Your Thoughts: Jason Segel and The Muppets on Saturday Night Live November 19

Zander

Reaction score
I'm still a bit in shock over Kermit's appearance during the Really !?! segment.. but it WAS very funny!!!

12Medbe

Reaction score
Steve is doing a good job with Kermit and I am liking what he's doing more now than ever before. Keep it up, dear--Kissy kissy!! (I'll let Miss Piggy be my proxy and do the honors....)
Obviously the Henson family had the correct intentions passing Kermit on to him. I have no doubt in my mind that Steve is doing Jim proud.

beaker

Reaction score
Has Piggy ever been so "full bodied" before? I don't mean full figured...I mean, where in live appearances on tv she appears full bodied as opposed to being filmed from the waste up like most Muppets. On Leno and especially SNL. On SNL she appears to be standing, further adding to the illusion. On Fallon, the illusion works wonders with her and Kermit appearing full bodied in the open.I'm just so used to seeing the Muppets obscured by a wall or desk or just filmed from the chest up.

And of course it appears in this new film, there's a number of shots of the Muppets full bodied...Fozzie and his whoopie shoes, Scooter cleaning, Fozzie/Kermit/Walter on Gonzo's toilets, Piggy walking down the theater aisle. Just cool seeing the lifelike image furthered.

Drtooth

Reaction score
How did anyone here seriously think there wouldn't be any Muppet cameos? :smile: The Muppets were on SNL in late 2004, Kermit with Robert Deniro, Cookie Monster was with Jeff Bridges, etc.
I had no doubt that there would be some Muppet heads up. It was highly likely that they would have appeared, and if they didn't due to scheduling problems, we could have seen another Muppet parody sketch. Luckily they were able to get the puppeteers. That's the only reason they wouldn't have appeared... but they have a HUUUUUGE movie to promote, so I guess Disney had them make time in advance.

Nothing shocked and delighted me more than seeing Scooter in the group. I was basically expecting Kermit and Piggy, maybe Fozzie and Gonzo and Animal... but Rowlf AND Scooter?!? Nothing sends a message of classic Muppets like Scooter and Rowlf. It's so great we have these characters back, instead of characters as background.

beaker

Reaction score
I had no doubt that there would be some Muppet heads up. It was highly likely that they would have appeared, and if they didn't due to scheduling problems, we could have seen another Muppet parody sketch. Luckily they were able to get the puppeteers. That's the only reason they wouldn't have appeared... but they have a HUUUUUGE movie to promote, so I guess Disney had them make time in advance.

Nothing shocked and delighted me more than seeing Scooter in the group. I was basically expecting Kermit and Piggy, maybe Fozzie and Gonzo and Animal... but Rowlf AND Scooter?!? Nothing sends a message of classic Muppets like Scooter and Rowlf. It's so great we have these characters back, instead of characters as background.
Well they're going out of their way to push Scooter and Rowlf back to the forefront which is good. Though it's funny how only some characters (like Piggy) get new outfits

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
I agree! Scooter being my favourite character, it's just so wonderful to see them FINALLY making an effort to push him back into the forefront. I never thought this could happen and it's so nice to see that Jason Segel seems to value all these classic characters as much as we do and wants to bring them back where they belong.

I was laughing so hard when I saw the opening monologue. I love how they turn on Jason Segel in this clip. It had me in stitches!

I know others have said this, but what the heck, I'll say it too: It was also just so great to see the "classic six" Muppet Characters back together again for this - No Pepe or Animal, just these guys (Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter & Rowlf) singing with Jason Segel. Feels right :smile:

And on an SNL Appearance, no less!

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm so glad they're bringing these characters back. I can't even begin to express how much I've missed Rowlf. He was always my favorite as a kid, and the fact that he hasn't been around much as I've grown up has been a major bummer. And seeing Scooter front and center puts a smile on my face.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------
I was delighted that my suspicions that Segal wouldn't come alone to the show were justified! The song was wonderful -- and I laughed heartily at this exchange:
Jason: "I believe pigs are sexy!"
Piggy: (coyly) "Taken!"
Kermit: "Mmm-HMM!"

Plus, Kermit semi-reviving his early job as a news correspondent for the Weekend Update was cute, even though he was being more opinion-panel than journalist, and I too dislike the whole "Really?" overuse. Still cute. And having the Muppeteers taking their well-deserved applause at the end was great! Was anyone else thrilled when the audience went NUTS as the Muppets popped up behind the piano in the opening? Woo hoooo! :smile:
---------------------

beaker

Reaction score
I'm so glad they're bringing these characters back. I can't even begin to express how much I've missed Rowlf. He was always my favorite as a kid, and the fact that he hasn't been around much as I've grown up has been a major bummer. And seeing Scooter front and center puts a smile on my face.
Rowlf was my mom's favorite muppet as a child from what she said, and this was the early 1960's! Most people forget Rowlf was the main Muppet next to Kermit for over two decades. Wise beyond his (dog) years(and flappy ears), I loved Rowlf's appearance on one of the Cooking With Cat Cora sketches, where he spoofs how he'll take any work he can get(given he hasn't been seen much) There's something so wise, legendary, unspoken and graceful about him.

beaker

Reaction score
------------------
I was delighted that my suspicions that Segal wouldn't come alone to the show were justified! The song was wonderful -- and I laughed heartily at this exchange:
Jason: "I believe pigs are sexy!"
Piggy: (coyly) "Taken!"
Kermit: "Mmm-HMM!"

Plus, Kermit semi-reviving his early job as a news correspondent for the Weekend Update was cute, even though he was being more opinion-panel than journalist, and I too dislike the whole "Really?" overuse. Still cute. And having the Muppeteers taking their well-deserved applause at the end was great! Was anyone else thrilled when the audience went NUTS as the Muppets popped up behind the piano in the opening? Woo hoooo! :smile:
---------------------
The Muppets also got a big gasp and pop on SNL from the audience when they randomly appeared in late 2004 as well as when Kermit surprised cameo'd with Robert Deniro awhile back. I almost think this new movie, as much as Disney is trying to push it to kids, will be mostly college people and adults going gaga for it