Dad hears a "racial slur" on Fraggle Rock

Slackbot

Reaction score
I'd love it if they could simply have Whitmire rerecord the line so it's absolutely clear that Wembley is saying "Gee, Gobo." That won't happen because that would be officially editing an episode that has been out there for decades, as opposed to one distributor taking it on themselves to bleep it, but I can wish.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I think that's some sort of completely idiotic attempt of censoring violence somehow. There's NO reason for them to censor the word attack no matter how they rationalize it.
I don't know if it's that. I mean they use the word "attack" all over the Fraggle War episode and it's not taken out.

Katzi428

Reaction score
NOT trying to take the father's side. But forgetting Gobo's name for a few fleeting seconds it did sound like what the father thought it did.
(And for the one who was looking for a facepalm smiley? Pepe's eyeroll smiley does just as well. :rolleyes:)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
NOT trying to take the father's side. But forgetting Gobo's name for a few fleeting seconds it did sound like what the father thought it did.
Yeah but if the guy actually, you know, watched the episode he would have seen that that didn't make any sense within the context of the scene. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know if it's that. I mean they use the word "attack" all over the Fraggle War episode and it's not taken out.
Exactly. It makes censoring it all the more pointless if that was the case. I've never heard of any video game past or present called zombie attack... and even if a new game were titled that, Henson would strangely own the copyright on the name for it appearing in the show.

he was quite likely not paying attention and heard what he thought he heard because he's likely the kind of person to take offense towards everything to the point of actually listening out for offensive stuff on purpose. Like he was looking for it.

Still, it's an obscure slur and wasn't used in context of anything. And if it was, it would have been caught over 25 years ago.

KirbTreelo05

Reaction score
I'd love it if they could simply have Whitmire rerecord the line so it's absolutely clear that Wembley is saying "Gee, Gobo."
THIS. I wish this would happen instead of them having to edit Gobo's name out. How will they do that without it looking awkward?

I couldn't make out what Wembley was saying when I first heard that portion of the clip, but when I did, it sounded nothing like a slur to me. Sounds more like "Gigobo" if anything else.

This reminds me of an incident with a Hoops and Yoyo card where the NAACP thought the characters were referring to black women in a degrading manner, when they were really taking about astronomy related things.

You can clearly hear the "L" sound in the word "hole" being said! Why would they use that slur and then talk about planets watching their backs?! People really need to analyze this stuff before they stat jumping to conclusions...:sigh:

(And for the one who was looking for a facepalm smiley? Pepe's eyeroll smiley does just as well. :rolleyes:)
That was me. x) I suppose that'll have to do for now. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
*facepalm* Do these people just TRY to play the racism card? How to do you hear anything but "Holes" in that?​

and to respond to that video, this one about the same thing makes it even more stupid, as the card was out for THREE YEARS before anyone complained.​
This is why no one takes them seriously when there's something that's ACTUALLY harmful. This invites racism.This invites people mocking them for being uppity. The stereotype of the uppity ethnic person will rise and become very negative very fast.

Anyone ever see the movie Bowfinger? When Eddie Murphy's titular character was shouting about a script he turned down because the letter K was used in a number perfectly divisible by 3 (KKK), and that someone mentioned Shakespeare which sounded like shaking spears or something like that? That's how these guys function. They care so much about imaginary problems they make up, and play the race card to make them sound like they're right in their paranoia.

Something tells me they KNEW expressly that this was about outer space and knew they were saying black holes. They just wanted to create an imaginary controversy to prove that they can. Meanwhile, unspeakable crimes against African Americans with malicious intent are going unpunished and they're not doing a thing against it because they know that a company that's afraid of bad PR is an easier target, and an easier way to get a win.

Besides... the most offensive thing in that card is saying that if you graduate high school and college that you can take on the world. I just want someone to make a card that says, "If you graduate college, you're not going to get the job you remotely want unless you're born into wealth and your father's a majority stock holder." and "you're probably going to live with your parents for the rest of your life and have to get the same jobs you'd get if you dropped out of high school in the first place. Get ready to spend the next decade of your life paying off student loans."

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I hate it when anyone tries to play the race card. I mean, seriously? Some people just always have to twist things around to make it seem racist. Recently, Rush Limbuagh recently used the word 'uppity' when talking about Michele Obama being booed at a Nascar race. The Merriam-Webster definition of 'uppity' is "arrogant, presumptuous." I don't condemn Rush for having this opinion about the first lady. But, yesterday, on World News, ABC decided to show the slang definition of 'uppity' which basically means an African-American who doesn't know their place. WHAT? So, they're calling Limbaugh a racist by making it seem like Rush was using the slang version. Seriously, I'm just tired of the race card being played. Sure, racism definitely does exist. But, please, stop trying to make it seem like something's racist when it really is not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a difference. Rush likes being controversial. He strives to be controversial. Fraggle Rock doesn't, and certainly not a greeting card.