Days Before Chromakey

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A lot of visual effects done for puppetry nowadays are done with greenscreen/bluescreen/chromakey, in fact, chromakey is pretty much the norm for a lot of visual effects anymore because of how cheap it is... however, chomakey may be cost-cutting, but anymore, it also LOOKS cheap, even in big-budget movies, the use of chromakey is very noticable, that was one of the minor quibbles I had with The Muppets was the heavy reliance on chromakey for a lot of the visual effects and full-bodied puppetry.

I know the use of chromakey was starting to see more practice back in the 60s and 70s, especially with more of the magical sitcoms like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, but I have been curious as to what kind of methods were utilized for some of the earlier Muppet effects, such as like full-bodied performances in GMC, before chromakey became the norm? I'm certain a few of those were achieved with remote-operated Muppets, but some of them you can tell were performed by hand.

Walter

Reaction score
Well, in live puppetry they often rely on paper backdrops with 3d elements, for example, a beach with an ocean cutaway that has a scrim behind it, and then a bright blue lighted sheet moving behind by puppeteers to give the illusion of movement..

But on to muppet effects, things like holes in the wall, careful camera angeling, use of mirrors (for one famous kermit sketch) as well as holes in the seats(how they do talkshows nowadays) I believe it was in The Muppet Movie(correct me if I'm wrong!) where the shadow of Jim's arm is visible, depsite being obscured by camera angle..

And who can forget the famous Bike riding scene, achieved using life-size marionetteson a moving suspended controller..

And yeah, there were a few heavy blue screen scenes in the movie..most notably gonzo's falling scene.. But it wasn't all cheap, The whole scene in paris was done on blue screen and looked amazing! not to mention this effect:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
cant remember the proper term but i do know way back when and even today something they film on a black back ground while the performers wear all black then super impose the foreground and side backgrounds or just hide...like when Kermit Danced with Gene Kelly

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
cant remember the proper term but i do know way back when and even today something they film on a black back ground while the performers wear all black then super impose the foreground and side backgrounds or just hide...like when Kermit Danced with Gene Kelly
Yea, someone was telling me about that once. They were referencing "Labyrinth" with those starnge bird things. They were talking about how the puppeteers dressed in black velevet against a similar background. But, and forgive my ignorance, isn't that just the same basic principle as chroma key?

Love the picture Walter.

Walter

Reaction score
Yea, someone was telling me about that once. They were referencing "Labyrinth" with those starnge bird things. They were talking about how the puppeteers dressed in black velevet against a similar background. But, and forgive my ignorance, isn't that just the same basic principle as chroma key?

Love the picture Walter.
Thanks :smile:, And as for the black background.Yeah, it is kinda like chromakey..It sounds alot like Pepper's Ghost as well..

charlie bird

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I know that the center for puppetry arts does the whole Czech Black puppetry illusion.Does annyone know how I could even attept to build this lighting rig.I am going to highschool next year,and I have built so many puppets and costumes for the highschool already.I just wish that I could pull of this lighting tenieque.
anny advice would be great,
THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Walter

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I know that the center for puppetry arts does the whole Czech Black puppetry illusion.Does annyone know how I could even attept to build this lighting rig.I am going to highschool next year,and I have built so many puppets and costumes for the highschool already.I just wish that I could pull of this lighting tenieque.
anny advice would be great,
THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Hmm.. I'm not sure how to do it best..Do you live near the center? if so, You can go there and ask them..The staff I have seen there would be happy to answer all your questions :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What about this: I remember when I took video production courses in middle school, we were able to use this kind of visual effect where on-camera, certain things could be "erased"... like for example, suppose you walk on camera, but everything below your neck is "erased", thus making it look like you're just a floating head? Anyone know whatI'm talking about, or what this technique is called?

I think something like that could have some benefits, like maybe when shooting a puppet and a human together, and perhaps like the puppet is looking over the human's shoulder, but the puppeteer can't quite exactly completely hide him/herself.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
What about this: I remember when I took video production courses in middle school, we were able to use this kind of visual effect where on-camera, certain things could be "erased"... like for example, suppose you walk on camera, but everything below your neck is "erased", thus making it look like you're just a floating head? Anyone know whatI'm talking about, or what this technique is called?

I think something like that could have some benefits, like maybe when shooting a puppet and a human together, and perhaps like the puppet is looking over the human's shoulder, but the puppeteer can't quite exactly completely hide him/herself.
I don't know what that technique is called but it sounds wonderful. I could see a lot of applications for that which chroma key wouldn't be able to cover.

charlie bird

Reaction score
Hmm.. I'm not sure how to do it best..Do you live near the center? if so, You can go there and ask them..The staff I have seen there would be happy to answer all your questions :smile:
Well, I don't live too far away from the center. I am so happy that it is only an hour away. I heard that the center would be expanding their Jim Henson collection sometime in 2012...which might be the perfect excuse to visit! Also I know that a lot of places are kind of secretive on their effects...plus I'm 14 and no one takes me seriously until they see my puppet skills...hmm also the perfect time to show off a new puppet. I am a shy person, so I might as well try to email them prior to showing up. Thank you for the advice :smile:!