HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Suburgatory is really good, too. The main character isn't a dumb bimbo, and I enjoy her snarky attitude. Plus, it was created by the same person who created As Told By Ginger (another criminally under-appreciated show), so I kind of get those same vibes watching it.
When I saw the promos for Suburgatory, I thought finally something different, and it did look good at first, I like that for once in a long time they used a relatively unknown for the lead as opposed to just giving it to some big-name celebrity for the sake of trying to reel in an audience... then I saw the box of condoms, and said well that's it, so much for something different.
Golden Age nothing... look at Seinfeld. That's regarded as one of the best sitcoms of all time, and it was on the cancellation block many times. They just managed to give it a chance. Even look at Family Guy... Fox canceled that twice before it became their cash cow.
I'm not talking about the 90s, I'm talking about the 60s and 70s.
I don't like regression... I don't think everything should be sex and soft core... but once the cat's out of the bag, it's hard to let it back in. I also RULLY hate people saying "make stuff the way you used to again" because, who are we kidding? They'd find a way to screw that up on some level. No greater example of trying to regain a former glory and failing is ABC's 00's Sitcom line up. They were trying WAAAAAY too hard to go back to the 80's/90's glory days of TGIF and Home Improvement and Full House type family shows. And what did we get? According to Jim? My Wife and Kids? Hope and Faith? The three unfunniest shows on the planet. I uh... ashamedly admit I dig George Lopez... at least he had some good play with his mother character.

The thing is, try as you might, it's very hard to recapture the lightning in a bottle of a classic show. I see it this way... you either wind up with something completely different and unlikable or something exactly the same and a retread. I defy someone to say that if they made a new Animaniacs with the same voice actors, writers, producers... everything to the smallest detail that they'd love it just the same and not say that the quality is gone on some level.
I'm not talking about trying to recreate what was once before to every last little detail, I'm talking about at least trying recapture the essence of what was one before... I don't think of it as regression, that's really not it at all, it's just taking a chance on something different... that's exactly the attitude Lord Grade had towards TMS, just taking a chance on something different. You know, like, you want to get into animation, right? But haven't you said that you find it discouraging that most people automatically knock new cartoons because they're new? It's all about taking a chance on something different... while I'm not getting into animation, I'mstill trying to branch out from miniscule YouTube videos and into television, and just like I'm sure you do, all I want is to be given a chance with something different, and I'm sure there's others out there who feel the same way.

Xerus

Reaction score
Which is why I prefer to put my creations on the internet where my creativity isn't network controlled.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Which is why I prefer to put my creations on the internet where my creativity isn't network controlled.
Well even with the internet you've got problems, namely a limited audience, as there's a surprising large amount of people out there who don't have regular access to the internet, either because they can't afford it, they don't live in an are where they can get a reliable connection, or they're just not computer-savvy... whereas just about everybody has basic television. Plus, independence does help, granted it too has a lot of downfalls, especially when it comes to finances, but independence is a better way to ensure what you create remains yours.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I knew "Work It" wouldn't work. Neither the commercials nor the show were funny. Period. Anything can be made funny by funny writers so the drag element had nothing to do with its failure. That's a cop-out. Many of the "Bosom Buddies" episodes still hold up as being funny today.

The LGBT community in San Francisco really wasn't even aware of the show in the first place! I did notice and read about the GLAAD's knee-jerk reaction to the premise. There are many trans-gendered people fighting for acceptance within their gay peers. Their social progression is about where gay rights were in the 70's. Their lives have yet to be adequately explored in the world of film and television. "Transamerica" was a good first effort, but just a glimpse. In the end it's not about agreeing about the lives of others. It's about understanding, acceptance and tolerance of others. While I understand GLAAD's objection, it just seemed heavy-handed.

"Work It" had talented actors and a powerhouse network behind it, yet no humor or imagination from the writers or producers. That's why it failed and I'm very glad it did. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not talking about trying to recreate what was once before to every last little detail, I'm talking about at least trying recapture the essence of what was one before...

Essence is lightning in a bottle. The harder you try to capture it, the more you lose it. I'd rather watch something from the 60's and 70's than something trying way too hard to be just like it. Plus, frankly, I've always HATED the Brady Bunch. I understand the camp value. I love Lucy, The Dick VanDyke show, Get Smart... high quality and examples of the golden age, all.

Maybe what makes those shows special IS that they don't make them like that anymore. If they did, they'd blend in like everything else.

Still, I hate when people confuse quality for matter of taste. I don't think Friends is a bad show, but I hate it. I find Will and Grace completly overrated and underfunny, but I understand for whatever reason it was popular. There are things that aren't my cup of tea, and I dislike them, but I can't bring myself to call them "bad." Glee for example. Universal bad is what I strive to look for. Something that's unappealing on every level. I don't find that with most modern sitcoms. Quite the opposite. I think some really found their stride and their niche. But Whitney is bad on every level... critics who pretended to find it fresh and funny because it was about a "realistic" couple flip flopped when they realized how stale the jokes are. The viewership has been steadily dropping.

Still, I respect even a BAD scripted TV show for hiring union writers, and not that sweatshop that reality TV is.

Moreover, I guess I've read internet comments one time too many. Half the comments are just "Stop sucking." Like I said before, we can't have character revivals because they're never as good, we can't have new things because new things are never good... some of us get awfully sick of just having old things to watch, and we're aching for something new.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I never double post to quote, but this came out just as I finished...

I knew "Work It" wouldn't work. Neither the commercials nor the show were funny. Period. Anything can be made funny by funny writers so the drag element had nothing to do with its failure. That's a cop-out. Many of the "Bosom Buddies" episodes still hold up as being funny today.

The LGBT community in San Francisco really wasn't even aware of the show in the first place! I did notice and read about the GLAAD's knee-jerk reaction to the premise. There are many trans-gendered people fighting for acceptance within their gay peers. Their social progression is about where gay rights were in the 70's. Their lives have yet to be adequately explored in the world of film and television. "Transamerica" was a good first effort, but just a glimpse. In the end it's not about agreeing about the lives of others. It's about understanding, acceptance and tolerance of others. While I understand GLAAD's objection, it just seemed heavy-handed.

"Work It" had talented actors and a powerhouse network behind it, yet no humor or imagination from the writers or producers. That's why it failed and I'm very glad it did. :wink:
I must add... I find it hilarious that a Transgendered voice actress went completely unnoticed, especially since she was the voice of Meowth on Pokemon. You'd think some religious organization would have been up in arms about it, but it was so low key that no one said a thing. Too bad she's gone now... she was very talented.

Work it worked (or should have) on the premise of how stupid the job market is. We can whine about Recessions and new normals and all that, but what it comes down to is nepotism, the Catch 22 Experience beast, and just sheer idiocy from employers that get everyone to jump through hoops while bending over backwards only to wind up hiring some moron that they know. I've been screwed out of crummy start up jobs only to find complete dimwits bumbling about. Why do we need video resumes narrated by James Earl Jones and 5 years experience just to get a temp typing job? And why are they so hesitant to hire long term workers because they have to pay benefits, but hesitant to hire temp workers because they'll move on?

That stuff ALONE is ripe for satire. There's plenty of Pointy Haired Boss/Catbert the Evil Director of HR type humor in the situation that doesn't even need dressing in drag as a premise. I mean, I'd LOVE for someone to comment on how you have to have a complete background check to work behind a counter at Starbucks, yet all these kid's coaches come out as sex offenders. There's just so much braindead, drooling insanity that's keeping the unemployment rate up without the political/economic factors. And I bet Work it just did "My mascara's running" jokes.

The Middle made the biggest and boldest comment on the state of employment today. The head of the household, Mike Heck, was unceremoniously fired
from a long time job, and was having huge problems trying to find work (especially the inconsistencies of those imbecilic interviews) and his dumb son Axel says he got work because someone posted a message on his facebook wall saying "Dude, you want this job?" and he answered "Whatever." They didn't need to make a series about it to comment on like... well, there's no word for something as idiotic as employers today.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I had high hopes for "Whitney" because I like the actress, but the show is so bad. It's a younger "Mad About You" but without the small fraction of funny that show had in it's first couple of seasons.On the other hand, "Chelsea" looks like it could be good.

"Suburgatory" is a solid B effort of a show. It's enjoyable even though I'd hoped it would be better. I don't know what a box of condoms has to do with the quality of a program. I mean it's not like we're in "Leave It To Beaver" land anymore. The show reflects the times and an affluent suburban culture and is usually amusing in doing so. Fantastic cast too!

So far "The Firm" has disappointed me. It doesn't have the rhythm or pace of the film nor does it have the plot or character development of "Murder One" or a slew of other, older legal thrillers. Maybe it will get better. They've dumbed down so much of the law that they've made the lawyers seem ignorant in discovering legal precedent that any casual "Law & Order" viewer already understands. It doesn't bode well when the audience seems smarter than the lawyers.

"Grim" and "Once Upon a Time" just aren't clicking for me either. They come off as over-produced versions of 90's SciFi Channel concepts.

Good television just isn't being made anymore. I've even caught myself watching "Harry's Law" and wondering why it's still on the air while the largely superior "Boston Legal" was canceled years ago. I love Kathy Bates. She deserves better.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I actually like what I've seen of Supernatural; it's reminiscent of the kind of humor Buffy was known for.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I actually like what I've seen of Supernatural; it's reminiscent of the kind of humor Buffy was known for.
Supernatural is actually a really good series. It's tongue-in-cheek. The first few episodes aren't the best, but it gets much, much better and by the second season it just starts booming. Mix Buffy and X-Files and you kinda sorta get an idea of what Supernatural is. Definitely worth a NetFlix.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Supernatural is actually a really good series. It's tongue-in-cheek. The first few episodes aren't the best, but it gets much, much better and by the second season it just starts booming. Mix Buffy and X-Files and you kinda sorta get an idea of what Supernatural is. Definitely worth a NetFlix.
Gotcha, thanks for the tip, it is important to know exactly when a series got its stride going.