Frank Oz worked on a new Muppet movie script

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I think you've missed the point of what everyone is talking about on this thread... and the point of the article itself.

Plus I hate how every article that says "FRANK OZ DISAPPROVES OF THIS MOVIE" uses the exact same single quote over and over again. It's gotten old.
Sorry, if I missed the idea, what did I miss?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plus I hate how every article that says "FRANK OZ DISAPPROVES OF THIS MOVIE" uses the exact same single quote over and over again. It's gotten old.
That's something that's been taken out of context. Somehow I feel that, while he has qualms of how the movie was written back when he got the script (and again, I assure that it is an early draft), but was also annoyed by the fact that one single thing has to define him and his career. We also have to remember he also added, "I don't want to be a sourpuss and ruin the movie," meaning that he wishes it well, and hopes it finds an audience.

The movie is getting very positive reviews... even the "negative" ones seem to be pretty positive. I think I heard that the Henson kids give it a seal of approval. The fans who saw it seem to really like it... one tiny complaint taken out of context based on an early pass of a script didn't put a damper on anything. in fact, I still think the thing we need to take into consideration is that they actually brought the script to Frank and asked him if he wanted to be in the film.

Puckrox

Reaction score
That's something that's been taken out of context. Somehow I feel that, while he has qualms of how the movie was written back when he got the script (and again, I assure that it is an early draft), but was also annoyed by the fact that one single thing has to define him and his career. We also have to remember he also added, "I don't want to be a sourpuss and ruin the movie," meaning that he wishes it well, and hopes it finds an audience.
That's been my frame of mine on the whole thing. I read a long time ago that what Frank was talking about was an early draft, before it had met with edits and revisions. The part about not wanting to be a sourpuss has always caught my eye. He obviously didn't want his comments to effect the outcome of his movie, and the fact that that's the only quote floating around in articles probably means he hasn't been going around saying anything else. And Frank's made it very clear over the years that he didn't want to be tied down to just Muppets; that's why he branched out to direct. He grew up in a household where his parents were puppeteers, correct? Odds are he just wanted something different, and no one can blame him for that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have nothing but the highest respect for Frank Oz, and I completely respect his career choices... even movies that were... well... less than stellar. Why did no one ask him about the remake of his movie Death at a Funeral? That would have been a more interesting question with an interesting answer. He's a director now, I respect him for it, I think Eric is doing a wonderful job with his characters... but anytime he appears back on Sesame Street, it's a master coming back to pay homage to his roots. I cannot wait for his return as Grover in the Spider-Monster Turn of the Dark parody.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Okay let me get this straight so I got it right. So before any kind of Muppet Production is made, scripts and stuff are approved my The Muppet Studios team before they go to the next stage of production, right? That's good. I didn't know they had that. That sort of makes me feel better thinking of Disney because before I'm always nervous about how they are handling The Muppets. But from what I've read so far, it seems like things are slowly coming back to The Muppets old classic selves again.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Scripts in movies and tv shows go through several rewrites before the final shooting script in approved and used. Even the shooting script might go through some very light polishing touches and add some things or take out some things that help the movie/tv show in some capacity. Jason's early script was a rough sketch on what he wanted to do until it started getting rewrites and treatments from various people who know the muppets (as pointed out on this thread).

For example, in "Ghostbusters" (we all know that movie right?!!), Dan Ackroyd wanted the Ghostbusters to go to various planets/dimensions and fight ghosts and what not. It wasn't until Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis got Dan's script and started to chip away at the pieces and added some things and take away some things that didn't work. And of course what we saw in the movie was what was written in the final script.

What Frank Oz saw was a very rough first script and I'm sure it sucked, as most tv/movie scripts in their beginning stages usually aren't very good until people start chipping away and adding some things to make the script better.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay let me get this straight so I got it right. So before any kind of Muppet Production is made, scripts and stuff are approved my The Muppet Studios team before they go to the next stage of production, right? That's good. I didn't know they had that. That sort of makes me feel better thinking of Disney because before I'm always nervous about how they are handling The Muppets. But from what I've read so far, it seems like things are slowly coming back to The Muppets old classic selves again.
Yeah, the Muppet team helped them shape the script, and the changes were all welcomed. And I honestly think the changes from the original fit the movie much better. There's a valid specific reason why Kermit has that house and it is revealed in the movie. But everything that's sent to them, even the comic books, had to pass through Jim Lewis and the rest of the Muppet Studios staff... that's why Skeeter's appearance in the Family Reunion arc was supposed to be ambiguous if it was really happening or not.

For example, in "Ghostbusters" (we all know that movie right?!!), Dan Ackroyd wanted the Ghostbusters to go to various planets/dimensions and fight ghosts and what not. It wasn't until Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis got Dan's script and started to chip away at the pieces and added some things and take away some things that didn't work. And of course what we saw in the movie was what was written in the final script.
Wanna hear the worst thing? I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but the original premise of the Ghostbusters movie wound up being the premise for the Filmation Ghostbusters cartoon, where they DID go to different time periods and outer space.

Alvin

Reaction score
I'm all about originals and founders coming back the roots. Look at all the 80's music that is still alive and coming back around today. I think Frank Oz should be given a chance to do the next one. EVEN voice his original characters. That would be great...I can only imagine the next move on the Muppets part....I am wondering if they will consider TV again....anything is possible...we've come this far!

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I'm all about originals and founders coming back the roots. Look at all the 80's music that is still alive and coming back around today. I think Frank Oz should be given a chance to do the next one. EVEN voice his original characters. That would be great...I can only imagine the next move on the Muppets part....I am wondering if they will consider TV again....anything is possible...we've come this far!
Yeah diffidently. I would love to see The Muppets return to TV. I still remember when I was about 10 or a bit older when Muppets Tonight came out, that was awesome. I taped as many episodes as I could. Of course this is before I found out that there was about 10 minutes of footage that didn't make it on the US airings. LOL

I would love Frank to not only perform his characters again but to write and direct another movie. He's the only original Muppet Show writer around. Jerry Juhl is gone and Chris Langom.......well I really can't discuss what happened to him on this forum, just do the research. So yeah. Or better yet, Jim Lewis and Frank Oz. That would be SWEET!!!!

Speaking of "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever", that was written by Jim Henson, Jerry Juhl and Frank Oz, right? That'll be great if they make that. It would be like a work of Jim Henson's that was never made until.....whenever they make it. I breifly read the plot, it sounds really funny. Gonzo directs the movie and it gets cheaper and cheaper by the end of the film. That's Muppet Comedy for ya. LOL