Talk about nitpicky!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
ive grown to not really feel bad for people who complain about nostalgia being ruined, most of the time because that very nostalgia is made up of made up memories from whatever show or game people fondly love details here or there that didnt really happen but they swear to death happened.
That happens sometimes, but just as often fans do know what they're talking about. And changes made to characters very often aren't slight and they aren't true to the characters. Fans have seen this time and again and they aren't overreacting. They simply recognize when something's been tampered with.

now as for Kermits name change i dont mind it, what some people many not know is that Kermit has been know as La Rana Rene and Kermit, in Puerto Rico sometimes referred as both
Thanks for pointing that out. Just shows how complicated these things can be because everyone has their own experiences.

TSSD

Reaction score
DrTooth, look at it like this. What if they changed Kermit's name here to Rana René? You wouldn't complain at all?

Drtooth

Reaction score
DrTooth, look at it like this. What if they changed Kermit's name here to Rana René? You wouldn't complain at all?
I'd just be confused is all. I wouldn't get the change, but as long as the charactrer is the same, I have no beef. Of course, that change would be different because, as I stated, giving him a Spanish name in Spanish speaking countries gives them the illusion that they own and created the character. Now, I know Sesame Street does that purposely with international Sesame Street shows... but then of course it works on 3-5 year olds whom Sesame Street is intended. Name changes make little sense to me anyway, because if we're getting something dubbed, we ALL know where it came from. This isn't new over here. Speed Racer, Tobor the 8th Man (which had a new American animated opening sequence)... all of those shows had to hide their Japanese origin. 4Kids built their anime line up hiding the fact Japanese cartoons are from Japan. According to the voice actor who I once had a conversation with on another board, they want to keep things culturally ambiguous. Sometimes it really does work. I didn't know Funky Cops was a French show for the longest time and I was in college when that thing aired.

But the thing is, as Frogpuppetter said, they actually DO refer to him as both on occurrence from dub to dub. Some countries have better consistency of dub than others. Certain countries have had the same Kermit dubbing voice for everything from Sesame Street to movies... some vary from Sesame Street to Movie... some from movie to movie.

My beef is, as I said, the same beef I have with immature anime fans that have been spoiled by being able to see uncut versions. I gotta stop acting like I did actually see Voltron and Robotech, sure... but I know people who did, and they didn't whine about the changes. They knew not of the original version. But the thing works BOTH ways. Sailor moon fans... really... I went to a panel for that and all these 20 somethings were BOO-ing DIC and Boo-ing the name changes when they gave them that exposure in the first place. Had it not been for DIC's perfect for the prudish American television market dub, half of them wouldn't even be into anime in the first place, let alone have heard of Sailor Moon. I like the true names as they capture the true artists vision as the next guy, but if they have to give them American sounding names to make them relate to 5 year olds that shouldn't be watching anyway, that happens. They do WORSE things in these dubs, and I've seen all of them. New anime fans would have been through the deepest pit in Hades if they had to put up with Harmony Gold. Goku would have been named Zero, if they had their way.

The bottom line is, some countries change names, some don't. As I showed you, Kermit's Kermit in every country but 4, and those were because of Sesame Street localizations. If Disney decided Mickey should be uniformly Mickey when every country that didn't call him Mickey before knows his name is Mickey anyway, that's their decision. The point is people are complaining about changes to changes...

"I'm in DESPAIR!! The international claiming and renaming of an intellectual property left me in despair!!!"

(My sister's the only reason I'd make that joke"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'd just be confused is all. I wouldn't get the change, but as long as the charactrer is the same, I have no beef.
And if people started constantly correcting you if you ever said "Kermit" again? That wouldn't bother you? I am a bit skeptical. :wink: (Not in a mean way, just saying. :smile: )

Drtooth

Reaction score
And if people started constantly correcting you if you ever said "Kermit" again? That wouldn't bother you? I am a bit skeptical. :wink: (Not in a mean way, just saying. :smile: )
I'd call him whatever I'd like and if someone corrected me, I wouldn't be bothered... in the same fashion that if I draw King Koopa from the cartoon show and someone calls him Bowser, I don't correct them. Sometimes I tend to use both a localized and international name. But I never call Donald Duck Paperino (Italian name), even though I refer to his Italian alter Ego avenger as BOTh Paperinik and Duck Avenger, depending on who I'm talking to...

Of course, the matter isn't someone hypothetically changing his true name to a localized version, but a localized version having to give a character the true name for brand uniformity.

And something tells me that was planned all along with this movie...

Not one of the Posters gives them an international name, especially Spain which has been calling them Los Telenucos (or something to that extent) for years. All it equals is brand uniformity when it comes to merchandise and dubbing issues. I understand everyone's childhood or nostalgia is so important to the individual, but there are WORSE travesties when it comes to that sort of thing. When they change the character completely to fit some lame kiddy movie stereotype, and go over the heads of the creators to do it. We know the dog I'm referring to. I was also NOT fond of New George of the Jungle, and not only did that keep the character names, it even fixed and old problem with the theme song being written before the show was okayed by the network and added a Fella character in... when they changed EVERYTHING about the show other than the Jungle setting.

I will say this, I was confused by the fact Greedy Smurf was NEVER the baker or chef, and was actually an amalgam of those 3 characters for the cartoon show. But only at first, much to the matter of my first exposure to Scrooge McDuck was Ducktales and not realizing the Beagle Boys didn't have individual personalities like in Ducktales. Then I just categorized them as comic/cartoon differences in both aspects.