Favorite Books/Authors

Princeton

Reaction score
*snoring* Guh...wuh..wha? Oh, sorry...um. Tim O'Brien has a good rep, but Dreiser and Masters are duller than concrete. Sounds very, um, classic-American-lit heavy. Do they read anything more modern, or genres other than Boring? Sea-Wolf is fun, though a bit melodramatic, and I have a friend who swears by Steinbeck...
-----------------
Purely classics.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
I wish you joy in the acquisition, then. :wink:

--------------

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Growing up, I loved anything by Roald Dahl. As good as some of the movies based on his stories were, the books are still better:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlie and Great Glass Elevator
James and the Giant Peach
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Magic Finger
And anything by Lillian and Russell Hoban. Long before Jim immortalized it, Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas and Harvey's Hideout were two of my absolute favorites. Still have the first editions, and I'm never parting with them.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Growing up, I loved anything by Roald Dahl. As good as some of the movies based on his stories were, the books are still better:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlie and Great Glass Elevator
James and the Giant Peach
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Magic Finger
And anything by Lillian and Russell Hoban. Long before Jim immortalized it, Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas and Harvey's Hideout were two of my absolute favorites. Still have the first editions, and I'm never parting with them.
Man...the Vermicious Knids STILL give me the creeps! They spell your doom! Aaaaah!
------------------

Ozymandias

Reaction score
At the moment I'm curently re-reading "Watership Down" by Richard Adams and am being reminded, once again, why it's one of my favorite books. :big_grin:

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Just finished reading the latest Skulduggery Pleasant book, "The Death Bringer" by Derek Landy. All the books are strong, humorous, pacy, action-pack, emotional and just downright brilliant. If anyone is a fan of horror, fantasy and humour, I highly recommend these.

Vincent L

Reaction score
Favorite authors: Lucy Maud Montgomery, Charles Dickens
Favorite books: Anne of Green Gables, "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman", Black Beauty, A Christmas Carol
Favorite poem: Halfway Down, by A. A. Milne (what else?)

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
A Feynman fan! Very cool. I had a high school chem and physics teacher who was very much like Feynman. Gave me a love of science I've never shaken.

Very into poet Billy Collins these days. He seems genuine, whereas for some reason most male poets strike me as very full of themselves, even if good...
--------------

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One other famous book from my childhood- The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge. Tells the story of the real-life Jeffrey's Hook Lighthouse located underneath the George Washington Bridge in New York. When I was little, my dad used to work in Edgewater, New Jersey, right across the river from the lighthouse. I could stand at the edge of the pier, and see the tiny lighthouse on the other side, underneath the mammoth structure of the bridge. Talk about big and little! :smile:

At one point, the lighthouse was going to be demolished. But public outcry from little kids who read the book saved it from the wrecking ball. But even so, the lighthouse was neglected for decades. It was rusted, covered with graffiti, and a sad shell of its former self. Then in 1986, funds were allocated to repair the lighthouse, once again spearheaded by kids who read the book. Now the lighthouse is fully restored, granted Landmark status, and every June they have a festival celebrating the lighthouse, and one of the activities includes have various celebrities reading the book aloud to the kids gathered (one year James Earl Jones did the honors). If you're ever in New York City, it's well worth checking out. The lighthouse will always be there, and is still very very proud! :smile:

PanthraDion

Reaction score
One of my favorite book series is The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffery.