Meeting Steve Whitmire and Eric Jacobson. (A Day I'll Never forget)

KingR76

Reaction score
Let me set the scene, the last few weeks have been nutty here financially, have had no internet access and was only able to access my emails on a cheap mobile, I'd gone to the local library and looked on here and found out that the Muppets would be on the Chris Moyles show, I thanked Yoda that I knew about this and thought, "How am I going to get to London." so managed to borrow £20 from a Friend and on Friday I went up to London.

The weather was nice and I held my excitement in good stead.

After an hour or so Eric turned up and I must say that he was rather surprised when I A. Recognised him and B. Asked for his Autograph. To be fair some people just do a quick ineligble signature thats reminiscent of Egyptian Hieroglyphs Mr. Jacobson asked my name and not just got a personalised Autograph but he put:

"Kissy Kissy, Miss Piggy" :smile:

Shortly after this Steve turned up in his transport and like Eric before him he was rather surprised when I A. Recognised him. He was really Lovely and wanted very much to oblige but was rapidly ushered in by his p.a.s and other Disney staff (some of which were pulling in interestingly large waterproof containers large oblong carrycases that to the untrained eye would make someone think that something... Or SOMEONE was inside it could have been the Axe that the late Jimi Hendrix last performed with due to the care it was shown, but this wasnt some guitar, it was obvious who was inside the three different cases) I'd got my little radio out so I could hear the occupants of aforementioned containers on the Radio and found myself smiling at Kermit and Fozzies cameraderie with Chris Moyles... And then, to save the best for last Miss Piggy chose to grace the airwaves in the only way she knows how.

I had the feeling that Steve had been doing Kermit quite a lot as his voice seemed in need of tlc.

There were one or two other people outside with me but they didnt know what Steve or Eric looked like and actually expected Steve and Eric to walk in with Kermit and Miss Piggy on their arms - the only other person who seemed to be a big a Muppet Fan as I was the dj Chris Moyles himself, we had a little chat when he came out for breaks about "Whatnots" and said to the others that the Performers wouldnt come out with the Muppets due to how valuable they are and he looked at me and said "You know exactly what I mean."

The paparazzi had turned up and took their positions and they also had no idea who they were looking for, I couldnt help but think "Good grief."

And then Steve appeared and he recognised me instantly from before and asked what he would like me to Sign (I had Muppet Show Series 1 - NTSC Boxset so its the Kermit cover with his collar) Fraggle Rock complete boxset and Of Muppets and Men (Book) I chose to ask him to sign the first season, he then signed for a few other people and obliged without hesitation when someone said "Can you do Kermit?" and he said something as Kermit, after signing for the others he returned to me and signed Fraggle Rock boxset and then Of Muppets and Men at that point I took out my camera and he posed for a picture (even now this pangs me to say it you'll see why in a minute)

Around this time

By this time most of the paparazzi and the others had gone to Erics car to get Photos or Autographs.

I said "Bye" to Steve (a REALLY nice Guy) and we hugged, it wasnt just a guy/guy hug, no, it was something much more than that, it was a hug of gratitude, of admiration, of appreciation and of him doing a brilliant job at keeping Kermit alive and keeping the Spirit of Jim Henson alive (most would think I was a sentimental old fool if they heard me saying this but I meant it) we had one last hand shake.

On the way back to the station with my precious Treasures signed and Memories that will never leave me I took my iphone out to check what I'd taken that of Steve and I posing... And thats when it happened.... The file somehow got deleted - I cannot tell you how I felt and for the last few days I have beaten myself up over it.

When I got back home I put Kermit on my arm and spoke to him and how upset I was at losing this picture and found myself rather comforted talking to him.

I hope that I'll get the chance to meet Steve again as hes so Lovely.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, what a neat encounter. So glad you got to hang around and meet them both. Sorry about your picture, though. :frown:

Misskermie

Reaction score
OMGONZO! YOU MET MY FAVORITE MUPPET PERFORMERS! IWISH I WAS THERE!

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
What a beautiful story! I am very envious of you right now, even with the lost picture (my guess is: it didn't get "stored" or "saved" right away, so was automatically deleted, happens on my Grammas phone - and my old one - all the time). I'm sure if we EVER figure out where to send fan mail, Mr. Whitmire would be happy to oblige you with an autographed photo, and possibly a heads-up for the next time he and Kermit are in your neck of the woods.

Again, great story! Thanks so much for sharing. Cheers,
:smile:
Anthony

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Great story. I was wandering if many fans turned up outside radio one. Steve is amazing, I met him in 2006 and he was thrilled that muppet fans had made the effort to go see him.... And kermit!!

So so sorry you lost your pics, but on a positive you always have the story, memories and the signed treasures!!

Chris

Walter

Reaction score
Wow King! That sounds amazing!! The fact that you got to meet them in person! I'm sorry about your picture..But look at it this way, Steve remembered you, and you'll remember him! And now that this story is on here, the whole community will remember! ..And I'm sure Steve and Eric read Muppet Central as well:wink:

muppetlover123

Reaction score
OMG if i could see any puppeteer that would be amazing even a retired one like frank oz or jerry nelson

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
KingR76, you simultaneously have my envy and my sympathy. I'm really sorry about your picture but, conversely, I think you're truly blessed to have met and gotten autographs from Steve Whitmire and Eric Jacobsen, who both sounded like complete and total gentlemen.

It's amazing that they could be so kind to so many fans as they head into the latest round of what must be the craziest media tour - and one of their most hectic experiences in general - that they've taken in their entire lives.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I must admit that I would probably hug Steve Whitmire if I ever have the good fortune to meet him. He has been front and centre (ironically, while being mostly hidden) in preserving the Muppet legacy over the past 22 years and I can't quantify how grateful I am for this.

KingR76

Reaction score
Wow, what a neat encounter. So glad you got to hang around and meet them both. Sorry about your picture, though. :frown:
It was an encounter I'll never forget :smile: The loss of that picture is something I still havent gotten over.