Scooter Appreciation Thread For The Most Underappraciated, Disrespected Muppet of Ever

Do you hate Scooter?

• Yes, because I'm a terrible person

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • No, because I'm wonderful

Votes: 59 96.7%
  • Maybe, but I have no backbone so I can't make up my mind

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

robodog

Reaction score
I can't see how someone can hate any muppet myself. I did have a cousin once who hated Miss Piggy for some reason. I never really could figure out why.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Maybe he comes off a little like the obnoxious brat hired by nepotism at first, but that's... what? like one or two first season episodes? He really became something better since.
I always felt like Scooter really did respect Kermit, even early on, it's just that he felt he had to pump himself up in order to be taken seriously. Which he probably did considering Kermit was ready to send him out the door on their first meeting, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
First day on the job stuff. I'm wondering if the character was originally written to be a lazy, bratty kid that needed to say "My uncle owns the theater" every time he does something wrong, but they abandoned it very early on. Seems like Scooter has nothing but love for the job and respect for everyone, especially Kermit. He enjoys being there and he enjoys the family like atmosphere that they all bring.

If they added that kinda depth to Scribbler, maybe they coulda taken him further... seems like of all the characters that had the potential to be despicably unlikable, they turned Scooter around. he's an energetic young go getter... he could have very well been a weaselly brat. Thank frog he didn't go down that route or he wouldn't be the lovable guy he is today.

beaker

Reaction score
What hate? I see Pepe getting hate from some in the Muppet fandom world. But Scooter? Like Rowlf he's beloved beyond belief.

No idea what you guys are talking about. So amazing his voice is now spot on, and he had such a prominent role in the new movie. He's really the closest personality wise to Walter.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What hate? I see Pepe getting hate from some in the Muppet fandom world. But Scooter? Like Rowlf he's beloved beyond belief. No idea what you guys are talking about.
Not here, but I've definitely seem some hate on the Web in random places. Scooter gets picked on for being wimpish, etc. It's really annoying.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the character was originally written to be a lazy, bratty kid that needed to say "My uncle owns the theater" every time he does something wrong, but they abandoned it very early on. Seems like Scooter has nothing but love for the job and respect for everyone, especially Kermit. He enjoys being there and he enjoys the family like atmosphere that they all bring.
I don't get the impression they meant for Scooter to be unlikeable. It's just that he had a personality hang-up the way all the other characters did which served to drive Kermit crazy. Fozzie's insecurity about his jokes, Gonzo being oblivious that his art was bad and Scooter's willingness to pull rank to break into the business.

The difference is Scooter's problem was eventually solved; Kermit began to trust him with running things backstage. So Scooter became more like Kermit, responsible for dealing with all these crazy people. I've said before, I love how Scooter was sort of on both sides of the asylum in that way, lol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Maybe he comes off a little like the obnoxious brat hired by nepotism at first
A couple years ago I found an old book of Muppet poems called Kermit's Garden of Verses. It has this very amusing poem about Scooter:

"Oh, Scooter is my go-fer
But he doesn't go for much;
I'm sure that he'd deny it,
But he hasn't got the touch.

If I sent him for a sandwich
He forgets to get the bread.
He buys a day-old pizza
And he drops it on my head.

When he should be fetching doughnuts
He decides to take a nap.
He brings me boiling coffee
And he spills it in my lap.

BUT...
His uncle owns the theater,
Every window, every door,
All the crumbling walls and ceilings,
Every inch of rotting floor,
So though Scooter hardly ever
Does the things that Scooter should,
He's my one and only go-fer
And he's got the job for good!" :wink:

We Got Us

Reaction score
Scooter is and has and will be my all-time favorite Muppet since I heard his cute voice singing "Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear" for the first time. Would you believe that song makes me cry now? My mom, who passed away this year, used to call me 'Scooter' since as the oldest child (and an OCD work-a-holic fourteen-year-old) I was always the one running around trying get things done when everyone else wanted to relax. I wish people could see the brilliance of Scooter's character from the first few seasons of TMS, funny, ditzy, puppy-ish and trying hard to be helpful, he was like the original Walter but with a bit more of a mayhem-inclined side. (Why bother begging for a job when your uncle owns the theater? ;-) I know some of us have fond memories of Muppet Babies (including me, even though it was a little before my time to be on television) but I can't help but think that show ruined his reputation. Using nothing but the glasses to go on, they changed his character from a slightly dorky/ over enthusiastic 70's child (AKA, BIG Elton John geek) to a computer wielding and thoroughly paranoid child genius. Now the 'nerd' element seems to be seeping into his character in every other production. Come on, the original Scooter had a skateboard. A SKATEBOARD!! Lol.

P.S. Sorry about the rambling, this is my first post as an official Muppet Central member (long time Muppet Central stalker ;-) and I'm a little over-enthusiastic too.