Need some help with making Rowlf-type eyes

Writersright

Reaction score
I'm planning on building my very own Muppet and while I have a pretty good idea about how to build it, the eyes are a bit of a problem. I want my Muppet to have Rowlf/Ernie -type eyes.
I recently visited the Museum of the Moving Images in New York where I got to see Real Rowlf/Ernie Muppets used and looking at the eyes they seemed like they were made out of wood or something, nor out of fabric as I originally thought.

Does anyone know what the eyes of those Muppets are made out of and how I can make similair eyes?

Writersright

Reaction score
That is a nice idea yeah. Have you had any experience with puppet building using table spoons?

Animal31

Reaction score
I have made a few in the past, another option is from a place called Out of the Box, they sell "Comical Eyes" which are about the same shape...

ToodlesTeam

Reaction score
I've used spoons for the eyes on my replicas of Rowlf and Ernie over the years. They work pretty well, but they are more overtly egg-shaped than the more oval shape of Rowlf's eyes. If you don't mind that though, they work quite well as nice looking puppet eyes!

Writersright

Reaction score
But does anyone know what the actual eyes are made out of? Also, do you have any pictures of your replicas ToodlesTeam? I'd love to see them.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I believe the actual eyes were made from a toy called "Wacky Stacks." The company went out of business in the 60s or 70s and all their stock was purchased by.... the Jim Henson company.