What improvements would you have made to The Muppets Film 2012 (spoilers)

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I would have loved to have them do like it could be for the dvd a special like 30 minute mini muppets movie and show the actul wedding of kermit and piggy and gary and mary

Drtooth

Reaction score
-Tex's rap is totally unnecessary and not that funny
In the manner of which it was presented in the final film, yes. The original intent? No.

We all know this by now, but Tex was supposed to give his backstory during the number, but it was cut (because 2 minutes would have just KILLED the flow of the movie :rolleyes: ). Now, if that scene was in the final film, and the rap did what it was supposed to do, it would have worked. It seemed strange and a little too short the way it came out.

i personally feel they should have increased the running time to 72 days...with an intermission of course! Now, that may sound like a random amount of time BUT I have precisely calculated exactly the amount of screentime I would like to see all the characters to have and that is the exact length I would have liked to see*
Like I said... we need MORE movie! :zany:

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I, like everyone else here, enjoyed the film lots and agree that it was the best of the post-Jim Muppet era. And while there were some things I would have loved to have been added in or explored, the movie was still enjoyable the way it turned out in the end. Because trust me, the movie would have been REALLY bad if...

-It was all in CGI, with the Muppets voiced by people other than the Muppeteers, and Muppets Studio having nothing to do with it whatsoever.

-It was another literary adaptation movie like MCC, MTI, and MWO

-Mary acted like a selfish, whiny, manipulative brat who would get back at Gary for forgetting their anniversary by attempting to jump off a cliff

-The movie was geared towards kids rather than all ages

-The Muppets sparkled in sunlight

-The movie was done entirely with sock puppets posing as Muppet characters

-The characters rapped, swore, did drugs, and other un-Muppety things, giving it a PG-13 rating

-They stuck with the original plot from the early drafts about Gary being a ventriloquist and Walter as his dummy

-Kim Kardashian (why is she famous, exactly?) made a cameo...more than once

-The movie was sped-up real fast, with everyone sounding like Chipmunks

-Tommy Wisseau produced, directed and wrote the film, and starred as Gary ("You're teaaaarrrrrrring me apart, Mary!", "What a story, frog! Ha-ha-ha!", "Oh hai, doggy! I would like to buy these flowers. Thank you. Please. Goodbye!")

Drtooth

Reaction score
-It was another literary adaptation movie like MCC, MTI, and MWO
Of all the other reasons, this one shone the brightest. I really do like MCC and MTI (I've complained enough about MWO for you to know the reasons), but it would have been a terrible idea to relaunch the franchise on a gimmick, rather than the more organic "getting the gang back together" plot line. That said, what made MCC and MTI good was Jerry Juhl's writing. MWO was a humongous mess of a told too often story, poor casting decisions, and just over all trying too hard to get the wrong demographics, where VMX was lightning in a bottle for the older, hipster crowd.

Even then, MCC and MTI were both cases of playing it safe as far as Kermit was involved. They were both the first major projects past Jim, and they were pretty wishy washy about how the classic characters would fit in... especially MCC. At least with MTI, they made up for it with new characters.

If they did another classic retelling, I'd see it, sure... but I wouldn't be as excited about it. And I'd fear that if they launched the franchise back on that sort of mode, we'd ONLY get classic retellings. So in retrospect, it's good that MWO was the Batman and Robin of the franchise. If it was successful on any level, we'd just get more like it.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I didn't like Sarah Silverman's cameo. I hate her, so it kind of tainted the film for me. I mean it's a friggin' family movie, why have a cameo by a person known almost exclusively for R-rated material? It'd be like having Richard Pryor make a cameo in the original Muppet movie, it would... oh wait, he was in the original Muppet movie:oops::wink:.

Gonzo seemed to get shafted in the 2nd half of the film, with few lines and screen time, and although he isn't my favorite Muppet, given his prominence throughout the franchise it seems bizarre that he had a relatively small part in the new film. I liked it, but I still wish we would've seen a little less of Gary, Mary, & Walter in favor of the regular Muppets. I think it was kind of a tough situation; the studio knew they had to have major HUMAN stars (as opposed to TMM, where the Muppets are the main stars) in order to do well at the box office, but some Muppet fans who could care less about Jason Segal and Amy Adams were disappointed that they took screen time away from the Muppets.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I didn't like Sarah Silverman's cameo. I hate her, so it kind of tainted the film for me. I mean it's a friggin' family movie, why have a cameo by a person known almost exclusively for R-rated material? It'd be like having Richard Pryor make a cameo in the original Muppet movie, it would... oh wait, he was in the original Muppet movie:oops::wink:.
Only difference is one of those people was actually funny. I'll let you decide which. :wink:

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
-Tommy Wisseau produced, directed and wrote the film, and starred as Gary ("You're teaaaarrrrrrring me apart, Mary!", "What a story, frog! Ha-ha-ha!", "Oh hai, doggy! I would like to buy these flowers. Thank you. Please. Goodbye!")
Just have to say, I saw "The Room" performed live at the AFI Theater near D.C. My brother and his friends watch that movie all the time, so for my brother's bachelor party we took him to see a live performance and he got to go on stage with Tommy during the party scene.

Seeing "The Room" live was something that is impossible to forget. Haha. Great time. Tommy started going nuts at near the end throwing the furniture all over the place. The owner of the theater came in and was none too pleased.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't like Sarah Silverman's cameo. I hate her, so it kind of tainted the film for me. I mean it's a friggin' family movie, why have a cameo by a person known almost exclusively for R-rated material?

Even if I really hated her (I'm indifferent), I wouldn't begrudge a cameo to someone who genuinely loves the Muppets. I WOULD begrudge a forced cameo based on a pun (Kelly Osborne in MWO) or... well... half the sad song cameos we got in MFS, particularly Rob Schneider. He was useless in that movie. He's useless everywhere! Why the heck does he have a sitcom?

If I were Sarah, I'd be a little disappointed I didn't get a scene with a Muppet in it. Of the things that bugged me about VMX is that William H Macy (whom I simply adore as an actor) only had that one scene, and there wasn't even so much as a Muppet Angel by his side. I hope to see WHM in another Muppet movie or project, preferably one where he actually works directly with them.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Okay, I've got one.

Why was it not Rizzo (in a tux) on the phones at the theater ordering that pizza with extra ham? As much as I LOVE the randomness of the dog calling it (Baskerville? Just some random hound? I'm not too sure) and although I always laugh out loud at that bizzare moment, I would have loved to see Rizzo have a line...and it was already about food, and I can totally see him miss-using the pledge-phones for his own devices...being a rat and all...

I can only think that they decided not to use him at all, because to use him a little would more obviously show up the fact that he was otherwise totally missing?

I've heard the expression, "There were too many moving pieces" used in reference to keeping all the characters in play in a movie, and I guess that throwing Rizzo in at all would have added him as another moving piece...still, lost opportunity in my opinion.