The dark day of Valentines Day is upon us...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
What's worse, my dad tried to pay a guy to take me on a date the other day. The guy declined. On one hand, I'm extremely grateful he said no, because it was terribly embarrassing and I'm sure I would not have felt very respectable knowing I was only going out because my date was being paid.
My goodness! That's taking parental meddling in relationships to a whole new level. I have an uncle who's like that. He's always wondering why me and my other college age cousin aren't bringing significant others to family functions, neglecting to consider that it's possible neither of us actually want to be in a relationship, or that there are other reasons we're not bringing people home (I'm still trying to figure out how to handle my bisexuality with my family, and I'm fairly sure my cousin's asexual). He even encourages us to set up each other up with our respective friends, which leads to us awkwardly smiling and then fleeing the room in search of food or something. It's a shame that some people can't realize that being single is not really a crime or anything to be concerned about.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's worse, my dad tried to pay a guy to take me on a date the other day.
Don't you just hate it when your parents try to get involved with your "love life" like that? Brings to mind the "old days" when it was like sometimes my mom would look for ways to set me up with a girl, like when a girl I bumped into at a party I went to, I ended up bumping into again at the library, and she not-so-subtly mentioned she also works at Baskin-Robbins (like she was trying to lure me in or something), suddenly, it's lke my mom kept wanting to go to Baskin-Robbins, with ulterior motives in mind.

Of course that was years ago, I never saw that girl again, I was never interested in her in the first place (I only agreed to dance with her because I was told it was the proper/mannerly/gentleman thing to do), and well since then I've got an apple in my eye, so yeah, lol.

Any of you guys watch Billy the Exterminator? Back when Donnie kept trying to run Ricky's love life for him because he could never let go of his ex-wife Pam.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
He's always wondering why me and my other college age cousin aren't bringing significant others to family functions
You know something? I actually hate it when someone in the family brings over a "not-quite-part-of-the-family" boyfriend/girlfriend to a family fuction (like holiday dinners and such) and suddenly the family has to act like that not-quite-part-of-the-family boyfriend/girlfriend IS part of the family... it's just really awkward. Like a few years ago, when my uncle's daughter (he's not a biological uncle, so his daughter isn't my cousin) brought her baby daddy (and their baby) to Thanksgiving... talk about awkwardness.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
*fistbumps all the other singles here*

I have been VERY fortunate in that my parents haven't tried setting me up with anyone right now. With me being in college, they actually prefer me being single right now (as a relationship would be too much of a distraction from my studies). I've been there with the whole "sister-bringing-her-boyfriend-to-family-functions" thing, but since they have been discussing possible futures together, I can understand why they'd want to do that.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
You know something? I actually hate it when someone in the family brings over a "not-quite-part-of-the-family" boyfriend/girlfriend to a family fuction (like holiday dinners and such) and suddenly the family has to act like that not-quite-part-of-the-family boyfriend/girlfriend IS part of the family... it's just really awkward.
I'm not a fan either, but our immediate family is so small everyone gets visibly excited when there's a new person in the mix at a function. It's like a bunch of hungry animals getting a meal for the first time in days. There are only seven children total on both my mother and father's side; one lives in Denver, so that leaves six of us at family functions. The oldest one (only 22, mind you) is engaged to be married despite having the social skills of a pile of bricks, so that leaves my cousin and I as the next focus of attention, especially since the other three are still in high school, so nobody really cares if they're in a relationship or not as long as they go to prom or whatever. There's a relative lack of space in family to hide from questions.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
My parents seem to be hinting about me getting a boyfriend. My dad keeps saying I should ask my roommate if her boyfriend has any single friends. Ugh...*facepalm*

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm rully missin' She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named again right now...

I swear, anymore, I'm lucky if I hear from her like TWICE out of the entire year anymore... like this past year, I only heard from her two times during the summer, the year before that it was like three times during the summer...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Really guys... we were doing SOOOOO well this year, and you had to ruin it.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Well, I'm a career single, and content with it. I'm happy for those who enjoy being with someone else, but it's not for me.

As for parental meddling, here's an amusing story. Now, I'm very nonreligious. My father's wife, who is quite Catholic, spent a while encouraging me to go to a certain synagogue. Why? Because they're gay-friendly. Maybe I could meet someone there. I politely said I'd think about it and accepted the info from her, because that's all you can do with a person like her, and, well, I can see that she really did think she was doing me a good turn. But of course I didn't go. I may not be religious, but I still think it's bleedin' disrespectful to go to a place of worship to find a date!