TMS fic: Growing Together

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. One thing I forgot to mention: Janken's song can be sung more or less to the tune of There's a Fine, Fine Line from Avenue Q.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------
It IS good to finally see some actual "couple" behavior with those two! I gather that although they've considered themselves a couple for a long time, they haven't really explored what that means?

Although I have shared a snuggle with someone whom I wasn't interested in...and snuggles with significant others with nothing more than sleeping going on...I find it curious that after that deep and personal a discussion, Scooter and Janken would kiss and snuggle and...sleep? No, I don't need a graphic description; maybe these two are just less physical about expressing their feelings, and that's fine. But I would like to see them really start enjoying couplehood, now that the conversational ice has finally broken! Good for them and I hope you develop that further. :smile:

Piggy's interaction with Weird Al was hilarious. I never envisioned that song as a duet but it works! And it's good that Gonzo has decided to expose his child to the world -- now how does Camilla want to handle that?

And hooray for being yourself on a date! This seems difficult for most folk, but must be trebly so for showbiz couples, so I'm glad Kermit and Piggy both liked what they saw in the other.

I also hope Janken grows more comfy performing...music, after all, ought to be shared, and who does music better than Fraggles, right? :excited:
----------------------

Slackbot

Reaction score
Janken and Scooter have been a couple on their own terms. Neither is terribly experienced, and Janken is kind of a wembler. What they've had has suited them so far, but it looks like they're ready to move on. And, yeah, all they did was snog before sleeping. I guess when you're used to stopping there it's not a problem.

(Snog. I love that word. It's so cute and weird-sounding.)

Gonzo and Camilla have discussed Billie, believe me. Camilla isn't as protective of her as Gonzo is because she doesn't have the same background he has. She's glad that he's finally loosening up a bit.

Despite what I often say, I'm enjoying bringing Kermit and Piggy together in a way that I think is healthy and stable. They really do need to drop their masks if they're going to have a real relationship. More on that coming soon... :smile:

I don't know if Janken will ever want to take the stage. He's always had performance anxiety. He tried to be a storyteller, and quit after a single non-successful attempt. When he was following the minstrels around he never sang or played his ocarina. He wants to be a part of it, and doing the cameras lets him fulfill that ambition without making him face an audience. He never plans to be an onstage Muppet, but it's possible they might find a happy medium.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Welcome to the penultimate chapter of...

Growing Together
Part 12: Try a Little Harder for Your Friends
by Kim McFarland

Late that morning Janken arrived at the Muppet Theater. Each Monday they viewed the weekend's acts and decided which ones they would use in the TV episode, then came up with and filmed the backstage story. There were plenty of Muppets hanging around backstage, plus one tall human being. Weird Al didn't need to come for the first part, but he was enjoying being around the Muppets, and they welcomed him.

Janken crossed the stage and switched on the camera console, and while that was warming up he went out to the auditorium. A drop cloth hung from a board was suspended in front of the curtains. Good. Janken went back to his console, flicked some switches, started a playback, then walked out again. The opening theme, as performed on Friday, was playing on the drop cloth. He went back to the console and turned the playback off.

Soon the other Muppets began coming over to backstage left to watch the playbacks on the monitors. Kermit asked Janken, "Is it set up?"

Janken replied, "Yes. I just tested it."

"Good." He raised his voice and spoke to the rhubarbing Muppets. "Everyone. Hey, everyone! We're going to try something different. Let's go to the seats."

Everyone went out the side of the stage and to the audience. Then they saw the makeshift screen, and guessed what was going on. Kermit sat on the rim of the orchestra pit facing the other Muppets and said, "Hi ho, everybody, and welcome to the rushes for episode 201 of The Muppet Show. We'll be doing this the same way as before, except we'll see it on a screen instead of all crowding around the monitors backstage. So let's get started!"

Janken had one camera trained on the front of the audience. He wasn't recording; he had it set that way so Kermit could give him directions without shouting himself hoarse. Scooter's headset didn't come close to fitting Kermit. He started the playback for the Friday opening welcome and the first song, I Will Comply.

The Muppets in the auditorium watched that, and then the other two nights' versions. It was pretty clear that Saturday's take was the most popular, thanks to Sweetums' assistance. Kermit made a note on the checklist that Scooter had left for him, then looked up and said, "Okay, next."

They ran through the acts fairly quickly. They rarely had to debate which takes were best to use on television. Good or bad, whichever was most entertaining was the one they would use. Still, to go through three shows' worth of skits and songs did take time.

They were about midway through when Janken was grabbed from behind in a stealth hug. Janken yiped, then when he saw that his assailant had orange hands and green sleeves he leaned back and pressed his cheek to Scooter's. "How'd you do?"

"Great!" Scooter replied. "I aced it, no problem."

"I knew you would."

They kissed for a moment. Then Janken had to start the next playback, and Scooter grabbed his headset and went out to the auditorium. He sat on the side of Kermit that hadn't been claimed by Miss Piggy and asked, "How's it going?"

Kermit handed Scooter the clipboard with the checklist. "Pretty well. People pay more attention when they can see the acts this way. It's going faster. Good idea, Scooter."

"Thanks, boss."

The second playback of The Judgment of Solomon finished. There had not been much difference in the reactions between the two. Which wasn't surprising, as there wasn't much difference between the acts. Kermit stood and said, "Okay, first one or second one?"

Over the general murmur Clifford said "Toss a coin."

"Anyone have an opinion?" Apparently nobody did. Kermit said, "All right, the first one." Scooter made a note, then said into his headset's mouthpiece, "Next."

"Do I have to?" Janken replied, but he had already started the playback of the jug band number.

The three takes were musically almost identical, but Janken's nervously wriggling tail, which the other Muppets found hilarious, tipped the balance for the first one. He hadn't been quite as frightened the second and third time. He could see now that the act was pretty good, but he still cringed when he watched it because he remembered how frightened he had been.

Eventually they had gotten through all the acts. Janken came out from backstage and sat beside Scooter. Kermit perched on the edge of the pit again and said, "Now that we've got the acts, let's have thoughts on backstage stuff."

"Moi has a few little notions," Miss Piggy said.

"Do tell."

"Moi hears that Monsieur Yankovic has asked to do a love song with Moi. Moi, of course, accepts, assuming him to be a man of devastating good looks and taste. Moi does not see him until the number itself. That will lead into the song turning into a fight, ending in an, ahem, reconciliation."

There were chuckles. "Where does she come up with these ideas?" Pepe said behind two of his hands.

Kermit nodded. "All right, that's a starter. What else?"

Rowlf remarked, "The jug band. Janken's the odd man out there. Maybe something showing him getting pulled in at the last minute? And, you know, we could bring him in as a backstage character."

Scooter began, "I don't think-"

Janken spoke up, surprising Scooter. "Um, I really don't want to be in the show itself. I get the worst case of stage fright. But I think I could do backstage stuff if you need me to, since it's just cameras. Those I can deal with."

Kermit said, "All right. Now, what else?"

The Muppets threw ideas around for a few minutes. Then of their own accord they formed little clusters, hammering their ideas out into workable skits. Weird Al was at the intersection of several clusters, throwing in his ideas as well. Quietly Scooter said, "Jan, you sure you want to do a backstage skit?"

"Well, no, I'm not sure. Sort of. I'm nervous. But I think I can do it. I want to try, at least."

"All right. Why don't we do it now? Nobody else'll be ready to film for a while."

"Okay."

The two went to the backstage left area. Janken set up one of the portable cameras they used for the backstage scenes and checked the framing, then said, "Okay. Um..what should I say?"

Scooter took off his headset and said, "Let's just ad-lib it. Play it like it happened, but for laughs."

"Okay."

"Turn on the camera and let's go."

Janken tapped a few buttons, then said, "Recording." He started pretending to mess with the console.

Scooter rushed into frame. "Janken, the jug player didn't show up! I need you to fill in for him!"

Janken said, "Me? But I don't go onstage! I work the cameras!"

"There's a first time for everything. Here's the costume." Scooter held out a hat and vest.

"But..." Janken froze, drymouthed.

"Cut," Scooter said.

Janken tapped a button to stop the recording and said apologetically, "Sorry, I'm no good at this."

"Don't worry. Let's try it again."

They did, and this time Janken began stammering. After Scooter called "Cut" again Janken said unhappily, "Maybe this isn't a good idea. I belong on the other side of the camera."

Miss Piggy, standing in the wings, said, "Moi has an idea. Start again, and I'll come in."

"All right," Scooter said. He told Janken, "Third time's the charm."

Janken wasn't so sure. Screwing up in front of Scooter wasn't fun, but screwing up in front of Miss Piggy would be humiliating. But he didn't dare say no to her. He took a few deep breaths to regain his composure—he had to look calm at the beginning of the scene—then said, "Okay," and pressed the button.

Scooter rushed into frame. "Janken, the jug player didn't show up! I need you to fill in for him!"

Janken said, "Me? But I don't go onstage! I work the cameras!"

"There's a first time for everything, and nobody else can play the jug. Here's the costume." Scooter held out a hat and vest.

"But..."

Miss Piggy entered the scene. She said gently to Janken, "Now, dear, I know how nervous you must be, going in front of all those people on short notice."

He gulped and nodded silently.

"There there," she said sweetly as she patted his back. "It may be a little scary onstage, but-" she grabbed him by the collar with both hands and hauled him out of his chair, then snarled point-blank into his face, "-if you don't get your purple behind out there it's going to get a lot scarier back here!"

Wide-eyed, Janken whimpered to Scooter, "Gimme the costume!"

Brightly Scooter said "Here ya go."

Miss Piggy released Janken, who scampered off, threading his arms into the vest. Miss Piggy brushed her hair back and said, "Sometimes actors just need to understand their motivation," before making her exit.

Janken came back and tapped the button to shut off the camera. Scooter said, "Let's see how that looked."

Miss Piggy, Scooter, and Janken watched the scene. Even Janken had to grin when Miss Piggy threatened him. He looked utterly terrified. When it finished Scooter said, "I think it's a keeper."

"Moi aussi."

Janken nodded. It was good, and that meant he wouldn't have to do it again. "Thanks, Miss Piggy. I needed that."

She smiled at him. "Think of it as a lesson in method acting. And now I must steal Scooter away from you. Don't worry, I'll give him back when I'm finished with him."

Scooter flashed Janken a look of mock fear as he put on his headset, then grinned. Janken smiled as Scooter walked off with Miss Piggy, who was already describing the scene she had in mind. If it had been up to Janken, he would have given up after the first take. But Scooter and Miss Piggy had made him stick with it, simply assuming that he could do it. And, somehow, they had been right. Janken thought that if he didn't have much faith in himself, he would have faith in his friends.

All characters except Janken and Weird Al Yankovic are copyright © The Muppets Studio, LLC. Weird Al Yankovic is, of course, copyright © himself. All copyrighted characters and people are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Janken is copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com), as is the overall story. Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... That's good writing. Not only working in the title of a Fraggle song into the chapter, but the end sentiment by the one Fraggle in this story. It harkens back to pointers other people have echoed in when working with Jim, that he encouraged you to do your best. And if you were nervous or afraid to do it, he'd give you a little nudge confident that you'd be able to do it, so that if you didn't have faith in yourself you'd have faith in others having faith in you instead.

Thanks, post more when you can. :jim:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, Count. I was thinking of that very thing when I planned out the scene with Piggy, Scooter, and Janken. Jan's one of those people who needs to be pushed, and Muppets certainly are pushy enough. :wink:

I was wondering, did Janken's discussion of friendship/love in the previous chapter make sense? I don't know if it was clear or if I cut it too short. I didn't want it to read like a lecture.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, not sure. Maybe others can chime in on that? :confused:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------
Lovely! The notion of them actually filming these things, rather than just setting a camera up and catching it all candidly, is entertaining in itself. A group consensus is exactly what Jim would've done, from what I've read about how he worked with the other Muppeteers, so good call.

Piggy "motivating" Janken is funny as heck...and it's nice that he feels comfortable enough around the Muppets to get into the spirit of the show. Good for him! Being able to look wryly at one's own mistakes and embarrassing moments is vastly important for one's own ego -- especially when there are people around laughing without making the person feel smaller. Bravo.

And yes...the friendship/love as done by Fraggles made sense to me, at least. :news:
-------------------

Puckrox

Reaction score
Good bit! I love the idea that the Muppets film their onstage show first and then work out the backstage plot. :big_grin:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Piggy "motivating" Janken is funny as heck...and it's nice that he feels comfortable enough around the Muppets to get into the spirit of the show. Good for him! Being able to look wryly at one's own mistakes and embarrassing moments is vastly important for one's own ego -- especially when there are people around laughing without making the person feel smaller. Bravo.
Heh, thanks, that's something I was going for. The Muppets are used to chaos, foul-ups, SNAFUs, and the like. If the messups are entertaining, it's all good. Fozzie is very aware of this, which is why (as of my stories) he welcomes Statler and Waldorf's (and Jack Black's) heckling. It may frustrate him, but if the audience laughs then he's happy.
And yes...the friendship/love as done by Fraggles made sense to me, at least. :news:
Whew, good. I was afraid Jan was getting too tongue-tied. Ever see a Fraggle with his tongue tied up? It's a sad sight.
Good bit! I love the idea that the Muppets film their onstage show first and then work out the backstage plot. :big_grin:
Thankee! I figure that would be the easiest thing for them, since owing to the chaotic nature of the show, they are never sure how the acts will go off. Might as well write the story to play off all the little incidents rather than try to arrange SNAFUs to fit a story, eh?

And here's a little clip for the next chapter. I'm hoping that somebody will get this gag...

There was general laughter. Kermit said, "And let's welcome Janken. He's been a Muppet since he joined us last year, but as of now he's an onscreen cast member."​

The other Muppets applauded and cheered for Janken. Gonzo started tapping his soda can on his chair arm and chanting, "We accept him, one of us! We accept him, one of us!"​

The chant quickly spread. "Gooble gobble, gooble gobble, we accept him, we accept him, one of us, one of us!"​

Janken's blush had turned his face maroon. He stood and faced the rest of the Muppets, who were laughing and chanting. He was nervous, but told himself to fight it back. They were his friends. He had seen the movie they were quoting, and knew the proper response. He shouted in mock outrage, "You dirty...slimy...Muppets!"