Archaia to Reprint Marvel Fraggle Comics

Drtooth

Reaction score
I found this out through Deviant Art first, but here's Tough Pigs' official announcement

While I can't say the Marvel published Fraggle Rock comics are the greatest thing in the world, this is still great news to collectors, especially since they're digitally recoloring and remastering the artwork. Hopefully that means the art doesn't look so muddled and jumbled from the little inkdots, smudges, smears and bleedtrough of the original 1980's newsprint and greasy ink.

I'd buy it!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I'm interested in seeing what the remastered pages look like.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Well, I just happened to get a gift card on Christmas for my local comic book store. I just might buy this. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I'm interested in seeing what the remastered pages look like.
Well, the comic book preview pictures on the site are a little fuzzy... but so far, they look pretty good. Obviously digital colored. But looking at all the comics from that era I have, especially the Muppet Baby ones, remastering them on good paper can only improve the original artwork. Too many times the paper turns waxy and yellow, there's very obvious ink bleeds, the red ink mutates and bleeds if it didn't already...

Marie Severine did an amazing job with the art on this series and Muppet Babies, and it's all smudged and fuzzy looking in the original printings. While I can't say the Marvel version of Fraggle Rock was the greatest thing in the world (especially compared to Archaia's wonderful series), I still want to have it in my collection. Especially since I only have one issue in my possession.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I have all of the FR comics, and... I agree that Severin did a great job with Muppet Babies. Her FR art isn't bad by any means, but it doesn't live up to MB, and sometimes Wembley looks really weird. It doesn't help that most of the comics were just rehashes of TV episodes, so she probably didn't have as free a hand in illustrating those.

I'd love to see a Fraggle Rock comic illustrated in a Walt Kelly-esque style.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I was wondering why it kept showing "to be released" on the Amazon page when it was due out in September. Then suddenly it simply wasn't available at all and people wanted $90 for a copy!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I didn't find it today either. Did anyone else see it?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I just called Oxford Comics, and the owner said that there was a problem with a misprint, and they were now looking at a ship date of 1/18/2012.

Drtooth

Reaction score
JEEEZ! Another delay? Well, at least there's a reason and it's only a few weeks.