Kids' shows nowadays

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's a lot of the show's appeal to me, the fact that the show is aimed at older people but not really explicit in its humor. I've seen/heard enough of the Adult Swim lineup to know that a lot of the shows cross over into tasteless territory with their jokes, and that's not something I'm really looking for in my cartoons. It's funny, the older I get, the less explicit my tastes seem to get. I don't know whether that's maturity or that I'm getting soft in my old age.
That's the same reason I like Mad more than Robot Chicken. Robot Chicken is capable of some funny sketches, sure... but more than half the time they shove in a cheap drug or sex reference and it's like the equivalent of tossing in a fart joke for no reason in a kid's film. It was funny the first time, but now it's just lazy and predictable. Plus, Mad actually tackles the content of the parody for he most part.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I enjoy Mad a lot, too, even if their animation is all over the place in terms of quality and their humor style occasionally veers into Seltzer & Friedberg territory (but at least the Mad writers know what the Elmo they're parodying). :grouchy: You once said that some of the crew from Kablam works on this, didn't you, Tooth? Because I noticed that some of the segments are drawn in that style. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Robot Chicken is capable of some funny sketches, sure... but more than half the time they shove in a cheap drug or sex reference and it's like the equivalent of tossing in a fart joke for no reason in a kid's film.
Yeah you could tell when they ran out of ideas. It's just a fact of life for any good show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I enjoy Mad a lot, too, even if their animation is all over the place in terms of quality and their humor style occasionally veers into Seltzer & Friedberg territory (but at least the Mad writers know what the Elmo they're parodying). :grouchy: You once said that some of the crew from Kablam works on this, didn't you, Tooth? Because I noticed that some of the segments are drawn in that style. :smile:
Nah, I don't think I said that. But it is very indicative of the magazine, which usually has different art styles all over the place, and has since it's inception.

Yeah you could tell when they ran out of ideas. It's just a fact of life for any good show.
Even when it was new... of course, back when it started, that's what the humor territory was like. 1980's cartoon characters doing blow and stuff like that. It was funny once, and then it was overplayed. Family Guy and Robot Chicken started it, but then collegehumor ruined it. I once saw a collegehumor cartoon that was a parody of the Seth MacFarline shows... and all I could say was, "WOW! They're pretty ballsy to both steal their jokes and insult them."

Mad DOES manage to kill everyone at the end of a quarter of each sketch, though... but it still manages to be funny. I actually quite like the Limitless/Muppets mashup... they even managed to give Fozzie some (for a parody) true to character dialogue.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I can't really get into MAD and I can't stand Robot Chicken (the opening alone terrifies me :embarrassed:)

I find this interesting considering I have a sadistic sense of humor. But even I have a line to draw and Mad just kinda straddles that line. I think it is the same principle as Saw and why I hate it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hate to take the discussion back in the direction of poop jokes, but OI do have to admit...

I was relieved when I finally saw Toy Story 3, because seeing the trailers and such, during Potato Head's scene where he says, "You would not believe what I've been through tonight"... I actually did think that was a turd he stuck his parts into (and the erlier implication of him in a sandbox and Hamm's comments about those things not being Lincoln Logs didn't help).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate to take the discussion back in the direction of poop jokes, but OI do have to admit...

I was relieved when I finally saw Toy Story 3, because seeing the trailers and such, during Potato Head's scene where he says, "You would not believe what I've been through tonight"... I actually did think that was a turd he stuck his parts into (and the erlier implication of him in a sandbox and Hamm's comments about those things not being Lincoln Logs didn't help).
You know what I realized? If Pumbaa from the Lion King was created today, he'd be the most hated Disney character in existence for being mostly fart jokes. But because he came well before that in 1994, he was ahead of the curve, and therefore original in doing so. You could easily say that about the Genie from Aladdin as well... the pop culture imitation and reference thing didn't get tired until well into the 00's, but that movie was 1992 or so.

But the poo thing in TS3 didn't bug me all that much. It was an aside, if anything. Showing it, or reveling in that joke would be disgusting and juvenile. I still hate Tim Hill's sense of "humor" of eating poo (that's absolutely perverted disgusting), but mentioning it and not stepping in it, slipping in it, throwing it or whatever is acceptable, if eye rolling.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I work at a local middle school's after-hours program once a week, and decided to do a completely unscientific experiment and wear my Regular Show t-shirt to see if the 12-14 year old audience was watching the show. After hearing "R-R-R-RINGTONE PICK UP THE PHONE" yelled in my ear for a half-hour straight, I can confirm that the show is popular amongst the younger set. I'm going to wear a Muppets shirt next week and see if I get any reactions.

Drtooth

Reaction score
10-20+ seems to be accurate. I think miss kermie was talking about 9 year olds and younger... Well... even 9... so I'll say 8. I do see Adventure Time marketed directly to kids... T-Shirts, action figures, and the kaboom comic series. I do like Adventure Time, but I really hope to see more Regular Show merchandise in time.
It took me about 2 Regular Shows to really get into it, it was at least 3 Adventure Times for me to really get what they were going for.

Still, I wonder why there aren't any Cartoon Cartoon style shows for the younger 7-9 demo... I guess they like the Friday Night action shows better or something. Still, those Teenager and older based cartoon shows really seem to have brought the network back to where it should be. Just get rid of those last 2 live action shows, and we'll be in business.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
] I do see Adventure Time marketed directly to kids... T-Shirts, action figures, and the kaboom comic series. I do like Adventure Time, but I really hope to see more Regular Show merchandise in time.
There really is a scarcity of Regular Show material. I've seen Adventure Time stuff at Kohl's and other fairly big-name department stores, but to get my Mordecai and Rigby shirt I had to go to a Hot Topic, which isn't exactly the kind of store that welcomes people with open arms. I'm waiting for the "Mordecai and the Rigbys" t-shirt to come out.