Can we PLEASE implement a rule against bumping old threads?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
That being said, I can sympathize with a lot of the newbies because, well, I'm one of them. When I finally joined this group in January after being a long-time lurker, of course I wanted to comment on threads about the new movie and The Green Album that were weeks (and maybe even months) old. The thread that seems to have really stuck in some of your craws, about 1982's The Fabulous Miss Piggy Show, is one I'd like to comment on at some point. I'm not surprised in the least that some of your newest members are excited about specific topics.
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Like I said, I have nothing against bumping threads because you never know what someone else will dig up of interest.

If it becomes a recurring issue with specific members of the forum (and apparently it did at one point, as Dr. Tooth pointed out), I would hope that the moderators would be able to work something out. But I would hate to see an all-out ban on so-called necroposting.
I don't want people banned either

The way I see it you have to consider what the thread topic is (is it a news story? is it just a fun spammy game? is it something that will confuse other members?), and then judge on if someone is posting to add something of interest or value to the thread or simply posting to increase their post count.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In an attempt to finally put to rest this subject, which apparently has been blown way too far our of proportion...

All Sarge was saying was it would probably behoove the MC community if there was a guideline that discourages people (particularly newer members) from bumping really old threads with responses that contribute nothing to the discussion (such as "Yeah, I agree" and the like).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I honestly don't think such a guideline is possible because where do you draw the line on what is contributing and what isn't? If this kind of thing happens I just ignore it and carry on, no big deal. :smile:

Princeton

Reaction score
My personal issues aside, let's say what we mean: Reviving old threads annoy some of you. This isn't a strong enough reason to make a new rule. If you want to live in a world free of annoyances, move to Oz or Never-Land.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Goodness...I was just trying to make the forum a bit less confusing. I'm still not quite sure some of you are totally understanding. Either way, Snowthy is right. Perhaps the actual title of my thread comes off a bit...erm...strong? I was just making a suggestion and everything got blown out of proportion. All I wanted was for less confusion.

I repeat I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THE BUMPING OF THREADS THEMSELVES.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
No its not you...

I'm just still a tad hurt that Princeton would suggest I was trying to be hurtful to others when my intentions were to help others :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm just still a tad hurt that Princeton would suggest I was trying to be hurtful to others when my intentions were to help others :frown:
Oh I definitely don't think you were trying to be hurtful. I just thought it was a tricky thing to enforce. No worries. :smile:

jackdelayne

Reaction score
That's the problem of print. So many times people read what someone wrote but they can't read the spirit in which it was wrote.

If it helps, I'm a newbie here and I never took what you wrote as an attack or being hurtful, Sgt Floyd.

I don't think there are too many "mean" people on a muppet discussion board. At least I hope not! :laugh:

Anyway, I think the problem may have stopped... or at least I haven't noticed it so far today.