Underrated Movies

Yorick

Reaction score
Rover Dangerfield is also a well animated little gem that is often overlooked. I'm not sure what audience it was shooting for, but I enjoyed it.
I know I'm late replying, but I wholeheartedly agree!

Pork

Reaction score
The Prince of Egypt, we had to watch this one in 9th grade global studies class. This movie simply proves what a spectacular start DreamWorks was off to. Distinct from Disney's formulas in some ways and some ways not, I find The Prince of Egypt a great film, one of DreamWorks' top 10 in my opinion. Besides, how can you go wrong with a song sung by Steve Martin and Martin Short where they're all "You're playing with the big boys now!" (come to think of it, what happened to those two guys after Rameses screamed at them during the plagues? Did they just like decide to eat pizza in their trailer for the rest of the movie? :stick_out_tongue:)
I agree, I think that The Prince of Egypt is quite good...considering I'm generally not a DreamWorks fan. The Music in it I did really enjoy. However, one thing that always bugs me is the style of their faces... Their eyes are way too close to the top of their head... and that bothers me! But that may just be me. And... perhaps Rameses sent the Sorcerors to the same place the Baker went :stick_out_tongue:

Underated Movie... in my opinion... an please don't hate me.
The Pebble and the Penguin
I loved this movie when I was younger... and still do. But generally when I talk to anyone else they usually say it was appycray.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I can't believe this thread has been around all this time and I finally thought of a film to contribute. Just now I remembered that I liked Elizabethtown and yet critics seemed to hate it. For years I liked almost everything Kirsten Dunst did, though...

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
The Ice Pirates - Seriously, if you love comedy sci-fi movies, you must see this film.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Falling Down! Gosh darn it, this movie is awesome! It's hard to believe that Joel "Batman & Robin" Schumacher can actually make a good film but here it is. Perhaps it's just because this movie is so grounded in reality compared to his Batman movies but seeing Michael Douglas being this complete bad-*** slowly losing his mind is just so freaking awesome, as terrible as it is to say but this movie is just that good. Ultimately, this movie had a somewhat bad release date very early in 1993 and wasn't as big a hit as Warner Brothers made it out to be back then and it seems most people have forgotten about it, but check it out if you are in the mood for an awesome, wide-appealing yet still very complex character drama.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
The Country Bears - Not great, but still a lot of fun. I understand why a lot of people don't like it, I just wish more of 'em did.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Hook!-A great movie! If you've never seen it, you should. It's about Peter Pan played by Robin Williams leaving Neverland and growing up only to have to return to save his kids from Hook(Dustin Hoffman)
Speaking of Hoffman Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium's REALLY underrated
Last but not least the story of a robot that comes to life... no not Walle!
While entertaining Walle wasn't the first of that genre, the first I know of is 1986's Short Circuit and Short Circuit 2. Very funny movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wall*e was... well, no underrated, not overrated... it was in the middle where it was supposed to be. It did well at the box office, it spawned merchandise, people can remember it by name. It did too well to be considered underrated.

As far as Pixar films go, I'd say Ratatoullie was probably the most underrated of the bunch, only because it was pretty much an artistic film with a LOT of gourmand/food snob references that would fly over kids' heads. Plus, I know 2 people who refuse to see it because of their fear of rats, and something tells me they'd HATE the ending scenes where all the rats are running around the kitchen... the merchandise didn't do too well and you never really hear of it anymore. Also, Bug's Life seems to be in the shadow of their other films... it was successful when it came out, the merchandise did well... but it seems to get the cold shoulder for some reason.