PBS announces Mister Rogers spin-off: "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigzSarducci

Reaction score
Looks and sounds promising though nothing could ever replace Mr Roger's that's a tough act to follow.

~Bigz

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm no fan of the misconception that some new version of something will replace the old thing (the ONLY one to do that is George Lucas, and he gets a LOT of crap for it). While there are cases that some remakes are more remembered (Frank Oz's Dirty Rotten Scoundrels... that was a remake) and some recasts of characters are more known than their original actors (Mel Blanc was the second person to voice Porky Pig), the classics, the originals never get overshadowed. Some new things co-exist beautifully with the classics... nothing is ever outdone.

That said, it's gonna take a lot more than referencing characters, names, places, and songs to make this worthy of being a new generation's nod to Mr. Rogers.

SilentXero

Reaction score
Here's some more info...
I'm so glad for this show. The new Daniel Tiger will at least not be such a sniveling
coward like his dad was! I hated the original Daniel; he just whined and was afraid of everthing! This new Daniel actually looks cute (not like that horrible,ugly puppet).
I hope they also modify some of the other characters (henretta's kitten to actually speak without ringing that annoying bell and inserting meow meow in every sentence). I'm glad this show is being made; it'll definitely be an improvement over the original NHOMB, but nothing can take the place for Mr. Rogers.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I've heard of this- should be interesting. I don't think it will ever replace "Mister Roger's Neighborhood" in the hearts of all those who have grown up watching it, but hopefully it will be a worthy successor. I'm glad Mister Rogers' show is still on PBS and reruns available on DVD and iTunes, etc. - such a great children's show with the wonderful message that everyone is special and make each day special by just being themselves. :smile:

Well... Mr. Rogers did talk kinda slow to the kids... but then again, that was the way he naturally spoke.​

I've read in a biography on Mr. Rogers that he spoke slowly because he liked to take some time to think on what someone had said and carefully measure his response. If anyone is interested (and I've probably mentioned this before but I'll mention it again because I love it) there is a wonderful biography available on Mister Rogers by Amy Hollingsworth called "The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers". As some may know, he was an ordained Presbyterian minister and regarded his television show as his calling and ministry to children. As Tom Brokaw once said of Mister Rogers, he "never mentioned God on his show. He never had to." The love of Christ was evident in Mister Rogers' kind and gentle manner and his always encouraging message that everyone is valuable because they are made in the image of God.
Mister Rogers is a Christian hero to me.:wisdom::smile:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Dear PBS: LEAVE MY CHILDHOOD ALONE! There is no way this "spin-off" will have the magic of Fred Rogers. It's just a way to make profit off of something good. While you're at it, why don't you give Elmo his own show too? Oh wait....

Lily

Reaction score
This looks interesting...I'm withholding my judgement until the first show comes out. I know so many look at remakes or second generations of movies and shows as something that should never be done and "how dare you". However, the fact that they are trying to keep the essence of the show alive through new material for children of today's era is better than taking the original and leaving it on a shelf to collect dust.

I'm probably going to get crap fro this, but I'm glad they are at least trying to keep the spirit of the original alive through today's generation as well. *Prepares to duck from rotten tomatoes*

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
This looks interesting...I'm withholding my judgement until the first show comes out. I know so many look at remakes or second generations of movies and shows as something that should never be done and "how dare you". However, the fact that they are trying to keep the essence of the show alive through new material for children of today's era is better than taking the original and leaving it on a shelf to collect dust.

I'm probably going to get crap fro this, but I'm glad they are at least trying to keep the spirit of the original alive through today's generation as well. *Prepares to duck from rotten tomatoes*
No, I won't throw rotten tomatoes at you! I disagree with you, but you're allowed to have your own opinion!

Drtooth

Reaction score

I kinda agree with that to an extent. I HATE when everyone automatically dismisses a spinoff or reboot for being new. But there are cases where those guys are right.

I am going to reserve judgement on this... if it's a heartfelt tribute series, I can applaud an effort... if it turns into yet another Dora/SuperWhy series, something we don't need, then it's going to tick a LOT of people off.

I don't like the idea that older things have to sit on the shelf and gather dust unless someone introduces something new, but that's how it works. I still don't get the angry fanboy hate of the new Star Trek movie, especially since the rest of the world actually enjoyed a Star Trek movie for a change... but I do empathize when there's crap like the Underdog movie or the new George of the Jungle... something generic that only bares a nostalgic name because someone bought something. Most times they are indeed done wrong, but there's always an instance where something's either just as good, still good, and even makes improvements on the source material.

Lily

Reaction score
Dominic - Thank you for your message. You are right, we are all entitled to our own opinions...I guess sometimes I get frightened to voice mine when I've seen so many people get angry at others who's thoughts or ideals differ from their own. I need to learn not to be afraid of confrontation. :concern:

Dr. Tooth- Yes! What you said exactly! I believe to give things like this a chance before condemning it. You never know, sometimes a few of them end up being a diamond in the rough. I guess thats the optimist in me. :smile:

Oh! And I am a huge Star Trek fan and absolutely loved the original, STNG and the new movie! They all have their own flavor to them and each a joy to watch in their own right.

Anyhow, thank you guys for your responses.

Cheers!

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Dominic - Thank you for your message. You are right, we are all entitled to our own opinions...I guess sometimes I get frightened to voice mine when I've seen so many people get angry at others who's thoughts or ideals differ from their own. I need to learn not to be afraid of confrontation. :concern:

Dr. Tooth- Yes! What you said exactly! I believe to give things like this a chance before condemning it. You never know, sometimes a few of them end up being a diamond in the rough. I guess thats the optimist in me. :smile:

Oh! And I am a huge Star Trek fan and absolutely loved the original, STNG and the new movie! They all have their own flavor to them and each a joy to watch in their own right.

Anyhow, thank you guys for your responses.

Cheers!
No problem! I agree with you, because sometimes people go as far as to say "If you like this then you must be an idiot". Everyone has different tastes, or there would only be 1 type of food, music, book, or movie! How boring would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.