Disney Store Muppet Merchandise Released

Carl23

Reaction score
Everything is pretty much dead on. I used to collect Marvel figures, but I can't do that anymore, because since Hasbro manged to get the licence scale went from 6/7" to 3.25", the quality went way down, and the price went way up. The only options are cheap overpriced small figures, or pricey high quality figures. And again, Dr you are dead on. "Rise in Oil costs" is their canned excuse, and they'll throw it at anything. Price of oil raises 10% and price of the final product goes up 60% compared to older offerings. Hasbro cites that as the reason the scales on all lines are 3" now when they used to be 6", but it's no secret that they love doing small scale stuff.

I really don't want to keep reiterating, but you guys have really hit the nail on the head here. It's terrible that the majority would rather poke around on their gadgets than physical items, mostly that the mass markets have begun to lean further and further to that side. Video rental stores are dying, game stores, Books, magazines, among many many others being replaced by non-physical counterparts. It's really pretty rediculous, especially the things like eBooks costing the same amout as their print counterparts, DVDs not having special features anymore becasue "the pirates are going to steal the movies anyway", everything that becomes "famous" on the internet getting tons of sell-out merchandising, Anything angry birds in general. I really don't get that (unless you are on an airplane or similar) you would rather stare at a flat piece of glass and pretend to turn pages then to just get an actual book. Kids asking for ipod apps for christmas is really the icing on the aweful cake that is this current marketplace.

It's all about making profit on the smallest amout effort anymore, rather than working hard and producing high quality product. Why does anyone want an iPad instead of one of the other Tablet computer? Because the system says you're not cool unless it's an Apple. It's not about impressing potential customers with quality offering, it's about making your product "The thing to have" without anyone really knowing why.

Carl23

Reaction score
Also true, kermie. Although there's some accurate commentary, it's kinda getting a bit off topic in here.

For anyone interested, in the Twice Upon A Year Sale, the 9" Gonzo vinylmation set is $59.96 right now. Also notable, Kermit, Piggy, Beaker, Pepe and Rizzo are all Sold Out.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Maybe we should make a separate post about conversations about the merch. :laugh:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Everything is pretty much dead on. I used to collect Marvel figures, but I can't do that anymore, because since Hasbro manged to get the licence scale went from 6/7" to 3.25", the quality went way down, and the price went way up. The only options are cheap overpriced small figures, or pricey high quality figures. And again, Dr you are dead on. "Rise in Oil costs" is their canned excuse, and they'll throw it at anything. Price of oil raises 10% and price of the final product goes up 60% compared to older offerings. Hasbro cites that as the reason the scales on all lines are 3" now when they used to be 6", but it's no secret that they love doing small scale stuff.

I really don't want to keep reiterating, but you guys have really hit the nail on the head here. It's terrible that the majority would rather poke around on their gadgets than physical items, mostly that the mass markets have begun to lean further and further to that side. Video rental stores are dying, game stores, Books, magazines, among many many others being replaced by non-physical counterparts. It's really pretty rediculous, especially the things like eBooks costing the same amout as their print counterparts, DVDs not having special features anymore becasue "the pirates are going to steal the movies anyway", everything that becomes "famous" on the internet getting tons of sell-out merchandising, Anything angry birds in general. I really don't get that (unless you are on an airplane or similar) you would rather stare at a flat piece of glass and pretend to turn pages then to just get an actual book. Kids asking for ipod apps for christmas is really the icing on the aweful cake that is this current marketplace.
The only correction I'd make is that DVD's don't have special features because they're shoving them as Blu Ray exclusives. There's no call to keep charging 20 bucks per movie if there's no reason to buy it. They're willfully trying to make their own stuff obsolete.

I hate how everything has to be digital only. Where's the choice? All it does is close down shops and lose jobs. No wonder why we're in a perma-recession. Half the jobs will never come back due to digital media. That said, Disney SHOULD have at least released those Apps they said they were going to 2 years ago. They would have made money no doubt.

And I REALLY hate the toy industry. I'm digging the smaller companies like Jazzwares (their Adventure Time and Sonic stuff is leaps and bounds over mainstream stuff). I liked the sculpts, but disliked the sloppy paint apps on the Megamind line. Other than that, it's all overpriced junk and they're wondering why no one buys the stuff anymore. But then again, kids don't like toys and grow out of everything by the time they're old enough for the suggested age group.

For anyone interested, in the Twice Upon A Year Sale, the 9" Gonzo vinylmation set is $59.96 right now. Also notable, Kermit, Piggy, Beaker, Pepe and Rizzo are all Sold Out.
Every time I went to the Disney Store since they carried them, the Muppet Vynalmations sold solidly. There was never more than half an open package when I checked. The other stuff didn't seem to move (maybe the Nightmare before Christmas stuff).

Carl23

Reaction score
For clarification, that's the Plushes of Kermit, Piggy, Beaker, Pepe and Rizzo that are out. Both of the GIANT sized are still in stock.

The one thing that does seem to sell rediculously well, and I personally don't really see it, is the Vynals. They're pretty expensive for their size, and every different companies versions seem to sell pretty well.

EDIT: I'd really love for Disney to start selling that figure set in the stores. They offer a Printable "paper figure" set, that has a big Muppet Theater stage backdrop. The figures would make a great display with that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
For clarification, that's the Plushes of Kermit, Piggy, Beaker, Pepe and Rizzo that are out. Both of the GIANT sized are still in stock.
I'm glad whoever got me Pepe for Christmas managed to get it early enough. Like I said, hopefully the huge sales of the Muppet plush will equal more Muppet merchandise later. At the very least a restock with several new characters.

Vynalmations aren't that bad a price... not that I'd pay that. Blind box vynal figures seem to go in the upper 10-15 dollar range anyway. Kid Robot stuff especially. Too bad that they don't have sculpted vynal figures like KR's Family Guy/Futurama/Simpsons/South park lines.

Carl23

Reaction score
Kidrobot does some really cool stuff, and I wouldn't mind grabbing at least one of them just for fun it it didn't cost me as much as a full figure of whatever character i'd wind up getting.

Seeing as half of the characters made have been sold out since Nov. 23rd, and knowing DS' track record, I would be surprised if they DIDN'T add some characters. I'm still waiting for my Swedish Chef. At this point, it's the Waiting Game until new stuff starts popping up.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I ordered pepe awhile back and boy is he AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's the one thing I think we're taking for granted... we have NEVER had a general release Pepe plush until now. Even then, this blows that stupid carney one out of the water, and at probably a lot less than you'd have to blow at ring toss or a crane game to grab him up. I hear women and children can cry themselves free prizes, but I don't recommend that. But has anyone actually ever seen those Pepe plush at carnivals/arcades?

The character assortment made me pretty happy. Sure, we'd no doubt get Piggy, Kermit, Fozzie, Animal, and maybe Gonzo... but Rizzo, Beaker, the first ever Pepe, and newcomer Walter? I really hope we get more including Chef and maybe Rowlf.