Sesame Workshop Trying To Have It Both Ways(Bert/Ernie issue)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I must stress one more time, this thread isn't because of the either or, but rather the fact SW is making a nod to it in merchandise. They only took a stand on them NOT being a gay couple, and the shirts are nothing more than a snickering aside...

like I said earlier, even though they have shirts with the Count dressed up in Pimp attire that doesn't mean there's going to be a sketch where he sells women's bodies.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
By the way, I love your avatar, heralde. Great pic of Ralph there- lol. I love The Greatest American Hero.:smile:
Aw thanks! Yeah Ralph's the best, he'll tell you like it is, right? lol :wink:

I will say for myself, I would rather not see it on the show as The Bible says homosexuality is a sin and I would not like to see that presented to children (or anyone) as a good relationship.
(Sorry to anyone who feels differently- I don't mean to be offensive, but those are my moral convictions from my faith in Christ.)
You're allowed to have an opinion, this is America. :wink: I am a Christian too and I personally disagree with your interpretation, but again, that's why our country is great, lol. :smile:

Actually, the topic has been broached to a small degree before anyway - if anyone recalls one of my favorite songs on the show- "We All Sing With the Same Voice"- one of the lines mentions that someone has one daddy, where someone else has two...
I actually think that was probably more about divorce which was more controversial back then.

fragglerockr

Reaction score
I doubt homosexuality would be presented on the show as something that some people choose to indulge in, though Christians and Muslims and other religions alike condemn it as being wrong.
GonzoLeaper,

There are so many statements that you made that just make me go, Wow! I disagree with a lot but the above is the one that sticks out the most to me.

Gay people don't choose to be or "indulge" in being gay anymore than you choose to be straight or I choose to be a white male. I can wake up wanting to be black or hispanic but that doesn't mean I will be. I can paint my face, immerse myself in a different culture, but I'm still white. I am, what I am. Buying a new Muppet CD is an indulgence. Eating chocolate is an indulgence. Taking a nap on a lazy Sunday is an indulgence. One's sexual orientation is not.

Also, there is no evidence that children of single parents or even same sex couples have a better or inferior life, than those raised by a "Mommy and a Daddy", as you put it.

I will agree, that since same sex couples are a hot button issue, Seasame Workshop won't be featuring them on 'The Street' anytime soon. They have always been on the forefront of social culture. I do hope that as cultural attitudes shift and change that they too, will consider adding them to the cast. Featuring a same sex cast couple does not equate to teaching children about sexuality any more than showing Luis and Maria as a couple does.

Fragglerockr

Drtooth

Reaction score
I will agree, that since same sex couples are a hot button issue, Seasame Workshop won't be featuring them on 'The Street' anytime soon. They have always been on the forefront of social culture. I do hope that as cultural attitudes shift and change that they too, will consider adding them to the cast. Featuring a same sex cast couple does not equate to teaching children about sexuality any more than showing Luis and Maria as a couple does.
I always personally believed that the ONLY reason why Maria and Luis were a couple was because the Maria/David relationship was feared to be promoting an interracial couple.

Now they did discuss love on multiple occasions... none of which promoted any agenda. The Maria and Luis wedding (and eventual baby birth) was a major event, but it was never touched upon again. Sort of like Mr. Hooper's death. They've been lucky enough not to have to discuss any of that ever again (the Michael Jeter Mr. Noodle character just existed in Elmo's mind, so they didn't need to explain that). There was an episode a few years back where Elmo has a crush on Gina, and Gina explained there are different kinds of love... and that her's was more like a young aunt and her nephew (not so much in those words). No sex. They never ever mentioned that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I always personally believed that the ONLY reason why Maria and Luis were a couple was because the Maria/David relationship was feared to be promoting an interracial couple.
I know that still bothers me today. That was a shame.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well considering the problems that the actor who portrayed David had, it's all for the best. Funny thing is, Gina and Savion were clearly a couple, but Savion left to do other things... same with Gabby and Miles (who also left for other things).

Still, I'm surprised NO ONE complained about Marco getting adopted by Gina, a single mother. I guess that's acceptable in society now, but I can't forget when Murphy Brown adopted a baby and Dan Quayle had a hissy fit over it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Still, I'm surprised NO ONE complained about Marco getting adopted by Gina, a single mother. I guess that's acceptable in society now, but I can't forget when Murphy Brown adopted a baby and Dan Quayle had a hissy fit over it.
I thought there was some complaint, no? Maybe it was relatively minor.

Yeah Dan Quayle was quite funny that way, lol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
like I said earlier, even though they have shirts with the Count dressed up in Pimp attire that doesn't mean there's going to be a sketch where he sells women's bodies.
LOL, brilliant.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
D'Snowth,

I'm not trying to start an argument but offering insight. I'm not sure where you live but I've lived in and around Atlanta for all my life. That's pretty much deep south. I have never heard anyone use the term "Mammy" when describing their female parental unit. I would argue that term might have been thrown around long ago but would be considered offensive to most people currently.

Fragglerockr
Well, I live in Tennessee, Knoxville to be exact, and admittedly, Knoxville is like a hundred years behind as opposed to being ahead... but I do mean to say that the term "mammy" hasn't really beenused in a long time, but growing up, I did hear it a lot.
Actually, the topic has been broached to a small degree before anyway - if anyone recalls one of my favorite songs on the show- "We All Sing With the Same Voice"- one of the lines mentions that someone has one daddy, where someone else has two...
We mentioned that before, and IIRC, I mentioned my theory was that whoever sang that particular verse may have refered to like maybe a paternal/biologocial father, and a stepfather... t least that's how I always interpreted it.

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Well, I live in Tennessee, Knoxville to be exact, and admittedly, Knoxville is like a hundred years behind as opposed to being ahead... but I do mean to say that the term "mammy" hasn't really beenused in a long time, but growing up, I did hear it a lot.
D'Snowth,

Wow? That's crazy. I think around here if someone said it they would be shot.

Fragglerockr