Frank Oz worked on a new Muppet movie script

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought you were a fan of the Filmation cartoon...I know I am, and it's not a bad thing at all that they travel through time and space! :smile:
Oh, I am... I just find it really funny that the Filmation cartoon had the original premise of the Ghostbuster movie, back when it was supposed to be a Dan Akroyd and John Belushi vehicle. Back before Harold Ramis was involved.

Yorick

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess the "worst thing" part of the quote confused me, but you're right, it's quite an interesting coincidence! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I should have said weirdest thing... but "worst" as in it adds to the confusion. It's just like the WEIRDEST co-incidence... unless that's what the original idea Columbia proposed before they went to DIC... but I don't think they said anything about that.

Then of course there's the Dennis the Menace fiasco. 2 different characters in 2 different countries come up with the same character name at roughly the same time...weird.

edwardsinclair

Reaction score
Filmation's "Ghostbusters" was based on a 1970s Saturday morning live action show with Larry Storch, Forrest Tucker, and a guy in a gorilla suit (called "The Ghostbusters"). However, the cartoon series was put in production AFTER the success of the Ghostbusters movie. No relation to any of Dan Ackroyd's concepts at all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Filmation's "Ghostbusters" was based on a 1970s Saturday morning live action show with Larry Storch, Forrest Tucker, and a guy in a gorilla suit (called "The Ghostbusters"). However, the cartoon series was put in production AFTER the success of the Ghostbusters movie. No relation to any of Dan Ackroyd's concepts at all.
Not quite.

Legal matters arose due to the name when the film went into production (once again, both projects were named after, and an homage to an old comedy called "Spook Busters" ). Columbia had to pay Filmation a licensing fee for the name of the movie. Filmation even tried to get Columbia to collaborate with them for an animated series, but then Columbia went another way (DIC). Lou even regretted not asking for animation rights in the settlement. So they made a cartoon based on their version of Ghost Busters while Columbia did there... hence why Columbia's version was "The Real Ghostbusters."

Yorick

Reaction score
Columbia had to pay Filmation a licensing fee for the name of the movie. Filmation even tried to get Columbia to collaborate with them for an animated series, but then Columbia went another way (DIC). Lou even regretted not asking for animation rights in the settlement. So they made a cartoon based on their version of Ghost Busters while Columbia did there... hence why Columbia's version was "The Real Ghostbusters."
Yeah, when the Columbia folks told Filmation that there would be no cartoon based on the Columbia Ghostbusters, Filmation thought, "Okay, well, we'll make a cartoon based on our Ghostbusters, then!" I'm glad they did.

Of course, we know (secretly?) the Columbia cartoon was being worked on by DIC. But I like both Filmation series, as well as the 1984 Dan Aykroyd film, and the cartoon based on it...even the season focused on Slimer! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, when the Columbia folks told Filmation that there would be no cartoon based on the Columbia Ghostbusters, Filmation thought, "Okay, well, we'll make a cartoon based on our Ghostbusters, then!" I'm glad they did.
We got 2 different but fun cartoon shows out of it. I keep feeling that if Filmation made the Columbia Ghostbusters cartoon, it would be their cartoon, but with the Columbia characters... and that wouldn't mix the right way. The Filmation Ghost Busters need the wacky ghosts and cartoony plot lines and the recurring big boss villain, Real Ghostbusters needed the science and cultural themes that were explored by Dan Akroyd since the beginning of the movie's development. 2 great shows with 2 different themes.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I wonder if Frank's script will be the one he wrote with Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl in the 80s "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever", the plot with Gonzo directing the film and going over the budget for the opening titles so the rest of the movie gets cheaper and cheaper. LOL Or if it's going to be an all new script. Either way, I can't wait. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt it was that one, and the reporters scrambled their info. If Frank Oz was currently working on a Muppet Movie Script, we'd know it. If we can hear faint rumblings of someone producing a script, we'd hear of Frank's script loud and clear.

The fact of the matter is that, even though they had the script Jason was working on, they announced Cheapest at a D23 (which the only thing they correctly predicted was a Hallmark ornament and a line of Ugly Doll type toys that didn't last long). Now, there's nothing that said that they were actually reworking that script (if one even exists)... and even if they were, they'd use the current Muppet team to punch it up, not someone who's in another state of their career. Among other things, Cheapest would have been a terrible way to relaunch the Muppets... it's too experimental a concept. It would fly after TMM, GMC, and MTM... not so much as a launching pad project.

The Muppets WAS the film that needed to be made, better or worse. Now that it did as well as it did... impressive only due to the fact the box office was weak the following weeks after the film and that several other children's films with higher budgets were released in a week and a half long period (some of those movies didn't even make worldwide what The Muppets made nationally in the first week), they can make any film they want.

Mupp

Reaction score
If nothing else, now that the film has been pretty successful, perhaps now they will be willing to try Frank's script idea for the next project.