Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
This time I will try not to watch every single clip and music sample there is, and make it a surprise. It will be EXTREMELY hard, but it's worth a try! :wink:

zoebell

Reaction score
maybe they could do a movie within a movie thing - where they're making a film IN the movie, but the story really happens backstage and behind the scenes.

which of course adds on to the whole thing being a movie in the first place.

MWoO

Reaction score
The awkward thing about period pieces is trying to shoe horn characters into roles that don't fit them. Heck, even when they were technically playing themselves, they had trouble fitting in even the major characters, like Scooter for instance. He had a job on Muppet Show but in TMM and GMC they clearly didn't know what to do with him. At least he got to have all the bright ideas in MTM, hehe. :wink:
I think a western would be perfect actually. I can see parts for all the muppets. Sherif Kermit, Rolf on paino, piggy in a burlesque stage show (g rated of course), fozzie could be the saloon owner down on his luck, scooter could be the kiss up assistant to the mayor of the town or perhaps deputy to the sherif. Or may e have gonzo and fozzie as deputies and have pops own the saloon. Tons of character opportunities with a western and the muppets can still play themselves similar to GMC.

I don't even like westerns but I love the idea of a muppet western.

zoebell

Reaction score
i'm not crazy about it, because i think it's a little too close to the adaptations of christmas carol/treasure island, with a whole different setting and time period and everything

i also think that we're kind of still in the phase of re-introducing them to a new generation, and that for that reason they probably should stay as close to their real selves as possible for the time being. kids were the problem with this one as well, adults loved it but kids were mostly unmoved by the nostalgia

someone pointed out to me that a movie-within-a-movie is too close to what The Muppet Movie was, but i actually think they could do it, but have the story this time be about them trying to MAKE the movie, and how wrong it turns out. so that the real story is what goes on behind the scenes. that'd be different. and that way we could follow their real selves and all

DannyRWW

Reaction score
You know we have been trying to come up with ways to avoid having the humans in the lead, but the one area humans work with the Muppets is as the vilian...so who would make a good villian for the muppets? I like the western idea but I would avoid putting any muppets on the side of the villian (poor Bobo...always the villians foil.. or being hit by the villians foil I suppose).

beaker

Reaction score
1. Aint it Cool News, the #1 movie site that has championed the Muppets every step of their way, is getting their own Muppets show on youtube, starring a Muppety version of Harry Knowles http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54062

2. Jason Segal went on record today saying that he did what he needed to do. To get the ball rolling. To plant the flag of the Muppets in the modern era. Mission accomplished I say.

3. But it's time to bring the Muppets BACK to their non glossy, non ADHD/kiddified
independent film spirit.

These two amazing deleted scenes from the upcoming blu ray release SHOW what could have been...but what COULD be with the next film.

These have a completely different, more real feeling to them. And are just really amazing little scenes in my opinion

beaker

Reaction score
If there was to be yet another "classic retelling/period piece", count me out. I sat through MCC, MTI, Oz. A western? Maybe if its simply a scene of them filming a Western. Muppet films should always be set in the time they are being filmed.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
3. But it's time to bring the Muppets BACK to their non glossy, non ADHD/kiddified
independent film spirit.

These two amazing deleted scenes from the upcoming blu ray release SHOW what could have been...but what COULD be with the next film.
I was just astonished seeing some of these deleted scenes. Much more reminiscent of the original Muppet films. And that's what was deleted?

But it's not the Muppets fault, it's just the state of movies right now.

beaker

Reaction score
I was just astonished seeing some of these deleted scenes. Much more reminiscent of the original Muppet films. And that's what was deleted?

But it's not the Muppets fault, it's just the state of movies right now.
But to me it shouldn't be an excuse for companies to make typical films...that "well this is where audiences are at now and the way the wind is blowing". My skin crawls when I see trailers for Garfield, Alvin, Smurfs, G-Force(and I love guinea pigs), Cat and Dogs, Hop, or 90% of most cgi kids films. Youd think a company would want to buck the trend and do something different. Like Coraline...sure it didnt make a massive amount, but it was very unique. Disney releases Studio Ghibli films, which are completely different than anything out in the modern period. Disney knows it's mostly adults into the Muppets, so perhaps they should just accept it and target that demographic instead of trying to kiddify things. Pirates is aimed at teens to young adults, so Disney covers different ages.