What if the new movie's DVD contained a bonus disc of existing material?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While I really want the bonus features on the DVD release of The Muppets to be directly related to the new movie, suddenly I can't help but wonder if it'd be a good idea for the DVD to contain a bonus disc showcasing existing material. Maybe call it "The Best of the Muppets" or something like that.

A lot has gone through my mind on what would be good to include. Part of me things it'd be good to include an episode of The Muppet Show (preferably from one of the last two seasons, to tide us over until they finally come out), an episode of MuppeTelevision, and an episode of Muppets Tonight. But then again with the movie focusing on the classic characters, including those last two might seem out of place.

Another thought I had was to include five episodes of The Muppet Show, one from each season. It'd help tide us over until the last two seasons come out (assuming the episodes weren't already released by Time-Life), but it'd also be double-dipping from the season sets. Or maybe include one or two of the compilations (part of me thinks the ones with no theme, and yet Im also thinking The Kermit and Miss Piggy Story and Fozzie's Muppet Scrapbook would be better choices, to spotlight the three main characters). Or a special selection of the best-known moments from The Muppet Show, inclding Mahna Mahna, Happy Feet, Muppet Labs, Pigs in Space, Wayne and Wanda, Veterinarians Hospital, Gonzo catching a cannonball, Hugga Wugga, one of The Electric Mayhem's numbers, Danny Boy, and other great acts. Or the documentary I Love the Muppets.

And yet my mind is also thinking a bonus disc like that should include stuff not likely to get a DVD release otherwise anytime soon, like some of the Muppet Meeting Films (though with the exception of the first one, they'd seem out of place), one of the Muppet Sing-Along videos, one of the Play-Along videos, the InteractiVision releases (would it be feasible as a Blu-Ray exclusive feature?), Muppet appearances on Good Morning America and other shows owned by Disney, all of the music videos starring the Muppets, the viral videos, any commercials Disney can obtain the rights to (somehow I have a feeling that if any commercials are included they'd be the ones that promote the movie). Though I don't know how I'd feel about a DVD release of The Muppets including the made-for-video stuff intended for younger audiences.

Of course, The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson and The Muppets at Walt Disney World would make good features as well.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
while i hate to be a Negative Nancy, i warn people not to get their hopes up, not because these wont show up, but Special Features of Movies rarely focus on the past of franchises unless its in a behind the scenes feature on the DVD itself...and as a passing mention...now can this movie be a catalyst to bring all those past specials, features and TV Movies to DVD yes, but as special features unless it has a direct connection to the new movie i dont see it

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I just want Muppet Show season 4 when the movie comes out!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
while i hate to be a Negative Nancy, i warn people not to get their hopes up, not because these wont show up, but Special Features of Movies rarely focus on the past of franchises unless its in a behind the scenes feature on the DVD itself...and as a passing mention...now can this movie be a catalyst to bring all those past specials features and specials to DVD yes, but as specials features unless it has a direct connection to the new movie i dont see it
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't, but it doesn't hurt to fantasize.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
chances are we could get something new maybe just for the release of the DVD...most times DVDs shocase some exclusive content...even though ive also noticed in alot of recent movie release special features are now only on the Blu Ray disks

dwayne1115

Reaction score
yes espscaly if you rent the movies from red box! We already know that they have recorded some of the table reads for the movie. Beacuse they brought the Muppets there themselfs for the Muppeters to preforim durring the table read. so that would be a good bonus. I also think there will be a good Gag reel and hopfully a comantray or two.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Muppet Commentary could be amazing if they got the right minds behind it..i was so disappointed in the MFS commentary and it couldve been wonderful with the Mystery science theater approach...yet you could tell they director didnt even want to be there for it

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Honeslty for some reason I'll be surprised if the DVD of the movie is even a two-disc set (not counting the Blu-Ray release which would probably include the regular DVD as a bonus).

Regardless of whether any of the Muppets past work gets included, my main hope for the DVD is for it to include deleted scenes, outtakes, all the main trailers (including teaser/parody trailers), audio commentary (I prefer commentary by real people; including ficitonal characters sort of limits the amount of real info that could be included), and maybe the commercials for Wonderful Pistachios, UL Laboratories, and that car commercial. Maybe also the "Muppet Fan-Athon" viral videos. I already know that the read-through will probably be on there. It'd be funny if it had a big featurette on the fart shoes.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Maybe they could do a little feature on the Muppets popularity or rise to fame with bits of existing material, but stuff like past TV specials, I don't see it. Truthfully, I won't get my hopes up for much in terms of bonus features for the DVD. Have you bought Disney DVDs lately? They don't even brother putting art work art on the disc, anymore? Blu-Rays is getting all the bonus features now.

But hey, the movie not even out yet, let's just look forward to that for now.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i think thats just the stardard now, i have a bunch of movies with no disk art no matter who sells the dvd if its a major movie release...

doesnt matter soon everything will be digital copies