Anyone else tired of seeing Animal with pink hair?

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
I think the lighting has some influence as to whether we percieve his hair as pink or red. But I also think it has to do with what materials the workshop has available, right?

Muppetfan2011

Reaction score
I have a 1976 Animal muppet puppet and he's still in good condition, i did catch a few pink hilights (spelling) in his hair. i f you go to ebay or something you might get a better glance at him

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the lighting has some influence as to whether we percieve his hair as pink or red. But I also think it has to do with what materials the workshop has available, right?
His hair is layered... there's strands of Pink, darker pink, red... yeah, it's all about how it looks in the light too. I'd say a dark, almost Reddish pink would work. Too red, and he could look too much like Elmo in merchandise.

Now that I think about it, this is obviously a style guide issue. You know style guides... things that sort of kind of look like the characters that are chosen to represent them in merchandising. This has been going on for years...

look at this rare 1980's cartoon version of Animal:

He's even pink then.

beaker

Reaction score
Im tired of seeing Animal merchandise, period. He's become the Elmo of the Muppet show gang.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Im tired of seeing Animal merchandise, period. He's become the Elmo of the Muppet show gang.
I hate to say it, but I agree. He's everywhere, and I love Animal with all my heart, but he has gotten to be a bit of a fashion trend. It'd be nice if the rest of the Muppets were that widely marketed.

beaker

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I agree. He's everywhere, and I love Animal with all my heart, but he has gotten to be a bit of a fashion trend. It'd be nice if the rest of the Muppets were that widely marketed.
By the late 1990's I started to feel that way. If you look at every single Muppet merchandise since the late 80's, statistically Animal is always number two in terms of what you can expect to see.

Which is funny, as Animal isn't even a main character historically...at least not near where Rowlf and Scooter had been. It'd be like if there was too much Beaker stuff, even I'd get tired of it. I really think they need to give Carl a push and market him or other niche characters. I dont think Disney realizes how big Swedish Chef is.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There was that Christmas ornament... in fact, the ornaments started with Statler and Waldorf, had the Swedish Chef the next year, then went on to Animal, going back to Beaker, and then Fozzie. Only 2 of them are the main 5, and they weren't even the first ones in the set. If Disney thinks that strategy works for Christmas ornaments that always sell out by November, it should work for T-Shirts and plush toys and stuff.

I love Animal, but he's on EVERY clothing item ever, even out numbering the frog in chief. Why don't we have any Chef shirts is beyond me, since The Chef and Beaker were featured the most in the viral videos. Everyone loves the Chef. We should have Chef overload almost as bad as Animal does.

Of course, what confuses the heck out of me is that Pepe had a meteoric rise in the Muppets since the 00's, but there's hardly that much merchandise of him. It took us until now to get a general retail plush (seriously... what a plush it is! I love it!). I find it curious that he's only got one scene in the final movie, but he's all over the promotions. Still, I was very disappointed the Pepe shirt was for kids.

Big Mean Carl... I'd LOVE that to happen, they're trying to make him a main monster, but that's either going to take some time or barely happen at all. Carl would require a Palisades Toys like ambition to make every character possible.

beaker

Reaction score
There was that Christmas ornament... in fact, the ornaments started with Statler and Waldorf, had the Swedish Chef the next year, then went on to Animal, going back to Beaker, and then Fozzie. Only 2 of them are the main 5, and they weren't even the first ones in the set. If Disney thinks that strategy works for Christmas ornaments that always sell out by November, it should work for T-Shirts and plush toys and stuff.

I love Animal, but he's on EVERY clothing item ever, even out numbering the frog in chief. Why don't we have any Chef shirts is beyond me, since The Chef and Beaker were featured the most in the viral videos. Everyone loves the Chef. We should have Chef overload almost as bad as Animal does.

Of course, what confuses the heck out of me is that Pepe had a meteoric rise in the Muppets since the 00's, but there's hardly that much merchandise of him. It took us until now to get a general retail plush (seriously... what a plush it is! I love it!). I find it curious that he's only got one scene in the final movie, but he's all over the promotions. Still, I was very disappointed the Pepe shirt was for kids.

Big Mean Carl... I'd LOVE that to happen, they're trying to make him a main monster, but that's either going to take some time or barely happen at all. Carl would require a Palisades Toys like ambition to make every character possible.
Im just sick of the "main 5" concept of Kermit/Piggy/Gonzo/Animal/Fozzie, hence why its exciting to see Beaker, Pepe and Rizzo. I LOVED the Jack and the Box action figures. Swedish Chef, Pepe...so very cool.

But people forget that there is really no merchandise Muppet wise out now compared to 2003-2004. I mean the EM plush set by Sababa alone was amazing. And I got 7 different Beaker plush from that time period. Yeah Palisades...I have a Doglion, Mahna Mahna, Two Snowths, Thog, Lobster Bandito, Polly Lobster, MAMMA, Steel Rabbit, Koozebanian playset with Koozebane family, etc figures...who the heck could have imagined that? Thanks Ken!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah Palisades...I have a Doglion, Mahna Mahna, Two Snowths, Thog, Lobster Bandito, Polly Lobster, MAMMA, Steel Rabbit, Koozebanian playset with Koozebane family, etc figures...who the heck could have imagined that? Thanks Ken!
That was ambition. That was pure, unadulterated ambition. The figures weren't amazing sellers, and it's amazing that the line went as far as it did. We got the first toys of characters we'd never see before and maybe would never see again. Even the Schliech PVC figures didn't have such an impressive roster. And we finally got Muppets Tonight characters. Even the Fisher Price toys stopped at Kermit, Animal, Gonzo, Fozzie, Piggy, Scooter and Rowlf. We've got all this stuff with Link Hogthrob ever since the Palisades and Sideshow bust lines. Too bad we never got that Pigs in Space plush set.

If they have some long standing strategy of slowly adding things in after everything sells, good for them. But I completely think they under-estimated the license. And still... someone on a Shirt besides Animal PLEASE!