Sesame Workshop Trying To Have It Both Ways(Bert/Ernie issue)

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
They never did. Otherwise Bert would be a LOT angrier if Ernie at cookies in the bed.
"Gordon, Bert won't talk to me anymore... I think it's because I left Crumbs in his bed."
Gordon reaction face.

fragglerockr

Reaction score
I read it was because someone complained it sounded too much like the term "Mammy", which apparently they say is a black stereotype term, but honestly, living in the south, I hear just about everybody, irregardless of race, use the term "Mammy", with no problems whatsoever.
D'Snowth,

I'm not trying to start an argument but offering insight. I'm not sure where you live but I've lived in and around Atlanta for all my life. That's pretty much deep south. I have never heard anyone use the term "Mammy" when describing their female parental unit. I would argue that term might have been thrown around long ago but would be considered offensive to most people currently.

Fragglerockr

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Sesame Workshop has made their stance clear. (repeatedly). I don't know about the T-shirts and merchandising- I'm not sure if all of those are actually licensed by Sesame Street in any case. If so, then as others have said, it's probably Sesame Workshop giving the sly wink...
But yes- people are going to interpret Ernie and Bert's relationship as they choose to, regardless of what the official statement might be.
Of course, considering the age range of most viewers of the show (at least the ones that it's aimed at), I really don't think any sexuality is appropriate at that age level. (At least not into the specifics of course. I realize we've already had Gordon and Susan adopting Miles and Maria and Luis getting married and then Maria giving birth to Gabi- but obviously on a simplified level.) If we're educating kids for kindergarten and elementary school, let's stick with numbers and letters and save the sex ed. class for middle school.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I really don't think any sexuality is appropriate at that age level.
But I don't think mentioning that there are same sex couples is that different from explaining why Maria and Luis were getting married. That's not really discussing sexuality, but rather relationships.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
True- and I can see how that would be a rationale for that. I think Sesame Workshop acknowledges that it's still a controversial issue for many and thus has steered away from it. I will say for myself, I would rather not see it on the show as The Bible says homosexuality is a sin and I would not like to see that presented to children (or anyone) as a good relationship.
(Sorry to anyone who feels differently- I don't mean to be offensive, but those are my moral convictions from my faith in Christ.)
Actually, the topic has been broached to a small degree before anyway - if anyone recalls one of my favorite songs on the show- "We All Sing With the Same Voice"- one of the lines mentions that someone has one daddy, where someone else has two...
I don't think kids would even catch that as I didn't even catch that until hearing it again years later from first seeing it as a kid in the '80s.
I doubt homosexuality would be presented on the show as something that some people choose to indulge in, though Christians and Muslims and other religions alike condemn it as being wrong.
I wonder if it wouldn't be presented as something that some people are born with and that's just the way it is. Here we would have conflicting ideologies and somehow I don't think Sesame Street would get into presenting all those different viewpoints.
But then Sesame Street (at least not to my knowledge) hasn't talked about people who just live together without being married and have children out of wedlock either. There are a lot of alternate relationships from the one man and one woman for life marriage relationship that could be explored on the show (and some have- like Gina adopting a kid without her having a husband to help raise the kid- a good ideal in giving the kid a better life, but it'd be even better if he was in a home with a Mommy and Daddy)... I just don't know that all of them should be.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
By the way, I love your avatar, heralde. Great pic of Ralph there- lol. I love The Greatest American Hero.:smile: