The Muppets is now the top-grossing Muppet movie

Borples

Reaction score
As far as creating interest in the franchise with younger viewers, I think a lot more of that is going to come with the DVD release. I know several families who were excited about The Muppets but who haven't seen it yet, either because of the cost of taking the family to the movies, or because they have a child who is too young to go to the theater. Plus, parents may not want to drag kids to a movie that the kid is not already super-interested in (I would, but many might not. :wink: ). But those parents, esp. if they want to see The Muppets themselves, will buy the DVD. And once the DVD is in the house, the l'il rugrats are OURS. :wink: The music in the movie is catchy, and the Muppets are colorful and lovable. Repeated viewings will make fans of many kids, I am sure. I think a second movie, or tv show or special, will be very successful for that reason.

All I know is, my five year old and three year old LOVE the Muppets. And I can attribute that to one thing: constant exposure! :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
i think at best it can be called a moderate success, and that's mostly because they only spent 45 million on it. if they'd spent 100 million this would not be considered successful. and it reveals the fans to be much more people who grew up with them and knew them already, with not a whole lot of potential to reach out to kids today (who apparently love and are much more responsive to stuff like the chipmunks and smurfs over this)
Other than the horrid Twilight franchise where I'm convinced 60% of the audience was either dragged in unwillingly or watching it ironically, none of those movies released at that period did all that well domestically. Even then, there was a sharp drop off for that movie's second week as well. For an almost historically low box office, the Muppets managed to make the most of it... and even then, it beat the competition it was really up against. Though that many kids films came out in a single week kinda hurt the film's potential, it still managed to do some good. It was the number one Family movie for 3 weeks in a row, it made back its budget, and it brought back interest... and I'm sure those other kids movies made what they did because they were 3-D and therefore had higher ticket costs.

Still, for it to be a complete failure, the thing would have had to have opened much lower and disappeared within a week. Like I said, the budget's the thing. Some movies have a huge budget that never make it back until they hit DVD and are considered good enough. Why do we have a fourth Underworld movie when they were all critical and commercial flops?

zoebell

Reaction score
that's very true. and that's why the movie is undoubtedly a success overall, i just wonder if this is enough for disney to want to do more

because i sort of doubt jason segel will be as involved in another one (maybe producer or something), and he even said his goal was to relaunch them so they could then do whatever they wanted. so without someone like him as a driving force, pushing for it and everything, they'll have to make it on their own- and i wonder if this is enough to go off of

i think they were probably hoping for that 100 million mark, or to do as well as something like Enchanted did a few years ago

Drtooth

Reaction score
It does seem like enough. Like I said, films that flop randomly get sequels all the time. I wouldn't doubt Jason would be involved in the next one, but it's too soon to tell then. Muppet movies have always did their best as DVD sales anyway. Disney movies too, in fact. Only thing that held this movie back was a sluggish box office during a time when people were buying more than last year. I guess they rather went shopping instead of seeing movies. Still, Chipmunks would have creamed them (or at least held the film's potential back) if they released it just a bit later. If it wasn't for Crappy Feet, I'm sure they could have opened it up the week before and it would have made just a bit more.

Yeah, it's a shame that the film didn't reach 100 mil, but only The Muppet Movie really broke that one. Even GMC only had 89 Mil... this film's not going to surpass it unless it has a really good next week, but the kids are back in school so I doubt it.

I think Disney realizes this film did just good enough, and we will see more stuff on the horizon. And that would include another movie because, like I said, MCC only made about 52 mil... it was deemed enough to follow it up with MTI which did 11 mil better. Heck, it looked like this movie was going to end at 75 at best... but we're up over 82 by now, and that's barely a week ago.

zoebell

Reaction score
it's at 83.5 million now...does anyone know when it's getting pulled from theaters?

i'm just wondering, realistically, how much more it could take in at this point. if it's still in theaters the rest of this month, it could still do a few more million

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
it's at 83.5 million now...does anyone know when it's getting pulled from theaters?

i'm just wondering, realistically, how much more it could take in at this point. if it's still in theaters the rest of this month, it could still do a few more million
At least until right after the Blu-ray release, so early April is probably likely.

beaker

Reaction score
It could be in this economy, a lot of families are waiting for the home release.
It's already january, when will they announce what extras are on the home release?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
It could be in this economy, a lot of families are waiting for the home release.
It's already january, when will they announce what extras are on the home release?
Probably by the end of the month, or at least in February.

goldenstate5

Reaction score

I would think that its theater count will drop to three digits on Friday, but I could be wrong. One thing I know for sure is that the film has finished making big money. I see it topping now at 86 to 87 million. It'll get pulled fully just prior to its DVD/Blu-Ray release in March.

zoebell

Reaction score
is the movie going to open soon in european countries? will the muppets be making press appearances in the uk and stuff?