Favorite Books/Authors

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------
Williams wrote a lot of really good stuff. Check out Thomas Wolfe for other works with that same sort of languid Southern feel.

In the middle of Jim Lehrer's latest, "Tension City," his thoughtful but very entertaining (not at all dry) anecdotal history of presidential debates. Great stuff, especially given the latest nonsense under the guise of "primary debates."

------------------

charlietheowl

Reaction score
-----------------
Williams wrote a lot of really good stuff. Check out Thomas Wolfe for other works with that same sort of languid Southern feel.
I'm actually taking a class devoted to the works of Tennessee Williams, which I'll admit I just signed up for because I had heard the professor was low-key, but now I'm really into it. I like those family drama things, plus the southern atmosphere is cool. Reminds me of Flannery O'Connor.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------------
Yes exactly! A lot of the early 20th cent Southerners have the same kind of vibe to their work: bittersweet, a little strange, sometimes dark and very focused on internal thoughts. Love it.

------------------

Princeton

Reaction score
Just joined a book club; here's what we've been assigned so far.

-Sister Carrie (Theodore Dreiser)
-In the Lake of the Woods (Tim O'Brien)
-Spoon River Anthology (Edgar Lee Masters)
-The Pearl (John Steinbeck)
-The Sea-Wolf (Jack London)
-The Late George Apley (John Marquand)
-Darkness at Noon (Arthur Koestler)
-The Way of all Flesh (Samuel Butler)

charlietheowl

Reaction score

Let me know what you think of Sister Carrie. It's always been on my list of books that I kinda-sorta want to read but never have.

Princeton

Reaction score
Let me know what you think of Sister Carrie. It's always been on my list of books that I kinda-sorta want to read but never have.
It's beautifully written but very boring and the characters are very unlikable. In lieu of reading the book, check out the film version with Laurence Olivier.

jackdelayne

Reaction score
Just finished Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle. The book was... interesting... not my regular genre of book, but pretty good. Actually much better than the cheesy movies that were made from it. I was a bit surprised to find out he was also the author of The Bridge Over the River Kwai.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It's beautifully written but very boring and the characters are very unlikable. In lieu of reading the book, check out the film version with Laurence Olivier.
Didn't realize there was a movie version, will have to check that out. I bought a used copy of An American Tragedy for a buck like three years ago and it's just been collecting dust since. I have so many books like that, one day I'll have to actually read them.

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
My favorite author is J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter books are m favorites. Other books I like are A Christmas Carol and Alice In Wonderland. But these are the only books I can think of right now (it's 6.00 am where I live and I can't sleep).

newsmanfan

Reaction score

*snoring* Guh...wuh..wha? Oh, sorry...um. Tim O'Brien has a good rep, but Dreiser and Masters are duller than concrete. Sounds very, um, classic-American-lit heavy. Do they read anything more modern, or genres other than Boring? Sea-Wolf is fun, though a bit melodramatic, and I have a friend who swears by Steinbeck...
-----------------