Something I don't get about the Muppet Theater

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I just watched its a very merry muppet movie and at the end pepe comes in when there about to lose there theater and says he got it saved as a land mark but in The Muppets tex richman wants to destroy it? i dont get it

dwmckim

Reaction score
That's because (a) it's been acknowledged (via some of the negative publicity concerning Muppet veterans) that Jason's script has moments that take the Muppets out of pre-established context and (b) "The Muppets" - like a lot of the other Muppet movies - needs to be taken as a "movie that the Muppets made about themselves that may not have been based on their offscreen events".

After all, we all know the Muppets REALLY haven't been apart and not speaking with each other for years - just look at all the projects they've done in the last couple of years - so this movie also needs to be taken as a "piece of fiction". Each Muppet movie is not a continual sequel of each other. The Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper, and Muppets Take Manhatten ALL present different depictions of the Muppets meeting each other "for the first time".

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Because, the muppets movies don't usually have canon. They have said in interviews that the movies are fictional and they are acting in them. So, these two movies really aren't related storyline-wise.

Drtooth

Reaction score
After all, we all know the Muppets REALLY haven't been apart and not speaking with each other for years - just look at all the projects they've done in the last couple of years - so this movie also needs to be taken as a "piece of fiction". Each Muppet movie is not a continual sequel of each other. The Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper, and Muppets Take Manhatten ALL present different depictions of the Muppets meeting each other "for the first time".
The thing that's strange to me is that they are indeed referencing the other films. After all, Charles Grodin was supposed to reprise his role as Nick Holiday but decline due to a prior engagement.

But there never is an established canon, and there has never been a sequel. Though, VMX DID say that if Kermit wasn't born, Doc Hopper's would have flourished. Other than that, the movies are treated as movies, the TV shows are treated as TV shows... nothing syncs up, nor does it matter if it did.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I like both story lines though! I would love thinking about the theater being a historical landmark but i also love the idea of there being a Muppet studios that people could go and tour. Disney better be careful because people may want to really tour the Muppet Studios if this movie is as big as i think it's going to be!

I Smell a Blockbuster (did someone say blockbuster) :crazy:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I like both story lines though! I would love thinking about the theater being a historical landmark but i also love the idea of there being a Muppet studios that people could go and tour. Disney better be careful because people may want to really tour the Muppet Studios if this movie is as big as i think it's going to be!

I Smell a Blockbuster (did someone say blockbuster) :crazy:
I would love to tour the Muppet Theatre

beaker

Reaction score
I didn't realize this as a child, but the Muppets have no actual "canon", continuity or storyline. No movie is related to eachother, even if now and then a special will reference something from a movie.

See, in the new film they acknowledge all previous films/shows/specials as simply stuff the Muppets acted in. So there cannot be a canon related to the past. But even this film is not the real world, but a self contained meta-continuity within itself

Kermit and Piggy never got married. Gonzo is not an alien. I think one of the only true to canon things is Rowlf has had a hard time getting work. But nothing from the tv shows, films or specials should be considered canon.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
But there never is an established canon, and there has never been a sequel. Though, VMX DID say that if Kermit wasn't born, Doc Hopper's would have flourished.
Which is even more peculiar given Doc Hopper's inability to sell stuff and he was barely making it (though he WAS able to start up a new location, which is where we first meet Max, during the construction).

Anyway, IIRC, the permit said you couldn't tear down the theater or change it. From what I've seen of the trailers, it just looked like they hadn't been there in awhile. It wasn't torn down, it wasn't turned into a nightclub ... it just had lots of cobwebs and dust. :smile: