TV Alert: Muppets at the 84th Academy Awards on ABC

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I have to ask, wouldn't have been a bit funny to see :mad: reaction to the win ?

At least Kermit would be modest and say that the movie was worth it and that Jim would be proud. :smile:

Still for the Muppet movie to FINALLY win one and after all her complaints it would have been interesting to see how Miss. Piggy would have reacted to the win.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Wow there was all sorts of muppety goodness last night

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Where were Kermit and Piggy on the show?
You mean on the Oscars? They did a little bit in the middle where they were up in a balcony. It was before the Cirque Du Sollie (I probably didn't speel that right) thing about going to the movies which was pretty cool.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
At about 11:15 p.m. Atlantic time, my wife (also a Muppet fan) reminded me that we have "quiet hours" at our apartment and that we should hold my enthusiasm if "Man or Muppet" won...and that still didn't keep me from letting out a big "YES!!!" when Will Ferrell read Bret McKenzie's name!!!

I'm still smiling over this, two days later. "Man Or Muppet" was easily one of the best parts of The Muppets (and the original scene was one of the funniest things I've seen on a movie screen in the past 10 years) and I'm so happy it got Academy props!

And Bret's speech, while omitting Jason (who didn't seem to mind) and Nick, had just the right touch, especially with his line about Kermit "being like everyone else in Hollywood - a lot smaller in person" and the lovely thank-you to Jim Henson at the end.

Yes, we're all disappointed that the Oscar producers didn't make room for the nominated songs (you had time for Cirque du Soleil and allegedly-famous actors gushing about "the movie experience" but no time for two songs?!?). But don't let that diminish the REAL STORY here...

THE MUPPETS FINALLY HAVE AN ACADEMY AWARD!!! YEAH!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, we're all disappointed that the Oscar producers didn't make room for the nominated songs (you had time for Cirque du Soleil and allegedly-famous actors gushing about "the movie experience" but no time for two songs?!?). But don't let that diminish the REAL STORY here...
Like I said, half of it was just a sad commercial for trying to get people into the theaters. And yes, some of it sounded like a wimpy plea to get SOPA resurrected because if there's one thing that they're losing money off of it's youtube clips and grainy iPhone footage of movies that people who wouldn't go see those films anyway download off of torrents (causally ignoring places that SELL bootlegged copies of DVD's and Chinese sweatshop, lead paint covered "Spader-Man" dolls)... again, slash the freaking prices to a reasonable 7 bucks a ticket (you run enough commercials before the film already that we should be able to see them for free), and maybe people will come back.

But yeah... the real news is that the Muppets have been Susan Lucci-ed out of winning best song for years. I mean, granted... "the First Time it Happens" was hardly the best song in that movie... "Hey a Movie!" and especially "Happiness Hotel" should have got the nomination, as they were far superior and much more indicative of the Muppets.... but Rainbow Connection losing to something from "Martha Rae?!" Yeah... EVERYONE knows how that song goes. How memorable was it that no band has ever covered it ever? I'm almost glad the only competition was their usual WTFrog nomination for something from Rio... Though I still wish that Captain America's wonderful musical number got SOME recognition... but then again, considering who wrote the music for that, it could have won, easily and we wouldn't have our first Academy Award go to a Muppet project.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
But yeah... the real news is that the Muppets have been Susan Lucci-ed out of winning best song for years. I mean, granted... "the First Time it Happens" was hardly the best song in that movie... "Hey a Movie!" and especially "Happiness Hotel" should have got the nomination, as they were far superior and much more indicative of the Muppets.... but Rainbow Connection losing to something from "Martha Rae?!" Yeah... EVERYONE knows how that song goes. How memorable was it that no band has ever covered it ever?
I finally listened to the Oscar-winning Norma Rae song ("It Goes How It Goes" by Jennifer Warnes) on YouTube this morning. It's not bad - quite pretty as a matter of fact - but it struck me as a bit cliched and repetitive.

I'm probably biased as I have 32 years of experience with "Rainbow Connection" as opposed to 32 minutes with "It Goes How It Goes" (I never saw Norma Rae), but I don't think the song stacks up lyrically or melodically to "Rainbow Connection." And you're right, it certainly hasn't emerged as the timeless, classic favourite that "Rainbow Connection" has become.

"Hey A Movie" was always been one of my favourite Muppet songs and if there's any of their material that works as an Oscar nominee (especially as an Oscar production number), that's the one. But I like "The First Time It Happens" so I'm glad that one got a nomination.

I like the Susan Lucci comparison - Susan Lucci might even like it...She'd probably fit in a Muppet Show revival or TV special, come to think of it.