Underrated Movies

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Wall*e was... well, no underrated, not overrated... it was in the middle where it was supposed to be. It did well at the box office, it spawned merchandise, people can remember it by name. It did too well to be considered underrated.

As far as Pixar films go, I'd say Ratatoullie was probably the most underrated of the bunch, only because it was pretty much an artistic film with a LOT of gourmand/food snob references that would fly over kids' heads. Plus, I know 2 people who refuse to see it because of their fear of rats, and something tells me they'd HATE the ending scenes where all the rats are running around the kitchen... the merchandise didn't do too well and you never really hear of it anymore. Also, Bug's Life seems to be in the shadow of their other films... it was successful when it came out, the merchandise did well... but it seems to get the cold shoulder for some reason.
No Dr. Tooth, I was not saying Walle is underrated I'm saying Short Circuit is very underrated sorry! I was just metioning Wall-e almost as a joke how everybody thinks of Wall-e when they see a robot that looks like him or Johnny 5. Bug's life and Ratatouille are underrated though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know if I'd call Short Circuit underrated as much as I'd call it cult. I can't remember how well it did in theaters... it had a sequel, but so didn't stuff like Critters. I do know there was footage of the movie used in Muppet Babies... and I know the 80's TMNT cartoon did a ripoff of the character at some point...

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Oh, I know it has a sequel, but they're both hardly remembered anymore like Hunchback of Notre Dame has a DTV sequel, but the movie itself is really underrated. The other two movies on my list though have recieved poor reviews and are forgotten by now, though.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I believe that the Star Wars prequels have some enormously redeemable qualities. I still enjoy watching them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
When George did the Star Wars prequels, he should have taken a cue from what he did with Empire Strikes Back... also known as (and this is an exact quote from I forget where) "The Best movie George Lucas never made." He needed another director. The direction is off and that's part of the reason why the movies seemed off. It's not the acting that's wooden, it's the directing.

But I really think he pulled the film franchise off on the third movie. The second one was slightly close...the first one didn't need that pod race to last that long... it SHOULD have had MORE of Darth Maul.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
But I really think he pulled the film franchise off on the third movie. The second one was slightly close...the first one didn't need that pod race to last that long... it SHOULD have had MORE of Darth Maul.
I think both of you will enjoy this. There's a series of articles a guy named Drew McWeeny writes called "Film Nerd 2.0" where he and his 6-and-3-year-old boys watch movies from his youth. He waited a while to get them on Star Wars and now they're five movies in, with just Jedi left. These articles are really special, regardless of how you feel about the prequels. He's also having them watch the movies in a really neat order, which makes sense when you read them. Here's the link to all five so far.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The Country Bears - Not great, but still a lot of fun. I understand why a lot of people don't like it, I just wish more of 'em did.
I agree, I personally loved this movie... in fact, this is definitely on my list of top 10 movies that I love that everybody else hates (yeah, I did a list like that long before Doug Walker did actually, lol).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know, I would also say Rob Zombie's Halloween. I know it gets a lot of hatred from fans of the original, but honestly, I just think everything about it is better. I couldn't stand the original. I ended up turning it off halfway through :/

And I LIKE slasher movies. I generally enjoy watching even those terrible, made for tv, indie slasher movies. I even have a bunch of them on DVD...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, to the best of my memory, here's my top 10 movies I like that everybody else hates (in alphabetical order):

1. The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
2. Bee Movie
3. The Cat in the Hat
4. The Country Bears
5. Elf
6. Home Alone 3
7. Kangaroo Jack
8. Kermit's Swamp Years (I guess Muppets from Space would have to have an honorable mention)
9. The Master of Disguise
10. Super Mario Bros.