine and Snow White now. So it doesn't so much matter about the initial merchandise with those films, as they can continue to make Barbie style fashion dolls of those characters. Their intent anyway. But there definitely was a decent amount of Disney Store stuff.

The thing about the Muppets is, it isn't just a movie. They've been around for decades, so on the one hand, it's a crafty move to wait until the movie starts to fill stores up with Muppet stuff, but on the other hand, some Muppet stuff should be sold anyway.

But then of course, it took that lame Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show to even get Donald Duck back in there, so...

Bellygrub

Reaction score
Btw, does anyone recall...was there a lot of merch for other Disney Nov tentpoles like Frog or Tangled?
There wasn't much merch at all for either of those films. We went mad trying to find Rapunzel toys for my niece at the time of the Tangled release. They just didn't exist.

Now that the film has done well on DVD the Disney stores are getting more and more Tangled merch in (including a really cool tower play set...*ahem*...my niece likes it. It's girls stuff *shifty eyes*)

Princess and the Frog still has pretty limited stuff. Especially when compared to Tangled now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, the movies' success wasn't so much the point as it was adding new Princesses into the line up. More fashion dolls, more girl's costumes, more girl's stuff.

Still, I never saw Princess and the Frog, but I wish I got that bean bag of the alligator. That was a great character design.

Plus, we all know Disney animated movies get their best money when they hit home video.

robodog

Reaction score
Princess and the Frog is one of those movies I didn't think I'd like. Then I caught it on TV and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I don't remember seeing a lot of merchandise though. The only thing I remember seeing is plush of the two frog characters at Wal mart. I hope we see more muppet stuff than that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Princess and the Frog is one of those movies I didn't think I'd like. Then I caught it on TV and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I don't remember seeing a lot of merchandise though. The only thing I remember seeing is plush of the two frog characters at Wal mart. I hope we see more muppet stuff than that.

I shall eternally curse myself for seeing the Chipmunks sequel instead of that. I was SUPPOSED to see it with someone, but they wanted to see Twitlight on that day, so I was supposed to reschedule and see it later, and never did. I lost an opportunity that day. Thankfully, I jumped at the chance to see the 2-D Traditional style Pooh movie.

Rapunzel, I didn't think I'd like... and I missed the chance to see that by a few minutes and saw something I regret even more instead.

robodog

Reaction score
I kind of enjoyed the Chipmunks movies. However there's no way the sequel deserved to make more money than The Princess And The Frog. The Chipmunks movies are the kind of movies you watch once and sort of enjoy but you could care less if you ever see them again. I suspect the Smurfs movie will be kind of like this as well.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If you buy the new stickerbook, place the stickers on a magnetic sheet so that you can create your own Muppet Show on the fridge!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I kind of enjoyed the Chipmunks movies. However there's no way the sequel deserved to make more money than The Princess And The Frog. The Chipmunks movies are the kind of movies you watch once and sort of enjoy but you could care less if you ever see them again. I suspect the Smurfs movie will be kind of like this as well.
The second Chipmunks movie, while it had its moments and I enjoyed the plot line about them going to school and the bit with the Chipettes, the film was sloppy. jason Lee refused to play Dave in it, so they wrote him off early, and replaced him with a loser nephew... the editing was terrible. it could have been such a better movie than it was. But once again, David Cross carried the film for me. I refuse to see the third one, though.

And for the heck of it, Smurfs... and this is coming from someone who was very vocal against the movie... it isn't quite as terrible as I thought it was. All the worst scenes in the movie were in the trailer, so there you go with that. I had a lot of problems with it, even then... but I actually enjoyed it to an extent. But MAINLY due to Hank Azaria's bombastic Gargamel... some of the celebrity voicing of the Smurfs made them come off generic, but I think Johnathan Winters and Fred Armisand did pretty good jobs there. Plus, they stop by the FAO Schwartz Muppet Workshop in the movie... so take that as free advertising for their movie.

EDIT: OH YEAH.. the topic.

You know... funny thing. I'm not exactly seeing Puss in Boots merchandise either, and the movie's due next weekend. Other than a McD's kid's meal, I don't think there is anything. And that's the other big Pre-Thanksgiving movie.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
If you buy the new stickerbook, place the stickers on a magnetic sheet so that you can create your own Muppet Show on the fridge!!
thanks for that little tip jamie, my gf and I bought the kids there own copy of that book for christmas (as i ought myself one too! :wink: )

robodog

Reaction score
About the Puss In Boots thing... It's basically a Shrek spinoff and I didn't see a lot of merchandise for the last Shrek movie. Certainly not to the level of being plastered everywhere that the previous 3 movies had. They may be easing off on the merchandise for PiB as well. Then again I don't see a lot of merchandise for a lot of Dreamworks movies other than Shrek. The only one I can think of that had a lot of merchandise is How To Train Your Dragon, and that didn't seem to sell all that well. One of the many Wal Marts I have access to still has som HTTYD stuff on clearance.