Opinions Obliterated?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
It was important for me to create a thread where people felt free to share good news. A place that clearly weeded out the negativity and that's the path I chose within the forum guidelines. "Happy Thoughts Everyone" could be just as negatively interpreted by others too. We can always nit-pick and second-guess one another. I'll step back and respectfully agree to disagree with you about all of that. I've made my sunshiny thread so see no up-side of continuing down this road. It's up to your own discretion to join that conversation. :excited: You are certainly welcome to do so, of course. Peace. :cool:
Fair enough. I suppose there is no real way to title it without making at least one person or group feel excluded.

(i.e. if you can afford a new DVD player you can afford a Blu one that does a million times more too) and not just the elite. Otherwise many wouldn't care to notice. It does hurt those who are perfectly happy with the lower def DVD player already in their homes.

And because most people are happy with thir DVD players that work perfectly fine, there is no need to buy a blu ray player until their still functioning DVD player goes kablooie. And that is how most people feel. You cannot change someone's opinion unless they want their opinion to change. I think some people forget that :smirk:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I suppose there is no real way to title it without making at least one person or group feel excluded.

And because most people are happy with thir DVD players that work perfectly fine, there is no need to buy a blu ray player until their still functioning DVD player goes kablooie. And that is how most people feel. You cannot change someone's opinion unless they want their opinion to change. I think some people forget that :smirk:
That is true. Again, I felt that same sort of pain when the Muppets Inside video game wasn't available on Mac when that's all I had and that all the Muppet phone apps are now only available on iphones even though I don't own that device. I'm sure they could permit it to play perfectly fine on my smart phone, but what can you do?

I still don't understand why the Blu-debate is of much personal importance since you have a PS3 and those things are hella expensive! Totally envious, by the way. They also play Blu (and DVD), although it is my understanding that some users feel that playing movies can sometimes impact the game player. Also, the Playstation Network makes digital downloads so easy and attractive! Seeing that in person, I know that is the future. Still, I gotta love owning a physical copy of my favorite things.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I have horrible luck with electronics. Now I don't know whether or not it is true that watching movies on the system is bad for it (some claim it overworks the laser), but I don't want to risk it and have it die on me if it is true.

Still, I'm torn between the whole thing. In one respect, I should be glad I can watch them, but on the other hand, its more of a matter of principle that dvd users should not be punished because they can't watch blu rays. I realize that its all companies doing, this, and I agree people should not be mad at Disney. its just the way things are heading, and there is always that voice in the back of your mind saying by the time you get accustomed to blu ray the next thing will take over.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
there is always that voice in the back of your mind saying by the time you get accustomed to blu ray the next thing will take over.
Exactly, I was fine with transitioning from VHS to DVD because it was a very obvious leap in technology that came with a lot of benefits. DVD to Blu Ray does not feel like the same major transition and just comes across as unnecessary and manipulative.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have horrible luck with electronics. Now I don't know whether or not it is true that watching movies on the system is bad for it (some claim it overworks the laser), but I don't want to risk it and have it die on me if it is true.

Still, I'm torn between the whole thing. In one respect, I should be glad I can watch them, but on the other hand, its more of a matter of principle that dvd users should not be punished because they can't watch blu rays. I realize that its all companies doing, this, and I agree people should not be mad at Disney. its just the way things are heading, and there is always that voice in the back of your mind saying by the time you get accustomed to blu ray the next thing will take over.
The digital download will probably take over...but not the rather limited digital download of today. The kind of version I'm thinking of will probably take several years to devise, implement and market. That said, I'm sure that even the initial offerings in that format will pale in comparison to future meatier versions and so on. It's the way of repackaging...forcing us to move forward. That's what drives the economy and it's healthy to measure that with some skepticism. It's still unlikely to change.

One thing I'm pleased about is that these deluxe Blu-ray versions seem to be complete. It doesn't look like they'll double dip with extra extras at the end of the year like so many other home video releases. However, we should all beware that some sites have rumored an extensive Blu-ray set that includes all of the Disney-distributed Muppet movies and who knows what extras they might tack on to enrich that release? That is, if they actually decide to do that. Just a heads up!

Fraggline

Reaction score
I still like the VHS player we have in our house! Ah, fuzzy lines on the screen.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Exactly, I was fine with transitioning from VHS to DVD because it was a very obvious leap in technology that came with a lot of benefits. DVD to Blu Ray does not feel like the same major transition and just comes across as unnecessary and manipulative.
Isn't that basically what just about all technology advances and such are these days? I mean do we really want or need to replace our perfectly working TVs with the 3D TVs, especially considering not too many people even like 3D anyway?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Not me. I already live in a 3 dimensional world, thank you. :smile:
We also live in a loud, colorful world, but that doesn't preclude me from getting a tv that doesn't show movies exclusively in silent black and white... :halo:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
We also live in a loud, colorful world, but that doesn't preclude me from getting a tv that doesn't show movies exclusively in silent black and white... :halo:
See I'd probably love that, I watch TCM all the time, lol.