Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 42

Drtooth

Reaction score
Almost 5 months from first episode to last episode... yeah.

I shoulda just watched the For Later video and all... but I guess it was a cute story considering it was Elmo-centric. I liked the Elmo doesn't wear clothes line... Was the Job Song part of that video too? I'm very impressed by those 3-D paper animations and always love seeing them. Other than that, I found the D for dolphin animation very impressive. Reminded me of those old sand animations accompanied by the banjo.

Still, it's very disappointing that half the stuff we're going to have to expect in season 43. I kinda wanted to see the child puppeteer prodigy, much more so than Cookie's I gotta be Me song and the Mr. Johnson skit. Really hate that we saw the Justin Beiber parody twice in a 26 episode season and neither of those things once.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Today's street story was good. Ever since SW revamped their site, I couldn't watch it. The season over all was pretty good. The Murray tune-ins this year were better than the ones the last two seasons. The AFFS and SG 2.O bits were good. Most of the street stories were good. The Flood episode was the best one. I can't wait for next season.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm thankful the Murray bits weren't as repeated as they have been. I have a feeling next season is going to have some different tune-ins (hopefully featuring that "Monster at the End of This Show" footage we saw) or a different format in general.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That would be nice, but I can just as easily see them reuse the same Tune Ins from this year. No way they'd pay for that much footage and not show it 3 or 4 times to get their money's worth. I hope they don't, but past instances tell me otherwise.

But the tune ins were a complete improvement over the first years it was used. Pairing Murray back up with Ovejita gave it the edge that it was missing, making the guessing games kinda fun to watch instead of tedious and time filling. Did anyone like the "I'm under... Now I'm over... now where am I?" bit? Seemed like that's something they'd do on an inferior kid's program. Still, I don't think they need the character to double introduce a segment. To say "Super Grover's coming up soon, but first..." and then to have him say "Super Grover's coming up next" just feels redundant and takes more time away from the show... sure, like a combined 20-30 seconds... but there's so much that can fit in that time period.

The other major improvement was removing Spot from Abby's Flying Fairy School. I really think the segment is interesting and fun in its own way... but the Spot thing took away from the segment. It takes you out of the moment, it stops the momentum dead in its tracks and abruptly restarts it when it's over. Something about it doesn't mesh. It tries very hard to look and feel random, but it doesn't.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
We'll probably see some new footage for the tune-ins though, considering there's a new Elmo segment on the way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's my other major complaint... I love Super Grover 2.0... but there's no reason they should have used the segment that many times in a single season. I really disliked that the Ernie and Bert claymation shorts were ones that have been shown on television before, but they certainly could have cut them better... 13 Ernie and Bert segments, 13 Super Grover 2.0 segments... I really don't like the fact we have to see the same segments 3 times a season in the "New" episodes, and I'm sure the little kids will get bored with them.

That's why I don't like the block format... there's not enough room for random Muppet segments (even older ones) and they force themselves to put a half season's worth of material on for 26 episodes. And considering they spread those episodes out for about 5 months, I'm wondering why this is the ratings hit it is.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not as such. I guess using the Justin Beiber parody twice in a single season was more important.