charlietheowl's Random Thoughts: Season 1 of TMS

charlietheowl

Reaction score
i didn't miss at the dance when they eventually stopped doing it. because i realized that overall it's not that different from vet's hospital and that one's better/funnier
I think that Vet's hospital is funnier because they use the same characters every time, so the interplay was a lot more consistent. Sometimes the At The Dance sketches relied too much on random Anything Muppets or Monsters who really didn't have to much personality to burn, unlike Rowlf, Piggy, or Janice.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think that Vet's hospital is funnier because they use the same characters every time, so the interplay was a lot more consistent.
Though of course Janice's evolution is interesting to watch in Vet's Hospital. Obviously she started out with a standard female voice, sort of reminiscent of a '40s movie star. Then Richard Hunt took over in the 2nd season and you can see how she gradually becomes the surfer girl, it's quite fascinating actually, lol. :flirt:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Wayne and Wanda may be one-note characters, but most of the time, their one-note was pretty funny.
I've seen some things that imply they were taken off because they didn't work out well, and I've often figured the reason they were let go was because of the departure of Eren Ozker (same reason I assume Hilda was written out). Especially since they did eventually bring back Wayne for a number of solo appearances in later seasons (not to mention Kathy Mullen performing Wanda in one episode). But then again, they didn't seem too hesitant about recasting characters at the time (seems that wouldn't happen until Jim Henson's death in 1990). After all, Janice was recast after the first season, as was Crazy Harry, on Sesame Street most of Brian Meehl and Michael Earl's characters were quickly recast after their departure. So who knows?

charlietheowl said:
Avery Schreiber is a weird looking person.

He kind of looks like Captain Lou Albano on The Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I think I used to think he was the actor who played Mario on that show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've seen some things that imply they were taken off because they didn't work out well
I think the show's style of humor just evolved. The first season was a lot of the standard one note jokes, sort of traditional Vaudeville/Variety show comedy. As the show moved on the humor came more from the individual characters' personality quirks and a sort of overall gentle, rebellious insanity.

Though of course, they never entirely got rid of puns, hehe. :wink:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I've seen some things that imply they were taken off because they didn't work out well, and I've often figured the reason they were let go was because of the departure of Eren Ozker (same reason I assume Hilda was written out). Especially since they did eventually bring back Wayne for a number of solo appearances in later seasons (not to mention Kathy Mullen performing Wanda in one episode). But then again, they didn't seem too hesitant about recasting characters at the time (seems that wouldn't happen until Jim Henson's death in 1990).
The fact that they didn't recast Wanda but kept Wayne makes me think it was sort of both. They might not have felt there was anybody else on staff for Season 2 (correct me if this is a wrong assumption) who could do that kind of traditional female singing voice. But I'm interested in seeing the episode where they bring Wayne and Wanda back even though that's several seasons down the line, and I'm trying to make watching TMS last quite a while.

By the way, does anybody on this board post on the AV Club? There's somebody on there whose comments about the Muppets on their TMS reviews are so informed that I swear they have to be a member of this board as well to have gained all that Muppety knowledge.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
By the way, does anybody on this board post on the AV Club? There's somebody on there whose comments about the Muppets on their TMS reviews are so informed that I swear they have to be a member of this board as well to have gained all that Muppety knowledge.
I post there, under the name Loser User. In fact, speaking of AV Club, I didn't understand the punchline to the telephone pole bit until I read that article. I kept meaning to ask on the forums what the joke was but never quite got it. Turns out the "telelphone pole" is mearly a polish guy in a telephone booth.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I post there, under the name Loser User. In fact, speaking of AV Club, I didn't understand the punchline to the telephone pole bit until I read that article. I kept meaning to ask on the forums what the joke was but never quite got it. Turns out the "telelphone pole" is mearly a polish guy in a telephone booth.
I post on there as "Boober Fraggle". I had been reading their site for awhile, but their Muppet reviews were what finally motivated me to get an account. They are definitely one of the best entertainment sites out there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I didn't understand the punchline to the telephone pole bit until I read that article. I kept meaning to ask on the forums what the joke was but never quite got it. Turns out the "telelphone pole" is mearly a polish guy in a telephone booth.
I'm extremely ashamed to admit I also had to have that joke explained to me, lol.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I really just hate Season one of TMS. It is by far the WORST. I'm just happy I didn't start off with that season from the beginninng of my fandom, or otherwise I'd be turned off right away.
Firstly the characters:
George: An extremely annoying character and is just so boring. Not funny, and he was in the spotlight way to much.
Hilda: Also, a horribly boring and annoying character.
Janice's Voice: I'm so glad that changed
Fozzie and Piggy: I am so glad these two changed. I love Fozzie, he's my favorite character, but Fozzie is season one, is just horrible. He doesn' look good and his voice sounds strange, and I'm so glad Piggy's appearance changed (her voice changes too, as the season goes on)
The skecthes:
Vetenarians Hospital: My favorite sketch is ruined in this season. The jokes are just horrible, in the other seasons, they are corny, but funny. Here, nothing.
At The Dance: The humor in this one is also very dumb. No good jokes and those stupid things with Animal and that other dancer. (ONE-TWO THREE DIP!!!)