Elmo in Grouchland: Any fans?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
My 2 year old daughter has a copy of Elmo In Grouchland, she watches it every single morning with her mom and then sh has to watch it when I come home from work. Now I know that some people have said how much they hate the movie but after watching the movie for almost everyday for a month the movie is really starting to grow on me.
So I'm asking dose anyone one in here like Elmo in grouchland?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I quite enjoyed it... but there's no call for the movie to have been so similar to the show and have Elmo constantly ask the audience for help. There's a difference between fun Muppety breaking the fourth wall and just trying to be a preschool show.

But Ernie and Bert stopping and starting the action and commenting on it? Priceless.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I plan on doing a review of it as part of my Rewind Reviews series at some point, but I will say, despite it's flaws, it's at least the best of the three Jim Henson Pictures movies. Truth be told, Elmo is a lot easier to put up with in this than he is in episodes from this point in Sesame history, but it's at it's best when we are with the other characters, even if they spend a good 65% of the movie in the Grouchland jail. Mandy Patatkin is awesome in this, though. Tim Curry in IT caliber awesome. "Make It Mine" is honestly one of my favorite villain songs for that reason.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I enjoyed it. And I loved the part where Ernie and Bert come in and comment. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Truth be told, Elmo is a lot easier to put up with in this than he is in episodes from this point in Sesame history,
I tend to feel the frustration of the show being Elmo-centric is that we rarely get to see him as a character. Emoting and reacting to stuff. They usually just have him play alphabet guessing games or Elmo's World where the character basically just hosts stuff . We got to see Elmo do some real good character acting here... his fight with Zoe, his epiphany about sharing... same reason why I love Elmo saves Christmas. He does something.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I definitely was a huge fan when I was a kid. I watched it many a time. Sadly haven't seen it since... but maybe I should!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I liked it a lot better when I first saw it (I've been thinking about a lot of Henson stuff I like less than I first did... I wonder if my opinions of "The Muppets" will lower ina few years.... Nahhh...). Of course, around the time it was announced, I was sort of on a Follow That Bird kick. Rented it for the first time in years when EIG was announced, was hoping for a lot of similarities between the two (heck, after The Lion King was released I was hoping for a Lion King 2 to be just as similar, so that the sequel video game would be near identical to the game adaptation). I was hoping for Kermit to report on the search for Elmo, for Elmo's Sesame Street friends to travel by car in search of Elmo, for many supporting and minor characters to be seen (yeah, I don't think FTB had anybody who was no longer on the show at the time, and there were a lot more characters on the show in 1985 compared to 1999, but it's still puzzling they didn't include Slimey, Grundgetta, Kermit, Herry, Snuffy, Barkley, Mumford, Natasha, Humphrey, Ingrid, or Hoots), and was hoping the set would be more realistic-looking, with us being able to see all parts of the street. And to an extent the last thing I hoped for was the only of those included.

Then a few years later I finally owned a copy of FTB and enjoyed watching that more.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I've only watched the clip with the Queen of Trash on youtube, and that was for fanfic research (I paired her with Jareth eventually). I'm not big on Elmo, but I love her song. It's so beautiful. I sing it to myself every once in awhile. :big_grin:

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
The boys ask to watch it occassionally. I'm not sure why they like it, but I really like the music in it... Together, forever, na, na, na.... And Take The First Step. They're catchy. I really like the laundromat scene when everybody starts making music to the machines, and Mandy Patinkin. But really Bug and Stuckweed stole the show for me when I first saw it. It's definitely not as good as Follow That Bird, but I guess I never had expectations that it would be so I thought it was pretty decent - for an Elmo movie. :laugh: